Tonight Steve Lovell | Page 3 | Vital Football

Tonight Steve Lovell

Bit of a catch 22, do you give funds to a manager who is unproven and even with funds may fail - if he fails and a new manager comes in you cant give him a budget as well, you cant spend it twice

True, but I'm not sure we get to hear his true feelings. He's a very good company man.
Funny how all our managers seem to be good company men. Even after they leave us. I actually have to say, other than pulis, I've never heard an ex manager say a bad word about Scally's commitment or backing. Actually jed had bad words with Scally, but to be fair he had the best budget for a gills manager in years so that's just laughable. We were still paying for jeds budget over a year after he left us.

It never fails to amuse me how many fans who dont know Scally are so quick to dismiss all the people who do know him who try to tell them Scally isn't all that bad.

Funny how all our managers seem to be good company men. Even after they leave us. I actually have to say, other than pulis, I've never heard an ex manager say a bad word about Scally's commitment or backing. Actually jed had bad words with Scally, but to be fair he had the best budget for a gills manager in years so that's just laughable. We were still paying for jeds budget over a year after he left us.

It never fails to amuse me how many fans who dont know Scally are so quick to dismiss all the people who do know him who try to tell them Scally isn't all that bad.

You scally lover you, lol.

Bit of a catch 22, do you give funds to a manager who is unproven and even with funds may fail - if he fails and a new manager comes in you cant give him a budget as well, you cant spend it twice
So from your comments it sounds like Scally is still considering dismissing Lovell and giving a new manager backing, rather than just giving Lovell money to spend now

So from your comments it sounds like Scally is still considering dismissing Lovell and giving a new manager backing, rather than just giving Lovell money to spend now

not that i am aware - but its a choice that has to be made

Understandably Lovell gave nothing away.But he did say a experienced midfielder and a striker would be targeted.

Or do you risk falling gates and relegation which pushes the club backwards not forwards and makes a mockery of plans for a shiny new 30K stadium.

It's a risk but you might need to prioritize mitigation of the above over the shiny new stadium for a bit.

Absolutely no guarantee, in fact I would say unlikely, that this squad less eaves and holy would bounce back any time soon.

Unfortunately I found myself giving up on the interview before the end as it seemed clear to me he didn't know what the answer is with the current crop of players. He's sticking with what he believes is the correct way to proceed, shape wise for both home and away which is laudable. I'm all for having the courage of your convictions. What did concern me is when he said we'll carry on till the players "get it". Really ! These are professional players who have probably been kicking a ball since the age of 6 and they can't complete the basics of marking, picking up runners and not getting sucked in to watching the ball.

One caller said it felt as if the fans are now resigned to league 2 football, I fear that Steve with the current crop of players and budget apparently available to him, is resigned to the same fate.

Respectfully- do you not think that if SL knew the answers (to inconsist performances) he would have implemented them by now?

Wilkinson - not my type of player and told him so.

Nash - needs to do more

Oldaker - was doing well but dropped workrate. Now back on track and will play mant games.

Nash- it’s not going to happen for him here

Oldaker- we need him back in the team to provide variety in an otherwise limited midfield

I'm sure he mentioned that Oldaker had had some personal problems. He didn't make a big deal of it and only said it once but I'm sure he said it.

I'm sure he mentioned that Oldaker had had some personal problems. He didn't make a big deal of it and only said it once but I'm sure he said it.

Yes I remember him saying that too. Something about personal issues so was removed from the squad and SL spent time talking to him.