Tommy Elphick Thread | Vital Football

Tommy Elphick Thread

I'm at a loss for words. If players are not committed to the cause why are they being selected? I would rather an excited youngster who is going to run out of his skin to get the first team, than a selfish seasoned pro wondering if he is going to get another lucrative contract. If this is true management need to sort it out immediately.

I'm at a loss for words. If players are not committed to the cause why are they being selected? I would rather an excited youngster who is going to run out of his skin to get the first team, than a selfish seasoned pro wondering if he is going to get another lucrative contract. If this is true management need to sort it out immediately.

We have been a soft touch since O'Neill started paying over the odds for average and unused players. We have not had decent collective spirit when things are not going well for years. Too comfortable financially and luxurious in terms of facilities. Too many made for life just by signing for Villa and living the life of luxury.

It has to change for us to rise again. Sooner rather than later, or our new owners may grow tired of spunking money on a busted flush. :(

Think he's getting at a mixture of things. For one, players losing focus on the pitch when the team isn't playing as well as it should, and maybe trying too much on their own instead of working as a team. For another, players maybe thinking their Villa future is winding down, and unable to maintain enthusiasm; it's difficult to fight for your future if you haven't the confidence you can make a difference to it.

Some players whose future is in doubt are certainly putting the effort in, Elphick and Whelan in particular. Taylor's certainly tried hard when he's been in. Of the players actually selected for the team I'd guess that there are very few not playing for their futures, if any. I don't think it's the reason why we're slumping a bit. Players like Barney and Lansbury must know it's going to be difficult to have a future at Villa though.

Well at least Gabby will avoid being the subject of all the criticism this time round.
This is pretty much common place across most clubs when they are in a bad run of form, I don't think we are an exception. Players who aren't getting in the team when we are playing shit and losing, are obviously going to be frustrated at not getting picked.

This is when you need a few strong characters in the dressing room to sort any rifts out, we seem to be lacking these at the moment. Tammy and Mings seem 2 of our most vocal and they will be off again in the Summer

Could start with the CB position Chester alongside Mings would help never rated Elphick anyway. Think you need to be one of the better players before you start knocking your team mates.

I really can't wait for the summer to get these bunch of arseholes out of our club, they have a dream job most of us would give our right arm for and they can't even pull together for 90mins, absolute disgrace, this player power needs stopping big time, looking at the Kepa incident too, sums up these over paid and over privileged wankers.

People pressing from the front is the game that Smith wants to play, is it not? We’ve played our best stuff when we press high, yes we were letting goals in but outscoring the opposition at least.

A defender like Elphick gets exposed very quickly when they are left at the back to deal with a striker on their own. For Ephick, two midfielders sat in front of him is a reassurance.

I don’t know what to think about the comments, I find Elphick looks like he lacks of bit of desire on the pitch and bottles a tough game.

I agree we are disjointed where players press, but if someone like SJM pushes up to press then the midifield behind him need to step up along with the full backs.

Glad MF covered this. What I was writing in my head was very angry!

You need a strong manager, strong coaches and some strong characters amongst the players.

We seem to lack in all areas right now.

I'm frankly gobsmacked as all fans must be surely?

They are meant to be professionals.

:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

Funnily enough I read it differently not that there were major splits but definitely that players are pulling in different directions. I read it as some players trying too hard and wanting to do a lot on their own without following instructions or being a team player e.g. Kodjia, El Ghazi, probably El Mo too.

I did notice last week and appears to be the case since he joined that Mings ruffles feathers. He gave El Mo a bollocking last week and El Mo didnt react well and I cant help but think some players don't like how Mings acts. I see a leader through force tbh a lad who doesnt like passengers.

Funnily enough I read it differently not that there were major splits but definitely that players are pulling in different directions. I read it as some players trying too hard and wanting to do a lot on their own without following instructions or being a team player e.g. Kodjia, El Ghazi, probably El Mo too.

I did notice last week and appears to be the case since he joined that Mings ruffles feathers. He gave El Mo a bollocking last week and El Mo didnt react well and I cant help but think some players don't like how Mings acts. I see a leader through force tbh a lad who doesnt like passengers.
Re Mings- definitely the future. Sign him up at all costs.

I don't see too much in what he said. Some players don't know how to close down the opposition in packs.

I don't see too much in what he said. Some players don't know how to close down the opposition in packs.

I agree, but Elphicks comments (to me) sound like a criticism of the player willing to press rather than pack.

As a player you trust your team mates, my earlier example of SJM pressing more often than not see’s the two other midfielders in their usual position rather than stepping up.

Our current crop of players with a few exceptions do not have the desire, ability or fitness to do it.

The biggest difference for me in the second 45 vs the first was the speed in which we passed the ball. Guys were much quicker to release and move. In the first 45 it appeared they would hesitate to pass and not sure if they didn't want to pass to certain other players or what but when they pass slowly and the defense is collapsing quickly to the player on the ball that leads to a lot of bad passes and interceptions which in turn leads to frustration and contempt in the ranks. Not the first match in this run I have seen this same thing either.

To be honest I don't understand what Elphick was thinking when he made this statement. He doesn't name who the supposedly "guilty" parties are so it's left to the imagination of the fans. If you're going to make statements like this name and Shame or shut up and keep it in the dressing room.

I agree, but Elphicks comments (to me) sound like a criticism of the player willing to press rather than pack.

As a player you trust your team mates, my earlier example of SJM pressing more often than not see’s the two other midfielders in their usual position rather than stepping up.

Our current crop of players with a few exceptions do not have the desire, ability or fitness to do it.

This.

Especially the last bit.

Manager needs to sort this, grab them by the balls and give us a better end to the season. It's their job.