Tom | Vital Football

Tom

Is this the best ducking and diving our Club has ever done in the transfer market?

Very clever: a handful of loan players whose wages are either wholly or part paid by parent clubs releasing budget to enable us to sign top quality permanent players on higher wages than we would normally be able to afford.

I’ve repeatedly said on this forum that managers earn their wage through recruitment. Assembling the best possible squad and trying to avoid buying ‘lemons’.

Lovell, Pennock, Hess, Edinburgh, Stimpson (sic) didn’t have those networks that Evans has. Until last season, we never fully utilised the loan market.

Some fans can’t believe that we have a lower budget than the Lovell days. I can. That’s the value of Evans.

I’ve repeatedly said on this forum that managers earn their wage through recruitment. Assembling the best possible squad and trying to avoid buying ‘lemons’.

Lovell, Pennock, Hess, Edinburgh, Stimpson (sic) didn’t have those networks that Evans has. Until last season, we never fully utilised the loan market.

Some fans can’t believe that we have a lower budget than the Lovell days. I can. That’s the value of Evans.
Didn't Lovell or Pennock bring in Oglivie? Didn't Edinburgh bring in the Chelsea flop? I am pretty sure we've brought in plenty of loans in previous years also.

I think the main difference is not the networks, but that Evans is an experienced manager and a) knows what to say to youngsters, and b) knows how to convince clubs he can be trusted with the top youngsters. Evans said that it is the good experience with Jones/O'Connor last year and the good feedback they gave about GFC has made the good loan signings this year possible.

Agree with all the above. We have a cracking squad here now. Mr Evans and Mr Scally have done some mighty fine work.

Imagine what it’d be like with no injuries, a fully fit squad 😳

Agree with all the above. We have a cracking squad here now. Mr Evans and Mr Scally have done some mighty fine work.

Don't disagree but,but for the injury to O'Keefe I doubt very much that Coventry would have been as generous.The fact that the Coventry player didn't get a straight red almost certainly helped us.

I got us at 25/1 at the start of the season on Skybet, which I thought was short - bizarrely, after our good start to the season and numerous excellent additions, we are now 40/1. Worth a dabble e/w surely?

Wonderful addition - Evans (with Scally's backing) has put together the finest transfer window I can recall for the Gills. Genuinely optimistic.