Tom Pearce | Page 2 | Vital Football

Tom Pearce

Nonsense, not a goalkeeper on the planet that would have come for those balls or if they did get to them, especially Gillingham's winner.

Utter rubbish.
Both were on the edge of the 6 yard box & both were able to headed by an opponent so how would a goalkeeper who can get extra height to claim the ball with his arms not have been able to reach them? the guy who headed the winner was even stooping when he touched it so to say the keeper wouldn't have been able to claim it doesn;t stand up
Our defence had to be so deep coz they knew Stillie didn't command his area & true to form for both goals he was about a foot off his line & rooted to the spot

Utter rubbish.
Both were on the edge of the 6 yard box & both were able to headed by an opponent so how would a goalkeeper who can get extra height to claim the ball with his arms not have been able to reach them? the guy who headed the winner was even stooping when he touched it so to say the keeper wouldn't have been able to claim it doesn;t stand up
Our defence had to be so deep coz they knew Stillie didn't command his area & true to form for both goals he was about a foot off his line & rooted to the spot
Not sure about that. Defence on the first header was deep because of the corner before and one of the cb's dropping back when the line didn't move up.
The second one is a defensive error at the front post helped by a deflection. No way a keeper is getting to it. Even if he does I suspect their striker is getting there first.
Just opinion mind.

Not sure about that. Defence on the first header was deep because of the corner before and one of the cb's dropping back when the line didn't move up.
The second one is a defensive error at the front post helped by a deflection. No way a keeper is getting to it. Even if he does I suspect their striker is getting there first.
Just opinion mind.

All opinions it's true - watching them both again several times, I actually think I'm being harsher about the equaliser rather than the winner as that one comes in at height. The cross for the winner comes in flat
I'll always maintain that a good keeper (which Carroll was) rather than an average keeper (which Stillie was) would have come for those crosses - Stillie's footwork & anticipation was non-existent & he doesn't move in the build up to either of em

That said, it didn't help that I'm not sure their opener fully crossed the line, De Zeeuw's which wasn't given definitely did, it was a stupid & unnecessary challenge from Sharp for his 2nd caution & I think that Benson's substitutions didn't help us especially after the sending off as we had no outlet & every time we pumped the ball forward we had no-one to win it or hold it up & it was just coming straight back at us

Just opinion mind.

Thankyou that is how I saw it, no way as he ever seen a goalkeeper come that far out of his goal (corner of the 6 yard box) and that includes the best in the world as happened for Gillingham's winner.

Thankyou that is how I saw it, no way as he ever seen a goalkeeper come that far out of his goal (corner of the 6 yard box) and that includes the best in the world as happened for Gillingham's winner.

You've never seen a keeper come out to the edge of their 6 yard box to claim a ball??????? o_Oo_Oo_O
And it wasn't the corner of the 6 yard box for the winner either. It was nowhere near the corner - if you are looking directly at the goal, it was about a yard to the left of the left hand post
If a ball is coming in to the 6 yard area that is the keepers to claim - not to stand there feet rooted to the floor waiting for your defence to clear it or an attacker to get it & hope you can save it which on both occasions he couldn't react quick enough to as it was too close to him

MB, you are probably remembering the days when keepers actually dominated the six yard box, however those days are sadly in the distant past for most coaches these days. The modern game is played differently and keepers are encouraged to stay on the line more. The problem being that players nowadays are encouraged to send the ball in on a flat trajectory, which incidentally is why more crosses are cut out by the first man, and are more difficult for the keeper to take as their height advantage is minimised by the ball coming in lower. There is also the problem with the ball moving in the air far more these days and the tendency for players to block off the keeper. I'm not saying this is applicable to the goals that were conceded against Gillingham but it was about that time that the coaching manual was being changed and perhaps Stillie was a "modern" type of keeper.

Watch Peter Schmeichel’s save against Rapid Wien in ‘96. Buffon ‘06 WC final. And Kevin Trapp Vs. Chelsea in ‘16.Some of the world’s best. Ball comes in lands on the 6 yard line. All stayed firmly planted on the line. Amazing saves.
Maybe it was different in the past? I don’t know haven’t seen enough old football to accurately determine that. However I do know that it’s reallllly pushing it to say he should have saved them both.

MB, you are probably remembering the days when keepers actually dominated the six yard box, however those days are sadly in the distant past for most coaches these days. The modern game is played differently and keepers are encouraged to stay on the line more. The problem being that players nowadays are encouraged to send the ball in on a flat trajectory, which incidentally is why more crosses are cut out by the first man, and are more difficult for the keeper to take as their height advantage is minimised by the ball coming in lower. There is also the problem with the ball moving in the air far more these days and the tendency for players to block off the keeper. I'm not saying this is applicable to the goals that were conceded against Gillingham but it was about that time that the coaching manual was being changed and perhaps Stillie was a "modern" type of keeper.

We must be watching different modern keepers coz the "world's best" these days are always coming out & punching the ball clear - with varying degrees of success

Watch Peter Schmeichel’s save against Rapid Wien in ‘96. Buffon ‘06 WC final. And Kevin Trapp Vs. Chelsea in ‘16.Some of the world’s best. Ball comes in lands on the 6 yard line. All stayed firmly planted on the line. Amazing saves.
Maybe it was different in the past? I don’t know haven’t seen enough old football to accurately determine that. However I do know that it’s reallllly pushing it to say he should have saved them both.

Did I say that a keeper should come out & try & claim every cross??
The 3 examples you've given are all different to the 2 Gillingham ones in the play off final - you could argue that Schmeichel could have got out to the Vienna one but not for the other 2
You're also comparing champagne with blue nun with those 3 keepers to Stillie - if you have better reactions & are generally a better shot stopper you don't always need to come out to try & claim it

And whats with all this "old football" :wagging::wagging::wagging::wagging:

Did I say that a keeper should come out & try & claim every cross??
The 3 examples you've given are all different to the 2 Gillingham ones in the play off final - you could argue that Schmeichel could have got out to the Vienna one but not for the other 2
You're also comparing champagne with blue nun with those 3 keepers to Stillie - if you have better reactions & are generally a better shot stopper you don't always need to come out to try & claim it

And whats with all this "old football" :wagging::wagging::wagging::wagging:

I am saying the best keepers in the world wouldn't go out to collect very similar crosses (Which they are). Meaning that if the best don't do it then they are probably doing it right, doing otherwise would be abnormal. It would also be safe to assume that the 'Blue nun' keeper Stillie wouldn't have been as quick to get off his line as the best in the world would be.

I stand by my stance that Stillie wouldn't have got to either of those and would look a mug especially on the second if he had.

Mentioned "Old football" as someone mentioned how goalkeeping styles had changed. Sorry if that ruffled your feathers but this is 20 years ago and I was still a bairn back then.

Why you are still pushing this is beyond me. Said ages ago that it was just my opinion but you seem fixated on it. Maybe look forward to this weekend's massive match instead of banging on about something that happened 20 odd years ago?

No need to reply,

RM

We must be watching different modern keepers coz the "world's best" these days are always coming out & punching the ball clear - with varying degrees of success

I concede there are some keepers who come out occasionally to punch the ball clear, however they are unusual in the context of modern football. The majority of keepers are in the mould of how I described them in my post. They do not dominate the box as they did in years gone by.

In the sixties and seventies, the era I was talking about, most keepers were encouraged to catch the ball and punching was seen as something the "foreigners" do. It was frowned upon by English coaches and was seen as poor keeping. It was only with the influx of overseas players and coaches that the practice was adopted.

As I say, I accept that there are some keepers who come to punch the ball clear, but there are far more that are more comfortable to hold the line and let the central defenders clear the ball.

Personally I would prefer to see a keeper that dominates his area and takes the responsibility to wholeheartedly commit to come and claim the ball or vocally organise his defence to make the clearance, rather than the ones that make half hearted weak attempts and end up in no mans land.

Personally I would prefer to see a keeper that dominates his area and takes the responsibility to wholeheartedly commit to come and claim the ball or vocally organise his defence to make the clearance, rather than the ones that make half hearted weak attempts and end up in no mans land.

Me too. Stillie wasn't a bad shot stopper to be fair but had zero command of his area &, it always appeared, not much by way of communication with his defenders
Without watching the footage again I think Gillingham's opening goal was bundled in by McGibbon from about 3 yards out which I'd also expect a keeper to have claimed

Anyway, I must stop as it seems some other posters are getting upset 😢😢

What happened to the Tom Pearce debate?

It turned into bongsman defending the bollox he posted in the first place, Lev Yashin or Gordon Banks(two of the greatest ever) would not have got near those crosses he is talking about, the pace they came in at and distance from goal where they were headed shows this clearly.

It turned into bongsman defending the bollox he posted in the first place, Lev Yashin or Gordon Banks(two of the greatest ever) would not have got near those crosses he is talking about, the pace they came in at and distance from goal where they were headed shows this clearly.

It's Bongsmon not man ;-)
That aside, you've still not explained why a goalkeeper should not be expected to claim a cross played flat into his 6 yard box that an attacker has to stoop to head.
And saying Banks & Yashin wouldn't have got near those crosses doesn't make it so

Back to the OP, as i said originally I would drop Pearce for Robinson