Tom Pearce | Vital Football

Tom Pearce

wafc4ever30

Vital Youth Team
Apologies if i missed this on another thread, but i can see why they were happy to sell Robinson. Firstly it was a great deal for all, but secondly Pearce looks like he could be an absolute worldy of a player over the next couple of years. Seen him twice now and he has been fantastic. Needs work on his fitness but that lad looks class. Calm on the ball and a brilliant tackler. Looking forward to seeing how he develops and who starts over the rest of the season

Apologies if i missed this on another thread, but i can see why they were happy to sell Robinson. Firstly it was a great deal for all, but secondly Pearce looks like he could be an absolute worldy of a player over the next couple of years. Seen him twice now and he has been fantastic. Needs work on his fitness but that lad looks class. Calm on the ball and a brilliant tackler. Looking forward to seeing how he develops and who starts over the rest of the season

Leeds fans were not pleased they were selling him to us for less than 300k, they thought he really impressed when they threw him in last season covering for injuries and that he should've been in contention this year. You never know in football how players will react at different clubs, playing with different players and under different managers but it sounded at the time like a very astute piece of business - and stopped him going Barnsley which in our relegation battle with them isn't a bad thing.

Leeds fans were not pleased they were selling him to us for less than 300k, they thought he really impressed when they threw him in last season covering for injuries and that he should've been in contention this year. You never know in football how players will react at different clubs, playing with different players and under different managers but it sounded at the time like a very astute piece of business - and stopped him going Barnsley which in our relegation battle with them isn't a bad thing.
So credit where credit is due - well done Paul Cook!!!

So credit where credit is due - well done Paul Cook!!!

Credit where it's due to whoever scouted him. Cook said himself at the fans forum before last that he couldn't take any credit for Reece James and it was the recruitment team that found him. I suspect as this lad was mostly playing reserve games like Reece it was more likely Chris Brass' team doing that level of scouting again but if it was a Paul Cook deal then fair play to him.

Credit where it's due to whoever scouted him. Cook said himself at the fans forum before last that he couldn't take any credit for Reece James and it was the recruitment team that found him. I suspect as this lad was mostly playing reserve games like Reece it was more likely Chris Brass' team doing that level of scouting again but if it was a Paul Cook deal then fair play to him.
Posters blame Cook for recruiting "bad" players so in the same vein we should credit Cook for recruiting good players or do we have other rules?

Is there anyone else thinks Tom should stop in the team, I think it would be very unfair to drop him for Jedi given the events of last week and him having a good game against Leeds ?
I agree, players should be in the squad based on how well they did in the last game, and for him to have come in and done so well against a top team, knowing he's only got the chance because his competition looked to be leaving (by which I mean he didn't 'earn' the start, if not for AC Milans interest we all know Jedi would have started) and with the pressure of needing to win - away from home with our record - to fight off relegation, he absolutely deserves the chance to stay in the team.

Jedis a quality player, and if Pearce does keep his place on merit, I think it might well be worth playing Jedi further forward as a winger to see how he gets on, let the two of them work together on that left hand side and work the overlap. He's got the pace, and knowing hes got decent cover behind him means he might let the shackles off and cause some damage by going at people. Plus, if he can work on his delivery, he'll be more dangerous in those advanced positions. Speaking (very) optimistically, he can be our lower league Gareth Bale! Who can help keep us up, then be sold on for double AC Milans £10mil!

Pearce may have been all that has been reported, however the chance was given to him by the fact that Jedi looked to be moving on. We need all the experience we have in the next game and Robinson has the advantage over Pearce in that respect. Plus, given Antonee's show of faith by attending the game at Leeds he has shown me a commitment to the club and deserves to be rewarded for that loyalty. He should be back in the team on Saturday and Pearce should be on the bench. I know it sounds hard on Tom but I am sure he would understand the situation and hopefully his opportunity to make the position his own will come.

Its a difficult one - when an understudy steps up & plays well.
I remember back in 1999/2000 when Roy Carroll had to have an appendix op which meant he missed the play off semi final (& possibly the very back end of the season). Derek Stillie came in played well and on paper deserved to keep his place as he hadn't done anything wrong.
John Benson felt the same & so Carroll found himself on the bench at Wembley. No-one moaned but in all likelihood I think that decision cost us as Derek Stillie used to play in concrete on his goal line & didn't come for either the cross that led to the equalising goal or the identical one that came over minutes later for the winner & I'm pretty confident that Carroll would have come out & claimed them both
Robinson is far from perfect & even in today's inflated market isn't worth remotely close to £10mill including add ons but I think with his greater experience that he should be put straight back in the starting XI.
Pearce's time will come next season coz i don't think that there's any doubt that Robinson will move on in the summer. Even if AC Milan don;t go back in for him, their interest alone would have piqued the antennae of scouts across Europe & some other club will offer money for him

Is there anyone else thinks Tom should stop in the team, I think it would be very unfair to drop him for Jedi given the events of last week and him having a good game against Leeds ?

I can't comment on his performance as I didn't see the full match but with two home games close together then he should keep as much of the same team together for the first game.

I did think Pearce should have killed the game with the one on one chance that he created though.

I can't comment on his performance as I didn't see the full match but with two home games close together then he should keep as much of the same team together for the first game.

I did think Pearce should have killed the game with the one on one chance that he created though.

Are you saying stick with 5 at the back and 3 defensive mids for a home game Sid?

Posters blame Cook for recruiting "bad" players so in the same vein we should credit Cook for recruiting good players or do we have other rules?

I can only speak on behalf of myself, and you wont find a post of me blaming Cook for poor recruitment this season, i've said continually the squad is good enough just not utilised correctly. If you look back far enough you'll see that when the Summer window closed I was very complimentary of the signings brought in.

So put the boot on the other foot do you think Paul Cook should get credit for signing a player if it was the recruitment team?

As i said you give credit to whoever made the singing. I don't mind who did it Brass, Cook, individual scouts, etc.

There is certainly a good shout to keep Pearce in the side, but Robinson has arguably been our best player this season and as TB already mentioned he's come back and shown fantastic proffesionalism by attending the game and putting whatever happened behind him so fast and get back in the fold. So we may feel as well as Pearce did it is still Robinsons shirt for now.

I am happy either way to be honest. Although i'm sligtly tempted to favour maybe giving Pearce a crack as he appears on first glance to have a better cross which is what we've been lacking. Having genuine competition for places is a nice problem to have.

Its a difficult one - when an understudy steps up & plays well.
I remember back in 1999/2000 when Roy Carroll had to have an appendix op which meant he missed the play off semi final (& possibly the very back end of the season). Derek Stillie came in played well and on paper deserved to keep his place as he hadn't done anything wrong.
John Benson felt the same & so Carroll found himself on the bench at Wembley. No-one moaned but in all likelihood I think that decision cost us as Derek Stillie used to play in concrete on his goal line & didn't come for either the cross that led to the equalising goal or the identical one that came over minutes later for the winner & I'm pretty confident that Carroll would have come out & claimed them both.

Nonsense, not a goalkeeper on the planet that would have come for those balls or if they did get to them, especially Gillingham's winner.

Was a great goal by Haworth. I remember it like yesterday. That was an exciting game, shame we were on the wrong end of the result

Also remember it well-ish. We were outnumbered about 10:1 but a good day. Went with a mate from work and we both had too much en route....he went for a piss just before kick off, got lost, and I never saw him again till the coach home.

Happy days.

Robinson’s been our player of the season. He’ll be straight back in on Saturday and rightly so.

Also remember it well-ish. We were outnumbered about 10:1 but a good day. Went with a mate from work and we both had too much en route....he went for a piss just before kick off, got lost, and I never saw him again till the coach home.

Happy days.
You are right we were outnumbered. I think they sold out half the stadium. It was one of the first dates I took my would-be-wife on. What a romantic! It didn’t put her off though!