Today's The Date | Vital Football

Today's The Date

SeasideEssexXile

Vital Football Legend
10 years today since that day at Wembley.

The club are revisiting it and you can watch the whole match again from 1945hrs tonight on the clubs youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/officialblackpoolfc

Mke sure you watch, and just checking that the knobbers are:

Ironically it is 9yrs today since our ultimate relegation from the Prem. The ecstacy and the agony, not mnay days will give us the ups and downs and the full range of emotions that this date has.

Vaughan, Southern and Adam have all been interviewed by Radio Lsncashire as part of their 10 year anniversary feature. Adam indicated that his contract at Reading ends in two weeks and thst he woild be interested in coming bsck ss he is settled on the Fylde. If wage caps ard going to be introduced after next season, it may be worth investing in him for a decent promotion push next season? .

View from Baadiff.
Nice to know it still rackles Chopra.
Point of note: Etuhu became a 'customer' of mine a couple of years after this final and I took the proverbial out of him at every opportunity.

Remembering Blackpool, 10 Years On
IMG_0854-800x450.jpg

newsnow_f_ab.gif

Cardiff City FC News
There is a famous photograph of Charlie Adam’s goal for Blackpool in the play-off final against Cardiff that is almost a point of view shot, taken from behind him. You can see that the ball is heading in and I can see me in the crowd. My head is just above the crossbar in the shot and I had a great view of it. I also get to relive it over and over again whenever the picture does the rounds.
To me, it kind of sums up what following Cardiff often feels like. A regular boot in the swingers. Of course, I appreciate that, in the grand scheme of things, these are the good times. Compared to how shit Cardiff used to be, we’ve been spoilt in the last couple of decades. Four trips to Wembley is remarkable, but three defeats hurt to differing degrees. Blackpool was the worst though. Comfortably.

There is nothing quite like a play-off final. I was philosophical about the outcome of the two cup finals, but the Blackpool game was agony. I would have taken going a goal down rather than lose Jay Bothroyd so early on. To lead twice and still trail at half time felt like the writing on the wall.
I remember clearly at half time feeling like the game was already over, and I never feel resigned to defeat during a match. I can’t even remember the second half. I just reasoned that fate felt like it was against us, that a cobbled together Blackpool side were not going to let this opportunity slide.
They were also managed by Ian Holloway, who was in charge of the opposition when Cardiff had defeated QPR to get in to the second tier. He was so noble in defeat that day, applauding Cardiff as they lifted the trophy, that I didn’t even begrudge him his revenge.
It was just a massive opportunity missed. The chance to see Cardiff in the Premier League with Bothroyd and Michael Chopra up front, Peter Whittingham at the peak of his powers and Joe Ledley. Dave Jones with a few bob to spend. A sliding doors moment, as it almost always is for the losers in the single most lucrative football match to be found.
Over the years, I’ve spoken to a few of those involved that day in various pieces for View From the Ninian. Chopra, who was always a big game player and phenomenal on the day, admitted that he still thinks about the game on an almost daily basis. Bothroyd still has to justify the extent of the injury that forced him to withdraw. I quizzed Jones on his decision to bring on Kelvin Ethuhu over Ross McCormack.
It is a game that still lives with you. It made supporters more susceptible to a rebrand and even more desperate to taste life in the top tier. It was the crest of a wave for Blackpool, who are now in League One after a lengthy battle with strange owners. Now they haven’t got a pot to piss in and Gary Madine.
It was probably the making of Cardiff in some respects, with Vincent Tan an interested onlooker in the stands that day. They have been competitive ever since and that is both no mean feat and something worth celebrating. If someone could just airbrush me out of that photo, I would be ever so grateful.

Is that a contributing factor into why he was so useless for us maybe? There can be no grievances, I watched the final the other day we was far the better side as we were against Forest. Take his point on Gary Madine though he's missed some sitters since joining us has that bloke.

I can't watch it too emotional for me.

I watched Sky highlights of the 2009/10 season and the heartbreak on final day. I was bombarded with messages from United fans before the game saying they wanted us to win.

I've never watched the wet spam final.
Angel Phillips sitters missed.
Unfortunately whenever I hear Dobbies nane my first thought is that miss in the final.
I read Fat Sams autobiography on holiday last year. Ssid they were out on their feet in that final and would have lost it in ectra time. We had Dicko waiting to come on too....

A third one here who has never watched the WH final. We were much the better side that day and one of their fans on the tube said afterwards 'we mugged you today'

I’ve never watched the West Ham game either it was a new feeling to me I remember walking down the steps just after full time I’ve never known us to be on the losing side a big occasion like that gutted I was.

I’ve never watched the West Ham game either it was a new feeling to me I remember walking down the steps just after full time I’ve never known us to be on the losing side a big occasion like that gutted I was.
If only G.T.F had been fit to play with his tactical brain it no doubt would have been a different result......If you know who had let Ollie keep that team we would have been automatically up the following one.

Gtf was a player for the big occasions cool as a cucumber in front of goal how we could do with someone like him now