Today’s Performance | Page 3 | Vital Football

Today’s Performance

While it is accepted such verbal agreements tend to happen despite being against the rules, a verbal agreement isn't the same as signing a contract.
If you have entered into a verbal agreement and is hasn't been put in writing in any form, it's still enforceable. A verbal agreement is just as legally enforceable as a written one. However, you will strike problems in proving the terms of the agreement. So, it will come down to a matter of evidence.

If you have entered into a verbal agreement and is hasn't been put in writing in any form, it's still enforceable. A verbal agreement is just as legally enforceable as a written one. However, you will strike problems in proving the terms of the agreement. So, it will come down to a matter of evidence.

Such an agreement would be against the FA's rules even if you could prove that there was a valid verbal agreement. In such a case, I'm sure Gillingham could put in a complaint that Eaves was tapped up and demand compensation and/or sanctions be put onto the buying club. Clubs who have been found guilty have had transfer embargos placed on them in the past.

Can't agree with Byrne's 6 above Hanlan's 5. I have no idea what he brings to the midfield, indeed the only positive I can think of is that he jumps high and wins a lot of headers for such a small guy. We have been crying out for a midfield general all season, someone who dominates that part of the pitch and takes the game by the scruff of the neck. The fact that Byrne has been Lovell's first choice in midfield shows the biggest weakness in this squad, although there are many more!

Can't agree with Byrne's 6 above Hanlan's 5. I have no idea what he brings to the midfield, indeed the only positive I can think of is that he jumps high and wins a lot of headers for such a small guy. We have been crying out for a midfield general all season, someone who dominates that part of the pitch and takes the game by the scruff of the neck. The fact that Byrne has been Lovell's first choice in midfield shows the biggest weakness in this squad, although there are many more!
He showed a bit of energy as did Hanlan, an attribute sadly missing in the rest of the team.

No tactics

No game plan

No motivation

No goals

No points

Horrible!
I have to agree all but one of your judgements, there was almost certainly a game plan. The players seemed to make no attempt to use it let alone stick to it. The players as a whole must responsibility for those kind of performances, this was not the first time his has happened. The coaching staff can only do so much once the game starts and the players confidence drops there is little that can be done.

I thought a verbal agreement "wasn't worth the paper it's written on".

Eaves has scored 20 goals in 45 games or thereabouts, which by any standard is not a bad return. At home especially, he's playing in a shit team with very few chances made for him and yet he's pilloried for not making himself 'available'. Games are won and lost primarily in midfield and we have a midfield that barely functions.
While I largely agree with you regarding the mid field, Eaves was quite content to stand around and be marked all afternoon. He didn't bother to come off his marker. He couldn't be arsed to try to make some space to receive a pass. Generally Eaves made sure there was a shrews player between him and any Gills player in possession. He was hiding.

Such an agreement would be against the FA's rules even if you could prove that there was a valid verbal agreement. In such a case, I'm sure Gillingham could put in a complaint that Eaves was tapped up and demand compensation and/or sanctions be put onto the buying club. Clubs who have been found guilty have had transfer embargos placed on them in the past.
If it was done by the agent who only then tells Eaves he has matters in hand and not to worry .Then the club would have very little way of proving that anything had happened.

While I largely agree with you regarding the mid field, Eaves was quite content to stand around and be marked all afternoon. He didn't bother to come off his marker. He couldn't be arsed to try to make some space to receive a pass. Generally Eaves made sure there was a shrews player between him and any Gills player in possession. He was hiding.
I’d say that was really just a one off. I think I’d be a bit pee’d off with my team mates seeing as I had scored twenty goals pretty much against the odds this season bearing in mind nearly half his goals were scored at home this campaign. I think it’s very unfair to level criticism at Eaves.

Last edited:
But forwards live and die by scoring regularly. A dry spell and it's what have you done for us lately -especially so with the non sweat-breaking poachers to which you refer.

I’d say that was really just a one off. I think I’d be a bit pee’d off with my team mates seeing as I had scored twenty goals pretty much against the odds this season bearing in mind nearly half his goals were scored at home this campaign. I think it’s very unfair to level criticism at Eaves.
Sorry WK, just saying it as I saw it on the day. I'm not saying he hasn't played well all season. You don't get 20 goals sitting on your backside.
Saturday the guy looked like he didn't want to be there.
Pretty disrespectful to his team mates if you think about it.

There was one 20 yard pass to him, I think from Barry Fuller, up the wing. Eaves was just inside their half and the ball travelled over his head without him making any move to get the ball. It was almost as though he was totally unable to read the flight, so failed to make the opportunity of a breakaway, putting us back under pressure.
Most of our clearances were 'blind' headers, straight to the opposition, where there was plenty of time to chest the ball down and play it on the deck.

One more thing I did forget about from Saturday and it's just come back to me... Why have we reverted time and time again to the old PT trick of stick 11 men in our own box every time the opposition has a corner or attacking free kick? I lost count of the number of times we picked up the ball on these occasions on Saturday and either pumped it up field to no one or our player with the ball had to try to fashion a pass to someone in our crowded half - we even continued to do this at 1-0 down. I can't for the life of me understand the thinking - I am pretty certain SL didn't employ this tactic when he first started as I recall remarking that it was a fresh change to see us leave people up after a long period of PT and to a lesser extend Edinburgh employing this tactic.