Today’s Performance

Therealwaldo

Vital Squad Member
Things lacking today;

(1) Urgency
(2) Effort
(3) Determination
(4) Skill

It’s really difficult to see any positives in a truly awful showing.

Holy 6 difficult to apportion much blame.

Fuller 5.5 no shortage of effort but short on skill.

Ehmer 5 not at his best. At one point in the first half badly at fault when playing their forward on side which we were lucky to get away with.

Ogilvie 5.5 not many actual mistakes but guilty of getting in decent positions and then just aimlessly giving the ball away.

O’Neill 5 poor going forward. One decent effort from a free kick. Otherwise not effective going forward.

Byrne 6 probably the best of our players but couldn’t compensate for the rest.

Bingham 6 did well when on but yet again didn’t last 90 minutes. Unlucky with the shot that hit the post.

Parrett 4.5 a few nice touches but just didn’t contribute enough.

Burke 3.5 can’t think of one positive contribution.

Eaves 3.5 poor touch throughout. Just didn’t give us an outlet.

Hanlan 5 probably put in as much effort as anyone. Not saying a lot.

Subs

List 5 produced a little bit of energy but no end product.

Rees 3.5 didn’t contribute a lot.

Campbell 5 showed some pace which could be useful.

Overall very poor. My biggest complaint is our lack of pressing. We seem quite happy for the opposition to get to the edge of our box whereas we have to fight incredibly hard to get the ball forward. It’s giving us a mountain to climb in every single home game. Lovell needs to sort it out or we need to get someone who can. UTG

Last edited:
Bingham 6 did well when on but yet again didn’t last 90 minutes. Unlucky with the shit that hit the post.

If he'd pulled that off it might have gone some way to making up for the performance.

Otherwise, I pretty much agree with you, possibly marking Hanlan up a bit. He was the only one who looked even slightly dangerous.

Lowest points I've ever seen you give iirc. Glad I've turned into a plastic and gave it a swerve today.

A good mate of mine did the round trip from Southampton with his son to see that shite. Poor sod would have seen Dons away but his missus broke her arm that week so she needed him at home. Shrews match was his consolation prize!

Pretty accurate however I might have given Hanlon a mark or so more I thought he was our best player - makes you think the difference López contributes ? Even when not quite at his best would he have made a difference today ? I don’t know ?

5) Organisation
6) Game plan
7) Clue

After all the hype and positivity talk 're STs, "pack Priestfield" and get the place rocking again the players/management turn in an embarrassing performance like that. Only Oglivie and Hanlon come out of it with any credit IMO.

As I said the other day, if you're going to serve up shit performances people will not go, doesn't matter how much you drop season tickets prices, all you do is make the shit cheaper, you don't stop it being shit.

Today SL changed formation second half from the diamond (that leaves you exposed in midfield and wide areas) that hadn't worked at home for nearly two seasons and didn't work again in the first half today to a wingback system that hasn't worked when we've played it before and normally makes us worse. On top of that he decided to play List at LWB and move Ogilvie closer to to where he's been most exposed as a LB.

But that was not an SL team out there apparently, unfortunately yes it was SL and it served up the same shite most of them have over the last two years, but that's not your fault, while you just stood there with your arms folded.

Embarrassing, embarrassing, embarrassing.

On top of that he decided to play List at LWB and move Ogilvie closer to to where he's been most exposed as a LB.g.

There is a certain amount of sense in the position List was played at insofar he has often been most threatening when on the left wing and has been able to cut in onto his right foot. The problem was a lack of possession so we were more often playing 5-2-3 ather than 3-4-3 with List able to get forward and use his pace.

Ditto with Ogilvie's position. As the only left footer in defence, it made sense for him to be the most left of the back three.

Fck me today was painful.

Hanlon is quick and hungry for the ball, why aren’t we playing him into a position where it’s a straight foot race between him and the oppo back line? Every ball today was to feet and our boys usually had their backs to goal.

Burke and Parrett both dwell on the ball and their decision making is sketchy at best.

I hope we don’t try and sign Burke on a permanent deal.

Heard SL’s interview on RK on the way home. Was it Eaves he was as referring to when he said “some players have had great seasons up until this game, the season is 46 matches not 40/41” ?

There is a certain amount of sense in the position List was played at insofar he has often been most threatening when on the left wing and has been able to cut in onto his right foot. The problem was a lack of possession so we were more often playing 5-2-3 ather than 3-4-3 with List able to get forward and use his pace.

Ditto with Ogilvie's position. As the only left footer in defence, it made sense for him to be the most left of the back three.

The problem was that List has no defensive awareness at all, and at LWB you need it, as the first goal proved. On the attacking front, you want List receiving the ball and running at the opposition in their half, not receiving the ball and having to run 30 yards with it before he even gets out of our own half.

Heard SL’s interview on RK on the way home. Was it Eaves he was as referring to when he said “some players have had great seasons up until this game, the season is 46 matches not 40/41” ?

Yes i heard that too and I'm pretty sure he was referring to Eaves. I saw him have a big go at Eaves in the second half after Campbell had come on, it looked like he wasn't happy with the runs Eaves was making.

Can't believe you've given Byrne and Bingham a 6 and Hanlan only 5. I'd have given them two 5's and Hanlan 7. Everything we created came from Hanlan, every time ha got the ball it looked like something was goin

Everything we created in the 2nd half came from him, every time he got the ball it looked like something was going to happen, or their defenders hacked him down in desperation.

The problem was that List has no defensive awareness at all, and at LWB you need it, as the first goal proved. On the attacking front, you want List receiving the ball and running at the opposition in their half, not receiving the ball and having to run 30 yards with it before he even gets out of our own half.

I don't disagree with you and in some way you echoed my point. He came on with the intention he'd be playing more as a left midfielder / winger but lack of possession meant he was playing more of a full / wingback. We should have channelled more balls down the left to see if List could force their defenders back but I can't recall many passes played down that side.

Of course, there was that one run when their player stopped him by dumping him onto the advertising boards; if he had been able to avoid it and been able to run on and maybe created a chance then maybe that would have put him on the front foot for the rest of the match?

Last edited:
Although Hanlons first touch is often dodgy he is still maturing. Fair marks for a lacklustre team performance.

Woeful all round. Bingham's near miss might have chaged things but I doubt it. Ogilvie & Hanlan way out in front for effort and application. I can't remember the last decent game from Eaves in fact I can't remember the last timne he won a challenge, seriously. I don't know what's up with him but he's not worth his place.

I understand criticism of the manager but there are several players I don't want to see again in August. They need a long hard look because whatever they are being told to do they don't look interested enough and any manager watching would be putting a line through their names.

Yes i heard that too and I'm pretty sure he was referring to Eaves. I saw him have a big go at Eaves in the second half after Campbell had come on, it looked like he wasn't happy with the runs Eaves was making.
I wasn't happy with Eaves attitude all afternoon. He sauntered around like he didn't give stuff and perhaps he doesn't anymore.

I wasn't happy with Eaves attitude all afternoon. He sauntered around like he didn't give stuff and perhaps he doesn't anymore.
I think it's a problem you can get at this stage of the season, when certain players know they probably won't be here next season. Eaves knows he's done enough to move to a club that can pay better wages, so perhaps his motivation and application has gone down a level.

I am the only one to thinks the unthinkable of dropping Eaves who really was poor again today as he was at posh.Is now almost desirable.I would still like to see Hanlon given the responsibility of leading the attack in the next few games.

Fed up with saying that we should play what little quality we have more often than not; so i won`t say, that, in the absence of Lopes, DJ should have started. Yet another naff home display with no midfield to forward link up. We`ll still stay up though, thanks to a point or three from our remaining away games.

Although Hanlons first touch is often dodgy he is still maturing. Fair marks for a lacklustre team performance.

He reminds me of a more slight Ade Akinbiyi (rolling back the years)- raw, not the best first touch but bags of pace and application.

I think he will go on to be an important player for us.

I think Eaves has mentally checked out.