Today's Performance | Vital Football

Today's Performance

Therealwaldo

Vital Squad Member
My main prediction is that this season will be more exciting than the last one. Secondly Charlton must have some seriously good players if they can affordable to let Hanlan and Charles-Cook go. The only downside is that the defence still looked a bit disorganised at times despite the heroics of Ehmer and Zakuani throwing their bodies on the line.
Marks:

Holy 7 poor for their goal but redeemed himself with some excellent saves and catches in the second half.

O'Neill 7 solid defensive performance capped off with an excellent goal from a free kick.

Zakuani 7 usual whole hearted defensive display with some excellent blocks.

Ehmer 6 looked a little bit shaky at times. Little bit below his best but not a poor performance.

Garmston 7 gradually showing more of his old pace. Neat and effective on the ball and defensively.

Parrett 7 showed a lot of promise before being forced off with a hamstring strain. Couple of great driving runs.

Bingham 8 showed what we missed for a lot of last season. Very cool in possession and great at disrupting Burton's play.

Byrne 7 usual all energy performance but not one of the stand out performers in this match.

Charles-Cook 7 great pace and touch. Gave us so much more from midfield than the likes of Martin and Wagstaff.

Parker 8 I thought Parker was excellent both up front and then in midfield when Eaves came on.

Hanlan 8 made 2 goals could have had a hat trick himself. Hit the woodwork twice. Very, very quick. Have we unearthed a gem ?

Subs

Eaves 8 in the right place twice to finish chances created by Hanlan. Usual handful for Burton.

With decent back up in the likes of O'Neill and List and possibly Rees, things are looking promising.....so far ! UTG

Last edited:
Surprised you only gave Zakuani a 6, he was much better than Ehmer for me who almost cost us a goal with casual play on 2 occasions. Agree with the rest of your scores.

Lark, quite correct. My mistake. I've changed to a 7. Burton had too many free headers to make me think either centre backs deserved more, but you're right, Zakuani was the better of the two.

I think you have been a bit too generous with Bingham. His distribution was poor, too many over hit passes. I would knock him down one.

I m not sure I saw Garmston was as good as a seven either. I trhink he is struggling pace wise but we all see it a bit different.

Other than that good report.

I enjoyed watching the energy of Hanlan and Reece-Cook. Hanlan was so unlucky but goals will come.

Hanlan and Eaves upfront could be the partnership we have been looking for.

I would have liked to see someone like Nasseri come on for the last 15. I was surprised we gave him a contract but if you aren't going to bring him on when 3-1 up at home when will you.

Above all I enjoyed today, I enjoyed watching the energy of Gills young players and that will do for me.

I'll sum up the game and last week at Accrington. At long last we have pace in the team. Long may it last because pace and the ability to use it will always cause problems. Enjoyed both games thus far, let's hope it continues.
MOTM Hanlan by a mile, so unlucky to hit the woodwork twice and caused their midfield and defence problems throughout the game.

A fair assessment, particularly the point about Charles-Cook compared to "the likes of Martin and Wagstaff", who I was never really convinced about. It was hard to put a finger on, but I often had the feeling with them that it was more about looking the part, appearing as if you're playing well without really doing so. (If that makes any sense.)

What's refreshing about this new lot is not just that they have the skills, but that they also really do put in an effective shift (or at least they have done so far in the first two games.)

This is Lovell's team now, he brought them in. I thought it was interesting that he was talking in the post-match interview about not only the character but also the intelligence of the players. It looks like he's moulding a team with the characters in it to play the way he wants it to. Given our budget, it's the only way to go.

It'll probably be a hard slog, but it's been very encouraging so far. Long may it continue.

Last edited:
The attacking players were a real Hanlan full.Both sides were testing the defensive players .I felt that Burton looked dangerous before Eaves came on and even throughout the game.In Hanlan we have a player who is the perfect foil for Eaves. Hanlan used his head and his pace to unlock Burton.
A mention for the crowd which was low but very noisy well done to all. I am sure the players appreciated your efforts.We did try to join you in the left side.A few more vocal supporters would definitely help against Sunderland and Coventry.

I shall reserve judgement until Wayne confirms what the man on the radio said. With Wilkinson and Nash not involved, I am curious as to whom is worth no more than a five.

I didn't think much of Parker today, worked hard but hasn't hit the next level for me. I thought we tired in the second half and felt Lovell could have made some astute substitutions. but overall a very good display against a good side.

Also refreshing to see a midfield and forward player willing to chest the ball down, control it, and then run with it. Too much head tennis last season, and therefore lost a lot of possession.
Great football and great pace and energy.:wahey:

Yeah, there were a few occasions when they went into challenges and I wondered how on earth they came away with the ball. It was sticking to them like fly paper.

For me, it's about the new players and they haven't let us down, quite the opposite. We have pace and penetration from midfield compared with last season but we have to sustain it and therein lies the question. Is there enough strength in depth to cover for injury, suspension and fatigue? Otherwise, so far so good.

What a great day! Loved seeing us play in a black and white striped shirt with no horrible sponsor on it.

Very pleasing performance. Midfield and attack looks so much more exciting than last season. Hanlan was superb, a real threat all game.

I don't do the player ratings myself but here are my son's:

Holy - (7) Good performance but could have done better with their goal and his distribution.
O'Neill - (8) Good passing, crossing and great free kick goal.
Garmston - (7) Did his job well and a few good set pieces
Ehmer - (7) Not at his best but a few solid clearances
Zak - (8) Really good headed clearances and siding challenges
Bingham - (8) Really good distribution and tackling/breaking up Burton's play
Parrett - (6) Only a 6 because he wasn't on for long.
Byrne - (7) Few good League 1 fashion style clearances and a lovely back-heel to set up O'Neill with a good chance
Charles-Cook - (8) Some really exciting runs and forward passes to Hanlan and Eaves
Parker (8) His usual self - more of the same please.
Hanlan (9) Only thing lacking from his game today was a goal
Eaves (9) Always seems to pop up in the right place. Let's hope he can score another 18 this season.

Excellent start to season; really good team performance - the new boys looking pacey and sharp, backed up by the experience of Byrne, Parker and Eaves etc.

I think this shows how good it is for youngsters to get playing experience at National League level - which is tough with some old(er) pros to contend with; Hanlon did well are Boreham Wood, and Charles-Cook at Woking [can't wait to see Rees who was a star at Bromley with goals from midfield] Then the step to League 1 is much easier - less cynical defenders and better referees, and better players around them

Lets get Nash and Oldaker out to clubs at that level to learn otherwise they will find the step up too big - but last season NL clubs didnt seem to want to take them

I hope we see Hanlon and Eaves play together more, and that Lovell will always use C-Cook and List (maybe in rotation) on the right; and that Bingham can stay fit - then we could be pushing at play-offs

I'm afraid I have to disagree about Bingham. Good at times,but 3 very bad passes,one when he was under no pressure and Burton could and probably should have scored from the breakaway with the defence out of position

I take your point - he was erratic at times today, but his corners are good and he is creative ; we may have to be patient while he regains fitness and confidence; suspect Lovell will 'rotate' him as if we do want to play a front 3 he may be a luxury and we'll need Parrett and Reilly alongside Byrne at least away; but I do like watching Bingham

Bingham was fine until we started singing the song about him never giving the ball away. He seemed to want to prove us wrong for the next 20 mins!

Thanks for the player ratings Waldo and Buddha’s son. Sounds like you’ve taught the young-un well Bud. He’s more eloquent than you . :)

I didn't think much of Parker today, worked hard but hasn't hit the next level for me. I thought we tired in the second half and felt Lovell could have made some astute substitutions. but overall a very good display against a good side.

I disagree...Parker was excellent when pulled back to accomodate Eaves coming on. I disagree...Burton upped the tempo and moved the ball well. We got through the pressure to finish strongly. And I disagree. When Lovell brings Eaves on and goes 2 up front and we go on to win 3-1 I would say that's pretty astute!