Today's League One Match Thread (13/02/2021) | Page 9 | Vital Football

Today's League One Match Thread (13/02/2021)

This has to be a wind-up, right?
More ridiculous, but not league 1, my mates lad reckons Klopp is on his way.
Mind, he's the same kid that heard from "a reliable source close to him" that Dyche was getting sacked 2 years ago. The Barnsley gambling community still have a fatwa on him to this day.
You would think McCann has a bit of time yet. Football is a mad world though.

This has to be a wind-up, right?

ScotImp posted their form over the last 14 games. It’s appalling.

I don’t think binning McCann could be considered knee jerk.

The difficulty for a new manager is that you have barely any time to train players given the Tuesday/Saturday schedule. It’s so hard for someone new to come in and drastically change things.

ScotImp posted their form over the last 14 games. It’s appalling.

I don’t think binning McCann could be considered knee jerk.

The difficulty for a new manager is that you have barely any time to train players given the Tuesday/Saturday schedule. It’s so hard for someone new to come in and drastically change things.

Definitely not knee jerk. They haven't been top of the league for over a week, haven't been two matches from Wembley for even longer.
Okay, they were really good in January but how long can you give someone. Let's put it this way it would take a whole 1-0 win to put them first in the table and the chances of them being in the play offs at least is no more than very likely.

They should have got rid of him in the summer and then they might have been 20points clear by now. After all the rest of the sides in this league are all pub teams.

Seriously, a season is a long time. They got to the top of the league by having a team capable of winning matches at this level and are still in a good positions. Two wins and all is well for them.

They looked a decent team going through a spell where they couldn't score. In another few weeks that could all change again.

The reality is they are a L1 team and they are having a good season in L1 and could still win it. Doesn't seem a logical reason to sack a manager.

(Although he will probably have been sacked by the time you read this?)

The problem McCann has, is that astounding collapse last season after being in the play-off places at the midway stage. They took just 6 points from their final 20 games, conceding 53 goals and suffering their record defeat along the way. To put that into some kind of context, even Lincoln managed 14 points from their last 20 games in that nightmare 1986-87 season. McCann therefore has very recent history in dramatic collapses, and that can only work against him should Mr Allam feel a decision is needed.

Did anyone see the highlights from the Doncaster game?

Four almost identical goals for Sunderland, McGeady cross and Wyke header.

As that great football pundit O.Wilde once said "To lose one goal like that may be regarded as a misfortune, to lose two looks like carelessness. To lose four...."

I see Hull have Donny away next Saturday so one of them will drop points if we could win tonight and then 2 potentially winnable games at Wigan away and Swindon at home we have the opportunity to really open up a gap at the top but is never that simple unfortunately.

Did anyone see the highlights from the Doncaster game?

Four almost identical goals for Sunderland, McGeady cross and Wyke header.

As that great football pundit O.Wilde once said "To lose one goal like that may be regarded as a misfortune, to lose two looks like carelessness. To lose four...."
Yes, it was astonishing. I hope MA saw it too.

The problem McCann has, is that astounding collapse last season after being in the play-off places at the midway stage. They took just 6 points from their final 20 games, conceding 53 goals and suffering their record defeat along the way. To put that into some kind of context, even Lincoln managed 14 points from their last 20 games in that nightmare 1986-87 season. McCann therefore has very recent history in dramatic collapses, and that can only work against him should Mr Allam feel a decision is needed.
Well if that happens this season then it would be curtains for McCann but it hasn't.
Just as likely they could recapture their form which put them top of the league.

I do think the state of some pitches is a bit of a leveller at the moment and they are suffering more than some.

Last edited:
I think if McCann gets the sack it will sum up everything that is wrong with modern football.

I saw a post on their forum wondering if they were safe from relegation yet!

My Hull supporting friends are desperate for McCann to go now. They wanted him out last summer but Allam is sticking to him. The club is in a complete mess from top to bottom at the moment. It shows the effect of poor ownership on a club. Lincoln are lucky to have good people running the club at the moment. As we know, through the examples of many EFL clubs, such as Blackburn, Blackpool, Coventry, Sunderland etc, this can change quickly. We must therefore enjoy this moment, make hay whilst the sun shines, and protect the set-up we now have so the gains of the last five seasons are not frittered away. I am very confident that the club will do this, and hopefully the journey will continue into the Championship, where each club is then only one promotion away from the promised land. A blockbusting Hollywood film would then be produced. Back to reality, three points today would be incredible as a gap would then emerge. UTI

Well if that happens this season then it would be curtains for McCann but it hasn't.
Just as likely they could recapture their form which put them top of the league.

I do think the state of some pitches is a bit of a leveller at the moment and they are suffering more than some.

There’s more to it than just their position in the table though.

Do you leave McCann to continue to struggle to arrest their slide, or do you see them in a great position to go up and bring in someone that has actually won something as a manager?

If they leave it and they suffer more missing out on promotion Hull have essentially wasted a season with players good enough to get promoted.

There’s more to it than just their position in the table though.

Do you leave McCann to continue to struggle to arrest their slide, or do you see them in a great position to go up and bring in someone that has actually won something as a manager?

If they leave it and they suffer more missing out on promotion Hull have essentially wasted a season with players good enough to get promoted.

Results in 2021

Charlton 2-0 win
Sunderland 1-1draw
Fleetwood 3-2 win
Blackpool 1-1draw
Accrington 3-0win
Portsmouth 4-0win
Accrington 0-2 loss
Swindon 1-0win
Lincoln 1-1draw
Burton 0-1loss
Lincoln 0-0draw
MK Dons0-1 loss

If we lose today MA could be 2 games from the sack based on your argument.

Managers should be judged on seasons not the last couple of matches.

Add 2 wins to the bottom of the list and that's an excellent performance.

Even if that doesn't happen, as long as they scrape into the top 6 come the end of the season, they are 2 games away from promotion...

... and they are better equipped to play well at Wembley than on a mud patch.

Results in 2021

Charlton 2-0 win
Sunderland 1-1draw
Fleetwood 3-2 win
Blackpool 1-1draw
Accrington 3-0win
Portsmouth 4-0win
Accrington 0-2 loss
Swindon 1-0win
Lincoln 1-1draw
Burton 0-1loss
Lincoln 0-0draw
MK Dons0-1 loss

If we lose today MA could be 2 games from the sack based on your argument.

Managers should be judged on season's not the last couple of matches.

Add 2 wins to the bottom of the list and that's an excellent performance.

Even if that doesn't happen, as long as they scrape into the top 6 come the end of the season, they are 2 games away from promotion...

... and they are better equipped to play well at Wembley than on a mud patch.

I don’t think MA is 2 games from the sack. Hull have different expectations and different experiences to Lincoln in recent times. Lincoln getting in the playoffs would be an amazing achievement but do Hull expect autos?

I respect your view but we see the McCann situation differently and that is fine.

I don’t think MA is 2 games from the sack. Hull have different expectations and different experiences to Lincoln in recent times. Lincoln getting in the playoffs would be an amazing achievement but do Hull expect autos?

I respect your view but we see the McCann situation differently and that is fine.
A lot of Hull problems last year was that they sold good players and had no replacements.