Today's League One Match Thread (09/01/2021) | Page 4 | Vital Football

Today's League One Match Thread (09/01/2021)

Lambert must be on the edge, but that puzzling five-year deal will cost them plenty to get rid of him. TWTD must be in meltdown again, surely supporter power will tell pretty soon.
Agree , a number of 'blues' live around me and cannot believe Lambert was given a five year contract. Just a matter of time, and it could be very short, before he goes surely. DC/NC in prime position to move back to Suffolk / Essex to take over. Not sure their supporters would like their style of play though, made their feelings clear that they don't ! My next door neighbour has a flag pole with an ITFC flag flying , but when the Imps have beaten them several times recently it flew at half mast for a few days !!
UTI.

Hull look quite a big side so always a danger from set pieces. Sunderland didn’t really do enough to warrant the three points and neither really showed much quality.

Today was an interesting experiment as having that 24 hour pass allowed me to watch the two later games after ours. It's the first time this season I've watched matches in our league in their entirety without us playing. Four of those teams, Peterborough, Ipswich, Sunderland and Hull have expectations of promotion. The reality of watching them today shows though that we are rightly in that mix. None of those four are any better than us if we play to our potential. Promotion is a genuine possibility this season based upon todays matches, and we were below our standards this afternoon

Agree , a number of 'blues' live around me and cannot believe Lambert was given a five year contract. Just a matter of time, and it could be very short, before he goes surely. DC/NC in prime position to move back to Suffolk / Essex to take over. Not sure their supporters would like their style of play though, made their feelings clear that they don't ! My next door neighbour has a flag pole with an ITFC flag flying , but when the Imps have beaten them several times recently it flew at half mast for a few days !!
UTI.

Budgets for any football club may be an issue as well.

I also thought it quite interesting how many long balls were played in that last game. So often a big hoof from the keeper ended up in the other keepers hands. Very little quality play on the floor from either team

A draw was a good result for us as Hull look like a better side than Sunderland.

Sunderland and Ipswich seem pretty similar. They have some decent players so can pass it and even create a few chances, but neither seem to attack with much purpose.

Unlike the other posters who've commented though, I thought Hull look like a good team who move the ball around well. They were wasteful in good positions though (mainly Wilks). I've heard people say Honeyman looks like a young Stephen Hunt. I'd go further back, he's more like Mickey "has anyone got a tenner?" Thomas.

Shrewsbury away, Gillingham home, Northampton home are the next 3 league games. Hopefully Shrewsbury won't get the same chance to sit back next week. A great chance to get some good points on the board. It would certainly help with some tough games to end the month, and enter February with. You can certainly see why Lincoln are where we are after watching some other games. What a great and unexpected position to find ourselves in. Keep going City. UTI

While we are able to maintain a position at the top which equates to achieving 2 points per game, for any rival to get less than 3 points is to our advantage. Where two perceived rivals draw, such as Hull v Sunderland, it is doubly to our advantage. We need to win our next game mind; and keep the pressure on.

Retain the 2 ppg average and we will be there, or thereabouts.

Last edited:
While we are able to maintain a position at the top which equates to achieving 2 points per game, for any rival to get less than 3 points is to our advantage. Where two perceived rivals draw, it is doubly to our advantage. We need to win our next game mind; and keep the pressure on.

Retain the 2 ppg average and we will be there, or thereabouts.
I’ll take 92 points now

Still sounds likely the Shrews game won’t be going ahead, unless things change or have changed much.