Today's attendance?? | Vital Football

Today's attendance??

It was 4407 with 478 from peterborough.

Two things jump out. Poor following from a club at the top of the league and home support drops below 4000.

Yes, but after the Wimbledon performance and spectators anticipating a sound and embarrassing thrashing of a team not willing to perform, I am not surprised.
Maybe the home crowd will pick up a little if we beat Shrewsbury, which we ought to. Although we could get stung at Portsmouth who also appear to be a bit ruthless this term. But then it is home to Sarfen' and Scott Wagstaffe who scored for them yesterday.

I agree with you re their away following Mark. I thought they'd bring around 800-1000 as we wold have done if we were top. It's only no more than 2 hours away although it can be done in less.

Me too Mark, disappointing turnout from Posh. They`ve a high quality squad, are at the top of the league and are genuine promotion contenders. We`d have taken a lot more than 400 to their place had the situation been reversed.

Disappointing from Posh but then again it’s Gillingham away in a temporary stand in the rain. Even the offer of a free poncho couldn’t attract many more.

It’s a sad sight that we’re now getting less than 4,000 home fans.

The Gillingham factor is a good point. Its a bit like the AFCW factor. Its a local game but I have no interest in standing in that shite low terrace again. I guess Posh (and others) feel the same about our Scaffold.

Hope we get a reasonable attendance v Southend on Saturday. With no Premiership or Championship games, no other EFL games in London & South-East, not even a National League game (Ebbsfleet, Dover & Maidstone all away [Bromley doesn`t count ;) ] ) - surely we`ll get a half decent crowd ?

Incidentally, Gills two largest away followings so far this season (at Accrington & at Portsmouth) - two wins, both 2 - 0 ! # Fervent fans make a difference.....

I think it will depend on how many Sarfend bring. They are usually well supported at our place. Decent away following always improves the atmosphere. I am going to guess at still only about 4,500 gills fans though which is poor.

I know they all have more glamorous histories but Portsmouth (238K), Southampton (253K) and Brighton (229K) are all similar or smaller to the Medway Towns.

It really is hard to fathom why the people of Medway don't support this club. I accept a few thousand go to watch the london clubs but there still should be plenty left over to get us up to 7-10K easily.

I wonder what would happen if sky sports / BT sports etc. all stopped showing live games on the TV, do you think attendances at games would go up much.

I know they all have more glamorous histories but Portsmouth (238K), Southampton (253K) and Brighton (229K) are all similar or smaller to the Medway Towns.

It really is hard to fathom why the people of Medway don't support this club. I accept a few thousand go to watch the london clubs but there still should be plenty left over to get us up to 7-10K easily.

I wonder what would happen if sky sports / BT sports etc. all stopped showing live games on the TV, do you think attendances at games would go up much.

I agree with you once more , and you could easily included Plymouth in your examples.

The Medway towns have a comparable population , but Gillingham is only a part of Medway. Maybe it's a question of identity , and how Medway folk feel ? If New Brompton had been re-christened Medway FC , rather than Gillingham , would it have made a difference to our support ?

Is it a question of 'belonging-ness' ?