Today’s Announcement by Boris... | Page 4 | Vital Football

Today’s Announcement by Boris...

• Thread starter Deleted member 13556
  • Start date
Still no f#cking cricket though. That's all I care about.

Johnson is waiting for a rainy spell to open that up. Bstard. :-)

Totally agree! Love cricket - it is because the ball can carry the virus? My son plays Kent village cricket - he said basketball is allowed but not cricket; am I missing something?

Yes, it would be irresponsible, I agree.

I think maybe you missed my point. I wasn't suggesting people should blag it, just wondering how easy it would be to blag it. If we're going to rely on people acting responsibly it's a joke.

And if it's not going easy to blag it, say you need to provide ID, what happens to people like me who have no address? We will be banned from the pubs and restaurants simply because we don't have an address? That would be a bit unfair. In those circumstances I'd consider providing false ID.
At present it might be worth having a contact address. Someone you trust it need not be where you are .But perhaps a life long friend or relative.

At present it might be worth having a contact address. Someone you trust it need not be where you are .But perhaps a life long friend or relative.
I live in a tourist area.
Do they give their holiday address or home address.
What if their holiday address is a motor home?
What if it’s a tent in a field.?

I live in a tourist area.
Do they give their holiday address or home address.
What if their holiday address is a motor home?
What if it’s a tent in a field.?

This was kind of my point too.

But Chris is right, I suppose. It's the same as I have to do for many things; a contact address.

So two people stabbed on Leysdown beach late last night and three stabbed on Bournemouth beach. Six stabbed in Glasgow, including a police officer, this afternoon. Turned out nice again...

Last edited:
Yes, it would be irresponsible, I agree.

I think maybe you missed my point. I wasn't suggesting people should blag it, just wondering how easy it would be to blag it. If we're going to rely on people acting responsibly it's a joke.

And if it's not going easy to blag it, say you need to provide ID, what happens to people like me who have no address? We will be banned from the pubs and restaurants simply because we don't have an address? That would be a bit unfair. In those circumstances I'd consider providing false ID.

Gotcha.

Unfortunately I think we are relying on people being honest and responsible. It's either that or nothing opens up.

Totally agree! Love cricket - it is because the ball can carry the virus? My son plays Kent village cricket - he said basketball is allowed but not cricket; am I missing something?

The problem is that bowlers especially have developed a bad habit of licking their fingers and then smearing it on the ball in order to manipulate the ball's flight. I'm sure people can work out why that'll be a health risk.

The problem is that bowlers especially have developed a bad habit of licking their fingers and then smearing it on the ball in order to manipulate the ball's flight. I'm sure people can work out why that'll be a health risk.
That has been banned though. Apparently Jimmy Anderson is looking into other legal means of prepping the ball. Sweat is still allowed apparently as it can't be transmitted that way.

I was going to say they could ban the habit - but then they banned spitting in football - that worked well.

There was a vast difference between the situation in Brixton and Bournemouth , in London the Met with a large body of personnel were trying to deal with several hundred people, a manageable task whereas Bournemouth there were several thousand people with a very small force (compared to the Met) to deal with the situation on the beach a more or less impossible job.

I think Brixton was bigger than that but I agree operationally. I do think we expect police to behave differently in different settings however. Gathering at Leysdown and a couple of stabbings, three stabbings at Bournemouth some clear messaging needed not the waffle we have had so far.

Can't we use the smart motorway signalling to tell travellers that beauty spots and beaches are full.

I think Brixton was bigger than that but I agree operationally. I do think we expect police to behave differently in different settings however. Gathering at Leysdown and a couple of stabbings, three stabbings at Bournemouth some clear messaging needed not the waffle we have had so far.

Can't we use the smart motorway signalling to tell travellers that beauty spots and beaches are full.
Southend Councillor has already threatened to close the seafront again (it was very successful during "lockdown").
I hope they do, it's funny how people quote the new "rules" to justify going to the beach but seem to forget about distancing "rules" or simple things like taking your litter home.
Southend beach looked more like a landfill site when I got home from work this morning 😡

I used to live at Warden Point with my (then) inlaws. My MinLaw was insistent that I called it Warden Point and not Leysdown. Basically, it WAS Leysdown.

I used to live at Warden Point with my (then) inlaws. My MinLaw was insistent that I called it Warden Point and not Leysdown. Basically, it WAS Leysdown.

So many attempts at spreading a location perceived as more classy all over the country. It's a bit weird not wanting to even admit where your home actually is.

My mother in law did a variation on this theme. She was born and lived her whole life in Beeston, Leeds. A decent enough working class suburb in its heyday; it declined steadily over the years. She took to reviving older local descriptions to indicate superiority/inferiority. Beeston Common was a favourite also Beeston Village and firm distinction between above and below the park. I saw it as Hycainth Bouquet type snobbery at first but over the years came to admire her fierce pride in an area others were deserting