Toby | Page 4 | Vital Football

Toby

• Thread starter Removed at own request
  • Start date
80deg16minW - 12/2/2018 14:31

10Hoddle - 11/2/2018 22:42

We look porous without him.

Do we ever. We are just hemorrhaging goals without Toby. Just look at the stats........

Since January 1st we have played 9 games without him and let in 5 goals with 5 clean sheets. Two of them against United and Arsenal. That's just unacceptable.

Damn facts.

Toby will take time to get back to his best - him not traveling is a smart decision.

He may think he's fit - but he has to win his place back now, not demand it.

Besides, we have to get used to life without him.

Nick Real Deal - 12/2/2018 17:42

Didn't Poch do a Woy and throw his rattle out the pram when questioned about Toby ?

Wasn't that bad.

[youtube=sC5UcAws-vs]

He kept his calm but it's the most tetchy I have seen him. He just needed to answer the question but instead went on the attack.

Basically.....we won, why do I need to explain my team selection ?

Do we ever. We are just hemorrhaging goals without Toby. Just look at the stats........

Since January 1st we have played 9 games without him and let in 5 goals with 5 clean sheets. Two of them against United and Arsenal. That's just unacceptable.

LOL, said nothing about conceding goals, but our lines are being broken. Officials saved us against Arse. We just look out of sorts without him.

10Hoddle - 12/2/2018 21:48

LOL, said nothing about conceding goals, but our lines are being broken. Officials saved us against Arse. We just look out of sorts without him.

I think Vic is more important. He shuts things down before they get dangerous.

Best damn defense in the league with Toby and Vert. Get the young dude tied in with them...be very tough to score on us.

Just heard Michael Dawson on TalkSport. He reckons just give the lad what he wants. One of the best CB's around.

Well said Daws.

We simply cannot afford 180k a week, if the report is accurate that we have offered him 130k a week I believe that is a fair deal.
It represents a 80k a week pay rise, I really don't see how a player would turn that down if he really wanted to play for the club.

How do we play the transfer strategy though with Toby? Get him sold before the World Cup and take the money on offer? Take the risk that he stays fit during the World Cup, performs well and then get top dollar for him? Keep him for as along as possible this window and let him see our new signings before deciding? Would he then want to stay?

I'd hate us to be in a position like we were with Walker when it was mid July before we let him go only to wait ages for Sanchez to join, missing all of pre-season.

We simply cannot afford 180k a week, if the report is accurate that we have offered him 130k a week I believe that is a fair deal.
It represents a 80k a week pay rise, I really don't see how a player would turn that down if he really wanted to play for the club.

Topspur - said this for a while but I think the damage has already been done. Toby has been on £50k per week for 3 years. In his mind, he should have been on closer to £100k for that time and has lost out on about £7m in what most would believe is a fair salary. Ultimately, he signed the contract and we've paid him what he signed up for. However, he can cite other examples like Sanchez who gets the new and improved offer within 12 months of joining. That removes all those ugly little clauses that Levy agrees to when signing the player in the first place and gives him hard cash and bonuses.

The problem here is that Toby is trying to now retrospectively earn back his lost earnings and being unreasonable with the £180k per week request. Personally, I'd give him a second signing on fee of £2m to £3m and ask him to agree to £120k per week. That would keep harmony in the squad. I'm not Levy though who would never compromise that way.

Topspur - said this for a while but I think the damage has already been done. Toby has been on £50k per week for 3 years. In his mind, he should have been on closer to £100k for that time and has lost out on about £7m in what most would believe is a fair salary. Ultimately, he signed the contract and we've paid him what he signed up for. However, he can cite other examples like Sanchez who gets the new and improved offer within 12 months of joining. That removes all those ugly little clauses that Levy agrees to when signing the player in the first place and gives him hard cash and bonuses.

The problem here is that Toby is trying to now retrospectively earn back his lost earnings and being unreasonable with the £180k per week request. Personally, I'd give him a second signing on fee of £2m to £3m and ask him to agree to £120k per week. That would keep harmony in the squad. I'm not Levy though who would never compromise that way.
I get your points, but I don't believe you can compare Toby situation with Sanchez. Firstly the club has been trying to reach an agreement with Toby for over a year if reports are correct. Secondly, due to CL football and improved marketing/tv revenue our turnover has doubled. Thirdly, does anyone know what Sanchez salary was or what his new contract is?
Fourthly, if we keep him for another year on 50k and sell him for £25m. The club would have saved 80k a week which amounts to £4.16m, he'll be 30 then. No club would in my opinion give him more than a 3yr contract, I also doubt they would give more than £150k a week. I really don't think he wants to be at the club, whatever Levy's faults are he has shown he is willing to renegotiate salaries on a annual basis.
Toby could maybe have been on around £100k a week for the past year, Levy may well have been willing to give him another bump this year once we qualified for CL

So many reports around, it's impossible to know what he is actually asking.

Before his injury he was the best CB in the Premier league. Easily in the top 3 best CB's in Europe. That quality is a basic weekly salary of a minimum of 150k.

Poch has certainly frozen him out. He has had the Walker treatment. If we do sell we can't string this one out.

So many reports around, it's impossible to know what he is actually asking.

Before his injury he was the best CB in the Premier league. Easily in the top 3 best CB's in Europe. That quality is a basic weekly salary of a minimum of 150k.

Poch has certainly frozen him out. He has had the Walker treatment. If we do sell we can't string this one out.

Like the walker situation it cost us

The goals against united and Juve were avoidable

Love Toby, but with Vert and an upcoming Sanchez I think we will be ok. Now just have a good cover and we will be fine. I would not blow the bank for Toby, no way.

We have too many other holes to fill and I honestly don't think the priority is CB, now that Sanchez and Vert are secured.

Of course I would love to keep Toby though, so offer him a good pay raise within our structure, if wants to go elsewhere after that...so be it.

I want to be clear though - Hope he stays!!

Do we actually know for certain that he has been frozen out ? I can't see it myself . You don't freeze players out for some games and play them in others . If you are saying to a player ," sorry mate , you want away ,so you are no good to me ." Then next week tell him to get out there and help us qualify for the Champions league, it just won't happen .

It was obvious to all and sundry that Walker had had an offer from the Mancs with silly money being bandied about . It was the worst kept secret in PL history . He was gone . There was no way Poch could have relied on him to break his leg in order to try to stop a goal .

The situations are so very different . I am certain that Toby,s position is fitness. He may want to get away , but perhaps his injury has put a lot of people on the back foot.
He isn't stupid , he can't go burning his bridges with an injury like he has had. It will be interesting how it all pans out

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR STATS, ANALYSIS & OPINION
Navigation Home Store More Articles About Contact
Toby Alderweireld: A Pleasure All Too Brief

MAY 25, 2018
This feels frustratingly familiar. A first-choice defender once again sold to a rival in Manchester, once again leaving Tottenham to scratch around for a cheaper, less polished replacement. For months, Toby Aldeweireld’s departure has loomed. The mood has largely been one of restrained anger at the club’s failure to meet the player’s demands. But, as the inevitable draws closer, you start to imagine a Tottenham without one half of their immovable Belgian rear-guard. That is when the sadness sets in.
toby2.jpg

It is not a dystopia that is difficult to imagine – Spurs have seen precious little of Alderweireld since his injury against Real Madrid at the start of November. Even with the 29-year-old fully recovered, Jan Vertonghen and Davinson Sánchez have been the two names we came to expect on the team sheet. Should recruitment go as planned, the setback will be minimalised. For over two years though, whether complemented by a third centre-back or not, Alderweireld and Vertonghen were the constant. The safety-net. It is hard to believe that this partnership that has endured through club and international football was only in full force at Mauricio Pochettino’s side for two years.
The basis for so much of Tottenham’s rapid upward trajectory from Europa League regulars to title challengers, it feels like the pair built a defensive dynasty through decades of supremacy. Beyond the frustration towards Daniel Levy for his reluctance to yield, that is the biggest shame of the whole affair. The Premier League is deprived of one more year of its finest defensive partnership. Tottenham are denied one more year of Alderweireld, the key to the revolution of their identity.
In the campaign before Alderweireld came to White Hart Lane, Spurs conceded 53 goals – the joint-fifth worst record in the league. In the Belgian’s first season, Spurs conceded 35 – the joint-best. In his second season, the record improved further, with Tottenham conceding just 26 times, fewer than any other team in the division. In those first two seasons, Spurs consecutively set the club record for fewest goals conceded in a Premier League season. The story of Alderweireld at Tottenham could be left to those numbers, but his impact merits much more.
His arrival signalled a change of culture at the club. In the previous season, the centre-back position had been dotted with various calamities. The roguish traits of Vlad Chiricheș were continually exposed; Younès Kaboul had lost his legs and his head; and Federico Fazio flitted between promising assurance and total disaster. Vertonghen had been given various partners and was visibly exhausted by the circus surrounding him, his own form unrecognisable from his distinguished debut campaign under André Villas-Boas. How he must have welcomed the sight of his old Ajax companion.

It was hoped that the history the pair shared, and the promise of a non-changing partnership at the back would provide stability. The result was something more – each player thrived off the other, instantly in tune. If one would go tight, the other was ready to sweep around should something go wrong. Should one need an option to get them out of trouble, the other would be on hand to receive the pressure-relieving pass. Alderweireld’s outstanding one-on-one confidence gave Vertonghen the assurance he needed to burst forward in a way unseen since that fine first season of his.
Alderweireld himself would make his own forward ventures with the knowledge that his partner was set in position. The combination fitted naturally, something not seen at Tottenham since Robbie Keane and Dimitar Berbatov’s flicks and turns at the other end of the pitch a decade before. The appreciation for Alderweireld and Vertonghen as a pair was delayed. That is because for those first few months, fans were too consumed with awe from what they had seen of the former to even notice the sizeable improvement inspired in Vertonghen.
Until that season, only one modern defender had been truly worshipped at White Hart Lane. Ledley King earned that reverence for the ease with which he played. Before his knee problems, it was with an unnatural cool that he would pick off passes and terminate forward runs. The injuries only exaggerated how extraordinary it was that he played the game with such comfort. That is exactly what strikes you about Alderweireld.
Those two years were near-faultless. Cut off a through-ball, stride out of defence, feed the midfield. Poke the ball from the toe of a dribbling attacker, stride out of defence, feed the midfield. Rinse. Repeat. The art of defending was so effortless for Alderweireld that it quickly went from the astonishing to the expected due to the consistency with which he pulled it off. He normalised brilliance to the point where we perhaps started to forget he was achieving it. That is the greatest compliment that could be paid to him. He was the catalyst for normalising defensive stability at a club that had long suffered for their insistence on prioritising attacking gallantry.
Then, of course, there is the pass – his pass. If ever there was a trademark move to signify everything about a player, it is Alderweireld’s right-to-left diagonal ball. If you have watched Tottenham enough in the last three years, you can close your eyes and see it. He jogs away from his 18-yard box with the ball, surveys his options. He slows his jog to a walk. One touch to poke the ball out of his feet. One more with the outside of the boot to roll it into the path of his right foot.
Swish.
Heung-min Son, Christian Eriksen, Dele Alli, Danny Rose, Ben Davies. It does not matter who is out on the left touchline, the result is always the same. It is not the most difficult skill in the game; it is not always a potent weapon. But watching the ball arrow from deep on the right-hand-side over to the left-wing with such routine excellence is one of the most aesthetically pleasing scenes in football.

It is a sight that makes the edge of your mouth curl upwards with satisfaction, because it is the signal that you are watching a team with Toby Alderweireld on the right-side of defence. It is a tragedy that we will not have that anymore.

https://www.spursstatman.com/articles/2018/5/25/toby-alderweireld-a-pleasure-all-too-brief