Toby Alderweireld - Player Thread | Page 6 | Vital Football

Toby Alderweireld - Player Thread

I'm actually dishearted to hear this, I really am; he's in decline, has the turning circle of a broken tank, can barely jump now and has lost his pace over the first few yards.

It also means that it's highly unlikely that we are going to buy the new CB I wanted and hoped for anytime soon.

It's another sticky plaster job.

I'm actually dishearted to hear this, I really am; he's in decline, has the turning circle of a broken tank, can barely jump now and has lost his pace over the first few yards.

It also means that it's highly unlikely that we are going to buy the new CB I wanted and hoped for anytime soon.

There's 2 theories to this in my mind.

1) Jose has figured out that he has loads to work with across Davinson, Foyth and particularly Tanganga. Perhaps he's just buying himself more time to nurture these 3 into winners by keeping Toby around.

2) Jose will leave in 2 years time and we'll look at our ageing squad and figure out that he couldn't help himself and has done it again !!!

I would add though that he had JT winning the league at 34, playing 38 games and rarely allowing his pace to be an issue. Toby for me is the better centre half out of the two.

It's an Ex-Mas Ba-humbug! (see what I did there)

Its giving us time to scout a CB properly.

Maguire went for 80 million which is unreal - we need to be smarter.

Hope you are proven wrong Ex. I'd expect him to have a spring in his stride and probably see him jumping higher than Moura for those headers!

May be there was a general lethargy creeping in to the squad under Poch and influence of the so called 'unrest' behind the scenes that Trippier referred to.

Wonder what this means for other contracts. I know people always talk about Eriksen and Jan, but I think Dier putting pen to paper is equally as important. He's only got 18 months left.

Personally, I'd leave it for another 6 months for him to buck up his ideas. Hardly played last season, only just getting (or trying to get back) in to the groove.

I don’t think Toby is in decline yet except maybe a little bit of pace. I’m pleased he has signed. His professionalism has been first class. I don’t think we should offer Jan a new deal unless it’s a one year to keep him around the squad. He’s done better lately but I’m pretty sure I could skin Jan down the right flank.

Name of the game is turning instability into stability. We were and in some ways still are a team wobbling with instability...BUT Jose has began to change some of that. Toby may not be what he used to be and is in decline...but we need leadership on the pitch and someone needs to lead by example.

I dig this simply for that.

Name of the game is turning instability into stability. We were and in some ways still are a team wobbling with instability...BUT Jose has began to change some of that. Toby may not be what he used to be and is in decline...but we need leadership on the pitch and someone needs to lead by example.

I dig this simply for that.

The path to stability...

- Eriksen, Rose and Wanyama gone in January
- Tanganga, Parrott signing long term contracts
- Spurs pulling forward the Lo Celso transfer to January
- Dier signing a new long term contract
- Our captain back playing well again
- Vertonghen signing a pre-contract agreement with a European side in Jan.

We'd be rock solid in the second half of the season if all that happened.

Sees the field in attack as well as anyone at the position, and his read of the game is top notch. There's merit to having experienced (older) players locked up for the benefit of the team, but also because they tend to be antsier about things. Having Toby on board and in line with the program is tremendous, and I expect his play to improve substantially now that this is done and dusted.

The guy is a leader, and prolly should be team captain.

Sees the field in attack as well as anyone at the position, and his read of the game is top notch. There's merit to having experienced (older) players locked up for the benefit of the team, but also because they tend to be antsier about things. Having Toby on board and in line with the program is tremendous, and I expect his play to improve substantially now that this is done and dusted.

The guy is a leader, and prolly should be team captain.

This to the nth degree. He'ds playing for Mourinho. He was putting in time for Pochettino.

Mourinho downplayed his part in Toby signing an extension yesterday but he had this to say about Eriksen and Jan and contracts in general:

“I don’t think it’s a domino effect; every player has a different situation,” he said. “For a player in the last year of their contract to sign must be a union of desires: the club, the manager, the player, the agent, eventually the family or friends. In this case the family and the agents were happy to make the player happy. It was easy.”

Mourinho confirmed that he wants Eriksen and Vertonghen to stay but added: “If one of these parts doesn’t want [to extend the contract], it is very difficult to make it happen unless the player changes agent and gets an agent who also wants.

That last sentence is shocking. It's unacceptable the influence agents have over transfers and footballers careers, although the footballers themselves are obviously happy with the money generated for them by their agents.

Its giving us time to scout a CB properly.

Maguire went for 80 million which is unreal - we need to be smarter.

I believe we've done our scouting and have been for some time, but without a clear pathway, I'll be surprised if the target(s) I am led to believe we are enticing, won't come.

Hope I'm wrong.

Mourinho downplayed his part in Toby signing an extension yesterday but he had this to say about Eriksen and Jan and contracts in general:

“I don’t think it’s a domino effect; every player has a different situation,” he said. “For a player in the last year of their contract to sign must be a union of desires: the club, the manager, the player, the agent, eventually the family or friends. In this case the family and the agents were happy to make the player happy. It was easy.”

Mourinho confirmed that he wants Eriksen and Vertonghen to stay but added: “If one of these parts doesn’t want [to extend the contract], it is very difficult to make it happen unless the player changes agent and gets an agent who also wants.

That last sentence is shocking. It's unacceptable the influence agents have over transfers and footballers careers, although the footballers themselves are obviously happy with the money generated for them by their agents.

I said along time ago, the demands are almost always fuelled, lead and created by the agent(s) - I should know I own a small part of one, and their job is to act without any sentimentality and all talk of loyalty is frankly naive, it's their job to enrich their client (and themselves) with as much money as they can possibly get from a club, the business of football is ruthless.