Toby Alderweireld - Player Thread | Vital Football

Toby Alderweireld - Player Thread

D

Departed

Defensive record

Quite remarkably, in each of Alderweireld's seven full seasons as a professional, he has always played in a team that has had either the best defensive record (five times) or the second best defensive record (twice) in the league. On the two occasions that he played in the league's second best defence (Ajax in 2011/12 and Southampton in 2014/15), the number of goals that they conceded was only one more than the best defence.

Throughout our analysis it became apparent that Alderweireld's association with organised and disciplined defensive units, who don't concede a lot of goals, was not a lucky coincidence. This was a trend that continued after he signed for Tottenham as they posted the joint best defensive record in the Premier League last season and they currently have the best defensive record in the league this season too.

Alderweireld and Jan Vertonghen had played together with Ajax and Belgium
Alderweireld and Jan Vertonghen had played together with Ajax and Belgium
Perfect partner

It was also highlighted and factored into the analysis that, during his time at Ajax, Toby tended to play alongside Jan Vertonghen, who we envisaged he would play alongside at centre half in the Premier League. A successful previous working relationship between the two of them helped alleviate any potential concerns as to their suitability as a pairing.

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...ng-face-of-scouting-signing-toby-alderweireld

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember seeing them play together against United in the CL and said at the time we should buy the pair of them.

Most good things work in pairs. Surprised teams don't look at partnerships more often.

After the Rose stuff, it's now important we get this sorted ASAP

Sort it out

So this journalist on Premier League Today intimated that he had been talking to Spurs players and said that Rose was not the only player ticked off about wages.

When asked who he said he wasn't going to mention any names.

All three journos thought Spurs were screwed and Levy should open up the cheque book.

This is the media.

This is in this thread because Toby is still unsigned.

press now saying after failing to buy Jonny Evans, Man City have turned their attention to Toby :19: :19: :19: :19:

All the time he hasn't signed a new deal it's a worry

Bottom line is we need to be paying competitive wages in line with top 4 clubs. We all know wages are crazy but if the teams up there with us are paying a pound, we cant just expect to pay 50p and expect our players to be fine with it.

I know its a business and I know we need to balance the books....but sometimes the cost of not doing something far outweighs the cost of doing it.

I am not sure what Toby wants or is being offered, but if we had to replace a like for like, well what would we have to pay and would we get it anyway.....

Don't look now chaps, but we've just signed another Ajax CB (and for a record fee I'm hearing...although that's more down to the market than anything)...So does this mean Toby goes? And if Toby goes, does that mean Jan is not far behind? :93:

total spurs - 18/8/2017 23:45

Bottom line is we need to be paying competitive wages in line with top 4 clubs. We all know wages are crazy but if the teams up there with us are paying a pound, we cant just expect to pay 50p and expect our players to be fine with it.

I know its a business and I know we need to balance the books....but sometimes the cost of not doing something far outweighs the cost of doing it.

I am not sure what Toby wants or is being offered, but if we had to replace a like for like, well what would we have to pay and would we get it anyway.....

He wants what the top earners like kane and lloris get and we should pay him.

I would rather be a man weaker squad wise to give him what he wants. The team we are building is pretty damn good, we need to find ways of keeping our best players and paying them a bit more.

From what EX says it's more to do with his agent and that stupid clause in his contract that is the issue.

Real Deal - 19/8/2017 07:49

I would rather be a man weaker squad wise to give him what he wants. The team we are building is pretty damn good, we need to find ways of keeping our best players and paying them a bit more.

From what EX says it's more to do with his agent and that stupid clause in his contract that is the issue.

It really isn't a 'wages' issue, it is an agent who knows that he can get him one last big move and he wants to make sure that Spurs upside is limited whilst his/his clients could be 3 or 4 times what Spurs profit would be - is it fair? You decide.

There are agents buzzing around him and a small gaggle of other clubs trying to talk up a deal like bees around a free honey pot.

It's hard to blame them when they see a club like Manure pay what they did for Pogba knowing full well what the agents (lion share) of the deal was.

It's fine guys, if we sell Toby we just buy Jonny Evans - Toby's Pep's 2nd choice after Evans anyway :19: :19:

Toby Alderweirled's advisor Stijn Francis has insisted his client needs to be paid what he's worth by #thfc or he must be allowed to leave.

Kinygerbils - 3/9/2017 18:57

Toby Alderweirled's advisor Stijn Francis has insisted his client needs to be paid what he's worth by #thfc or he must be allowed to leave.

I know what levy is thinking. Sell toby next summer for big money before his 25m release clause is activated in 2019.

It will happen, thats why we paid big for sanchez.

I reckon there will be some big contracts signed in the next few months.

It makes sense waiting for the transfer window to close before starting to negotiate contracts with players.