TJ Eyoma | Vital Football

TJ Eyoma

Spursex

Alert Team
https://www.football.london/tottenh...nham-summer-transfer-market-millions-20712175

The surprise name who can help save Tottenham's next manager millions in summer transfer market
TJ Eyoma missed out on a fairytale ending to his Lincoln City loan spell as Blackpool beat the Imps 2-1 in Sunday's League One play-off final

By
Rob GuestFootball Writer
  • 14:28, 31 MAY 2021
Spurs

There was to be no fairytale ending to TJ Eyoma's Lincoln City loan spell after Blackpool came out on top in Sunday's League One play-off final.

A regular for the Imps over the course of the season under Michael Appleton, the Tottenham loanee had more than played his part in the club reaching Wembley after a 3-2 aggregate victory over Sunderland in the semi-finals.

Named at centre-back once again for the showdown at the national stadium, the Lincolnshire club made the best possible start as they took the lead with less than a minute on the clock, before Kenny Dougall's double either side of the break clinched promotion for the Tangerines.

It just wasn't to be for Eyoma and the Imps in the end but nobody can take anything away from the defender after a terrific season on loan in League One.

With Tottenham struggling in the past to pick the perfect club for their youngsters, the Lilywhites really couldn't have made a better choice for Eyoma in terms of his development.

Making 52 appearances in all competitions for Lincoln since September, including 34 starts in League One, the 21-year-old is only going to be better for his time at the LNER Stadium after spending long periods at both right-back and centre-back

"I've loved every minute of it. I've developed as a player and I've played games at both right-back and centre-back. I really feel that this has been a good season for me," he told football.london in an exclusive interview earlier in May.

"It has helped me just being in the right positions really. I feel like I can handle the ball and I'm quite fit, so I can play in the right-back role.

"In the earlier part of the season I played right-back and then towards the second part of the season I played centre-back.

"Both positions have helped me really and seen me improve as a player overall."

Now that his time in Lincolnshire has come to an end, Eyoma will enjoy a well-deserved break before returning to Hotspur Way in pre-season as he bids to take the next step in his promising career.

Tottenham's next manager will take a close look at all his players ahead of the 2021/22 campaign and then make a decision on whether they remain with him, go out on loan or are sold.

Involved for Tottenham on pre-season tours in the past after heading to the United States in 2018 when Mauricio Pochettino was in charge, it's a time in the calendar when the club's academy players can really take their chance with a host of first-team stars usually unavailable after their international commitments.

Japhet Tanganga, who Eyoma was once ahead of in the pecking order in N17, took his opportunity in the summer of 2019 and subsequently made his senior bow a few months down the line and is now part of the first-team squad.

Eyoma will be hoping that is very much the case for him this summer as defence is one area of the pitch where the incoming manager needs to address due to the team's struggles across the backline over the past two seasons.

Potentially handing the new boss a welcome surprise this summer, Eyoma made his 2021/22 pre-season plans clear to football.london when pressed on the matter.

"Obviously to be at Spurs in pre-season," he said on his 2021/22 plans. "If they want me to go on loan again I'll probably go on loan at a higher level, hopefully a Championship team."

A number of Championship teams will no doubt be queuing up to sign the defender on loan if he is made available by Tottenham given the success of his year at Lincoln.

Already with a solitary Spurs appearance to his name after Pochettino substituted him on in the FA Cup third round win over Tranmere Rovers in January 2019, Eyoma will be aiming to catch the eye of Tottenham's next manager from the start of July onwards and come into his plans for the new term.

Looking to bring in two centre-backs and move a couple on if possible before the summer deadline, the youngster could potentially help save Spurs quite a bit in the transfer market if he is to remain as an alternative option in defence next term.

Opportunities may also be there for him as well in the Europa Conference League but it will all come down to the new man's thinking.

Rated very highly at the club after penning a new three-year contract prior to his loan exit last August, it could very well be a pivotal summer coming up in Eyoma's young career.

I'd be interested to hear from some fans who have watched him recently. I don't really remember him having the touch of an elite player in the pre-seasons mentioned above. Seemed a good athlete and quite quick across the ground though.

One thing I always enjoy is seeing these younger guys in pre-season in the years where there are major international tournaments on. We saw a glimpse of Lavinier in one of the EL games at RB. We've also talked about Cirkin at LB and we also have Lyons-Foster and Fagan-Walcott in the middle. After Luis Binks left, I thought Fagan-Walcott was the most highly rated.

Does anyone ever watch these guys?

I'd be interested to hear from some fans who have watched him recently. I don't really remember him having the touch of an elite player in the pre-seasons mentioned above. Seemed a good athlete and quite quick across the ground though.

One thing I always enjoy is seeing these younger guys in pre-season in the years where there are major international tournaments on. We saw a glimpse of Lavinier in one of the EL games at RB. We've also talked about Cirkin at LB and we also have Lyons-Foster and Fagan-Walcott in the middle. After Luis Binks left, I thought Fagan-Walcott was the most highly rated.

Does anyone ever watch these guys?
Maybe we should ask Nick to take up the role . He would be perfect for it .