Time to becone a Republic? | Vital Football

Time to becone a Republic?

Bear1951

Vital Football Legend
I have always been uninterested in but relatively neutral about the Monarchy but this endless syrupy dross the BBC have bombarded us with over the last few days has moved me firmly into the camp of abolition. A major portion of the main news and a series of documentaries running on one channel or iplayer would have sufficed.

This dysfunctional family are an unwelcome distraction from the most corrupt self serving and incompetent government we have had in my lifetime at the time of unprecedented self inflicted national crises.

Last edited:
I have always been uninterested in but relatively neutral about the Monarchy but this endless syrupy dross the BBC have bombarded us with over the last few days has moved me firmly into the camp of abolition. A major portion of the main news and a series of documentaries running on one channel or iplayer would have sufficed.

This dysfunctional family are an unwelcome distraction from the most corrupt self serving and incompetent government we have had in my lifetime at the time of unprecedented self inflicted national crises.
No answer to that no doubt you would prefer. a Republican one like France truly corrupt on many occasions.

Last edited:
Simple enough just to change the channel/radio station when it comes on? I do that when Emily is watching/listening to complete rubbish as well.

Got no issues with the Royal Family myself. Although I do prefer The Royle Family.

Simple enough just to change the channel/radio station when it comes on? I do that when Emily is watching/listening to complete rubbish as well.

Got no issues with the Royal Family myself. Although I do prefer The Royle Family.

Tried that mate. Endless looping drivel on BBC one, the same on BBC 2, BBC 4 taken off the air completely. ITV the same sort of thing,ditto Ch4 and Sky. My major gripe with the tripe was that other really important news was ignored. Watched a dvd instead but would have liked to learn what was happening in NI, the latest example of corruption by those in power, the vaccine roll out in Europe. There was no nuanced assessment of an unusual life, just a complete gloss over syrupy borefest. Andrew Marr on Sunday was challenged by a contributor Helen Something? who brought up the massive number of complain'ts to the BBC along the lines of those I outlined and went on to suggest that the reason the BBC did what it did was out of fear that back bench nut jobs in the Tory Party might complain.

Just seen that there have been over 100,000 complaints to the BBC and I haven't even sent my own in yet. This represents the most complaints on any issue that the BBC has ever received and rightly so.

Last edited:
:rofl:I presume you don't believe that we have corruption over here? :lol:
Of course we do always have Power Corruption go together that. is why we have a fallback position..The Armed Forces etc take an oath to the crown not the Government of the day.

Of course we do always have Power Corruption go together that. is why we have a fallback position..The Armed Forces etc take an oath to the crown not the Government of the day.
So, you would be happy for the monarchy to use the armed forces to overthrow an elected government? It is clearly more urgent than I thought to get rid of them.

Exactly why we have two T.V.'s in our house so I don't have to change channel on my Irish wifey. If I changed her channel all hell would break loose especially if she was watching Home and Away or heaven forbid, Dancing with the Stars. Problem solvered with an easier and cheaper solution than a costly divorce. Sometimes you just have to think outside the box without her knowing it. :grinning:

Last edited:
Don’t know about time to become a Republic but it is time to stop taking the knee it was and is totally out of line after a minutes silence.....We are. I hope all against discrimination on the ground of race or colour. I could not care less about a persons colour or race.We do however support our Country against another Country in Peace or War or in Sport it is called Patriotism but do not mix the two....It is right to support one’s family and advice when necessary.We however must be careful that Patriotism is not exploited by political motives I.e. B L.M.all lives regardless of colour matter on that surely we all agree all life is presious.

Exactly why we have two T.V.'s in our house so I don't have to change channel on my Irish wifey. If I changed her channel all hell would break loose especially if she was watching Home and Away or heaven forbid, Dancing with the Stars. Problem solvered with an easier and cheaper solution than a costly divorce. Sometimes you just have to think outside the box without her knowing it. :grinning:

Surely you can't miss Schapelle on Dancing with the stars Pete!

I have mixed feelings on the matter. Firstly, I can't think of any alternative political Heads of State (Presidents) in the whole world who command my respect. Can you think of any? If New Zealand became a republic their current prime minister is about the only one that does have something about her and she doesn't really operate on a world stage. I can't think of any UK politician (from any of the separate countries or any of the parties) that I would want to be President (Head of State), with increased powers. Secondly, our monarchy is largely a non-political and ceremonial position with no powers but with the capacity to influence and project the country on a world stage if they were capable and respected. The Queen has largely achieved that, but her successor, Charles, has almost certainly not. Skipping a generation to William may give the Royal family a better chance in terms of leadership, respect and modernisation.
Thirdly, I have always believed that the 'official' Royal family has always been too large, with too many hangers on. That is one thing I would have criticised the Queen for, including allowing the likes of Andrew and his family to exploit their status. Of course, in the case of Andrew, it has also stopped him being brought to account for his dubious activities. I would confine it to the direct line of succession and their spouse / children. The others should make their own way in the world. Give the Monarch an official residence in each country of the UK and a country retreat and return all the other properties and income to the state for alternative use.
Taking into account all 3 points above, on balance I think that our monarchy is better than an unremarkable presidential system that doesn't seem to attract capable and respected political incumbents in the world today

I have mixed feelings on the matter. Firstly, I can't think of any alternative political Heads of State (Presidents) in the whole world who command my respect. Can you think of any? If New Zealand became a republic their current prime minister is about the only one that does have something about her and she doesn't really operate on a world stage. I can't think of any UK politician (from any of the separate countries or any of the parties) that I would want to be President (Head of State), with increased powers. Secondly, our monarchy is largely a non-political and ceremonial position with no powers but with the capacity to influence and project the country on a world stage if they were capable and respected. The Queen has largely achieved that, but her successor, Charles, has almost certainly not. Skipping a generation to William may give the Royal family a better chance in terms of leadership, respect and modernisation.
Thirdly, I have always believed that the 'official' Royal family has always been too large, with too many hangers on. That is one thing I would have criticised the Queen for, including allowing the likes of Andrew and his family to exploit their status. Of course, in the case of Andrew, it has also stopped him being brought to account for his dubious activities. I would confine it to the direct line of succession and their spouse / children. The others should make their own way in the world. Give the Monarch an official residence in each country of the UK and a country retreat and return all the other properties and income to the state for alternative use.
Taking into account all 3 points above, on balance I think that our monarchy is better than an unremarkable presidential system that doesn't seem to attract capable and respected political incumbents in the world today

A very thoughtful and balanced take on the issues.

The trouble being a lot of republic’s become either one party states or Dictatorships I.e Africa and go back to tribal disputes and not always settled peacefully.A number of people have told me their parents faired better under British Rule than independence.