Time for a new manager? | Page 84 | Vital Football

Time for a new manager?

Ahhh don't be a spoil sport.

The only time it's exciting to be a Villa fan is when we're hunting for a new manager.

I want to see us linked with Jose Mourinho, and end up with Dwight Yorke.

Far too soon to even think about such a thing particularly with the Bruce legacy still stinking the place out however no wonder other fans call us fickle.

I said on his appointment we need to show and give patience but Dean Smith & Co are most certainly not above constructive criticism.

Ahhh don't be a spoil sport.

The only time it's exciting to be a Villa fan is when we're hunting for a new manager.

I want to see us linked with Jose Mourinho, and end up with Dwight Yorke.
You ok Deano? I think you need to get out more :scoot: easy rider

Far too soon to even think about such a thing particularly with the Bruce legacy still stinking the place out however no wonder other fans call us fickle.

I said on his appointment we need to show and give patience but Dean Smith & Co are most certainly not above constructive criticism.

Agree with Thomas on this one on both points.

New managers every 12-18 months haven’t settled the club. DS comes in with a genuine passion and I hope he will think a little more long term than some who had an objective to get instant results (Garde, Bruce). What I mean by that is Bruce had the task to get us away from the relegation zone when he came in so bringing youth or waiting 6-12 months to get permanent signings in wasn’t always the priority.

If we are all realists and promotion is not expected or even wanted by some of us given our poor squad, then DS has a good 5 months to find out the players worth keeping and the potential ones to bring through.

That said - and I put this in the match thread - you can see a lot about a manager in their first few months and there are signs of where a manager will suffer his downfall. DS has made some poor substitutions and is trying to get us to play a way we aren’t capable of (yet). I buy into the DS philosophy, but you need the players to do it and that’ll be August at the earliest to get 4 or 5 in. I’m not sure we’ll ever get to that Brentford triangles-all-over-the-pitch style play, but its not the only style of play out there that will take us forward. DS has to also be adaptable and realise this.

He’s certainly not immune to criticism though he needs to learn from his mistakes quickly. Trying to bring on a defender who breaks his line to change a game for example isn’t going to work.

He has my full backing for the rest of the season and into the start of next season, but I reserve my right to my opinion after each and every game.

Last edited:
Just go and look at a gooner fanzine after a loss. Makes us look positively sane.

And we have the balls to scoff at other fans when they have meltdowns and demand quick sackings.

I'm not denying it's tough and piss poor but I am truly staggered that changing manager is even a discussion at the moment.

I like Dean smith but I wanted Neil warnock 2 yrs ago so I know nothing, 3 0 at fucking Wigan, oh dear you shower of spineless wankers.

DS has said he wants to get away from the loan approach and start building a stable squad. Dead right. That alone means he and the owners are looking beyond this season.

I think he'll still try to get the best out of the loans he's already got, and the loans with a right to buy we've done. We might yet still get promotion, if Jack and Alex return reasonably soon. Whatever, there's a rebuilding job to do in the summer.