Time for a new manager? | Page 45 | Vital Football

Time for a new manager?

The thing with young, inexperienced managers is they think they know it all and they fail. Ole Solksjaer, changed players and made subs 10-15 minutes into the game. Gary Neville tried to break it in La Liga without being an apprentice somewhere a little less pressured. Tim Sherwood didn’t know how to kill a game tactically.

I’m not adverse to Terry, although I’d rather more experience, I would hope he gets a good assistant and uses him. I also think he’d need a coach himself, someone to watch the games and give him some independent feedback.

Problem with young inexperienced managers is that they are vulnerable if they have a squad which is failing when they come in. Solksjaer was and is doing fine with Molde, a team of young ambitious players which he had built up; dealing with ageing pros in a failing Cardiff did for him. Garde likewise had to deal with overpaid ageing pros who cared little for the club, and was dumped in the smelly stuff big time when he tried to change it. Neville had an additional problem in that he didn't speak the language and had no intention of doing anything about it. Sherwood had a squad which responded when he came in but was too used to losing, and then had his best players leaving and had an awful transfer window, of which only some was his fault.

We aren't failing. The squad isn't falling apart, yet. Some of the players have given up on chances under Bruce and the newcomers must be wondering what they're coming into, but it's a squad which could and should be doing better, and doesn't need ripping apart.

Don't think age comes into it. But both Wolves and Leeds went for managers with a past track record with many positives that the clubs could see when they appointed them, and that must be a good thing.

Sherwood was “rightly” sacked for being shit, but Garde had an even worse record and was “unlucky”.. think he even had more games than Sherwood that season. He was shit and gave up like the rest of them did... Blamed the fact he didn’t have any funds to spend... still doesn’t explain why he lost virtually every game he had

According to wiki, it doesn’t look like Garde is having a great time as head coach of Montreal Impact (no, me neither!). Over 25 games: won 10, drawn 1, lost 14. I know nothing about MLS, maybe this is considered good for the club?

Dr snuggles or Jamie with his magic torch. If not Thierry Henry. Sounds sad but I would take a shoeing at Bristol to get rid of Bruce, he has to go.

According to wiki, it doesn’t look like Garde is having a great time as head coach of Montreal Impact (no, me neither!). Over 25 games: won 10, drawn 1, lost 14. I know nothing about MLS, maybe this is considered good for the club?

I'm not sure they are one of the teams expected to do well over there but I've only a vague idea about the MLS. I can't say it would shock me if Garde never managed at a decent level again, the poor sods probably suffering ptsd from his time here. I imagine every team talk he gives he gets flashbacks of gabby moaning about training or Lescott tweeting about his nice new car.

Sherwood was “rightly” sacked for being shit, but Garde had an even worse record and was “unlucky”.. think he even had more games than Sherwood that season. He was shit and gave up like the rest of them did... Blamed the fact he didn’t have any funds to spend... still doesn’t explain why he lost virtually every game he had

Sherwood was here for 8 months, while Garde had 4 months in charge, so your guess that he had more games than Tim that season was possibly true but, overall Tim had more games and a transfer window, while Garde was denied any dealings in the January window.
Sherwood February - October
Garde November - March

The problem I have is Bruce has done a great job, firstly stopping us from getting relegated 2 seasons on the bounce, I firmly believe we were headding the way of Sunderland until he arrived.
Last seasons close call was looking back a close call, had we been promoted we would now be bottom getting slaughtered every week because the 70 odd million we would have got for promotion would not have been enough to wipe out the debt and pay better players wages for a season. We would have been relegated in a bigger fucking mess.

My problem now is that under Steve Bruce the progress on and off the field had stalled massively and shows not sign of it been a blip, something we will soon recover from. I know new players need time to bed in but were almost 1/4 of the way through the season (2 more games) and its not looking good. Aston Villa need to be better than 13th, we will by Christmas lucky to make the play offs.

So sadly for me its time for a new manager, don't ask me who as I don't have a fucking clue, I always wanted Slaven Bilic before West Ham got him.....

That should be once great club.
Hardly say we have a vast fanbase as we only sell out villa park once in a blue moon, even in the prem it was only against the big 6.
Maybe one day we will get the local kids back who turn to Liverpool or Man u rather than the dross served at the Midlands clubs bar Wolves.??
Aston villa are a giant football club.have a look at attendances in the eighties,you will be surprised, regular small crowds at man city, arsenal, Chelsea, Newcastle,Leeds and west ham,I realized that we could join the elite when we sold out against the likes of wigan.aston villa have a huge fan base but eight years of funny farm leadership takes a toll.interest on social media is excellent,our club is destined to become an elite club

Aston villa are a giant football club.have a look at attendances in the eighties,you will be surprised, regular small crowds at man city, arsenal, Chelsea, Newcastle,Leeds and west ham,I realized that we could join the elite when we sold out against the likes of wigan.aston villa have a huge fan base but eight years of funny farm leadership takes a toll.interest on social media is excellent,our club is destined to become an elite club
That's why we never change our outlook and are doomed before we start with the over hype, our fans keep living in the past.
We were the dream club of some of the 80s so we had the equal pulling power of liverpool man utd and another then big big club in Everton. That was over 20 years ago
We have the potential to be a super power again with talk of a maybe stadium upgrade to 55,000 / 60 ,000 but that could be years away.
I was a season ticket holder in the 80s and yes we did average 45/46,000 thousand and we stood then and moved in waves when we scored.The atmosphere and songs we sang were hair stand up all over your body.
But it's a dull and dog shit now with the boring chant of holt enders in the sky the only hymn now at the church.
Sorry m8 we are a big club but no longer a giant.
To do that you need to be a success and we are so far off that its frightening.
Big club yes, big forum club yes, giant no way.

Perhaps the reason we cant remove Bruce is because we will have to pay him compo, which is why he will never walk and he would lose his payoff. Wouldn't the compo go into the FFP total which is already by all accounts is going to kick us in the teeth?
Haven't seen much to suggest we are doing much to sort that mess out yet and we may live to regret that decision to not sell Jack & Chester if we dont get out of this league this year.
Imagine that, a season with Bruce at the helme because of FFP even tho we are now in the top 5 richest British clubs.
You couldn't make this story line up of the Journey that it is following this club.
Oh well it could be worse, we could of been inbred Blouse fans who if they get hit with point deduction/ fine will go down, even under??

Look at this seasons attendances, and most of last's. Better than most PL clubs. That's what makes this club. We're not in the same league as MU, MC, Newcastle and Arsenal for attendances but we're near the top of the rest.

Play wise we are a Championship team, and under Bruce a mid-Championship team most of the time. That can and should change. I'm convinced we have the resources to build and build well, to make promotion a viable aim and what's more to survive after promotion. It will take time, and I believe the owners understand that. It's more important at this moment to get that process going than it is to aim for promotion at any cost. Promotion last year would indeed have been a disaster.

We need the right manager. Let's hope the owners can find him. Under Bruce, sadly, we are not building, not in the right way. We need to be going forwards.

On attendances Aston Villa are the 10th best supported (bums on seats) club in all divisions.

Well as l see it .It's up to the owners. If they don't mind being a average championship team with good runs now and then Mr Bruce will still be here at the end of the season
But if they have any ambitions his days are numbered. So the ball is in there court.do they move ahead or do they stick. Should be fun finding out

Look at this seasons attendances, and most of last's. Better than most PL clubs. That's what makes this club. We're not in the same league as MU, MC, Newcastle and Arsenal for attendances but we're near the top of the rest.

Play wise we are a Championship team, and under Bruce a mid-Championship team most of the time. That can and should change. I'm convinced we have the resources to build and build well, to make promotion a viable aim and what's more to survive after promotion. It will take time, and I believe the owners understand that. It's more important at this moment to get that process going than it is to aim for promotion at any cost. Promotion last year would indeed have been a disaster.

We need the right manager. Let's hope the owners can find him. Under Bruce, sadly, we are not building, not in the right way. We need to be going forwards.
As I said if you read it , big club not a giant.

cant understand why so many here want brendan rodgers he is as bad as bruce .yes he has had it easy in scotland up till now but i could do a job there . he did ok at liverpool but again liverpool arnt a club that is ever going to struggle in the bottom half of the table givern the money they spend and the name and brand they have

cant understand why so many here want brendan rodgers he is as bad as bruce .yes he has had it easy in scotland up till now but i could do a job there . he did ok at liverpool but again liverpool arnt a club that is ever going to struggle in the bottom half of the table givern the money they spend and the name and brand they have

He got Swansea promoted to the top flight for the 1st time in their history by playing fast attractive attacking football.

Once there he got them to finish 12th in their 1st season, which is a miracle on its own, but to think he did it by not sacrificing his principles and still had them playing fast flowing attacking football.

He then had Liverpool within a Steven Gerrard slip away from winning the title for the first time in 25 years, with the team scoring 101 league goals that season.

At Celtic (although Celtic is a walk in the park) he bacame the first manager to complete an entire season unbeaten since 1899. He is also the first manager in history in Scotland to win the treble in back to back seasons.

Most importantly for me he has Big Club experience. Villa is a big club, and we've gobbled up and spat out so many managers that just can't cope at a big club. Liverpool and Celtic are 2 of the biggest clubs in world football, so he wouldn't be overawed by the job here.

Rogers would definitely be someone I'd have at villa park. As Deano says l, he's got experience at big clubs that expect to win. Say what you will about the quality of the spl but there will always be pressure on the manager of celtic. Add that to his time at Liverpool where he had them closer to the title than houllier, rafa or Klopp have managed. I think he'd relish the opportunity to return us to where we belong not shy away from it and try to dampen our expectations.

why has bruce got in yannick bolasie at a cost of
£70k per week and not starting him .why tell AA he can go and then play him in front of a player we are paying 70k a week for i get that he is or was injured but if he isnt fit to start why are we paying so much in wages for him where we could have used that money to bring back JT or another defender i just dont get what it is bruce is doing . we have a great set of players .id say we have the best tools in the tool box but he isnt using the right tools for the job its like hammering a nail in with a saw . im sure the right manager would soon get this set of players up and running

why has bruce got in yannick bolasie at a cost of
£70k per week and not starting him .why tell AA he can go and then play him in front of a player we are paying 70k a week for i get that he is or was injured but if he isnt fit to start why are we paying so much in wages for him where we could have used that money to bring back JT or another defender i just dont get what it is bruce is doing . we have a great set of players .id say we have the best tools in the tool box but he isnt using the right tools for the job its like hammering a nail in with a saw . im sure the right manager would soon get this set of players up and running

I'm not sure I really believe that rumour. Its very rare that the loan club will take on 100% of a players wages.