Time for a change? | Vital Football

Time for a change?

johnolbe

Vital 1st Team Regular
It's been like a breath of fresh air having the Cowleys here and they've made some great signings but.....
Is it being gready to hope to see a better style of football ? Do we really have to keep lumping it up to Rhead and hope he can bully the opposition enough to get a lucky break. Surely the footballers in the team like Woodyard, Anderson, Arnold and Hawkridge would prefer to play with a fit, mobile footballer up top instead. We are so one dimensional with Rhead we are easy to predict and good, well organised teams can counter these tactics easily. The last few games has been like watching a Chris Moyses team again. Persisting with the basic hoof it tactics because he can win a flicked header and hoping it falls to someone should be left to the crap managers. The Cowleys are so much better than that surely?
I hope Theo Robinson is the answer

i think rhead is the reason we have to play 4-4-2, due to his lack of mobility - being less effective at the pressing.

for balance, i think there is much more tor rhead's game than just lumping it up to him. ironically the lump up to him makes him look more of a lump. we could at least try a more finessed pass to his chest or to his feet.

To make an accurate pass to Rheads feet or chest means he has to be mobile enough to gain a yard on his marker so he can recieve a pass with no one in the way. This very rarely happens so we have no alternative than to lump it to him unless we ignore him and play with 10 men.

I didn't even need to read the post once I'd seen the thread title...

...there is far more to Rhead's game than just being the recipient of lumped balls forward to him. I'm surprised anybody who watched the game on Saturday thinks it was like watching games from the previous managers reign and I suspect is probably only seeing what they want to see...

Big Jack McGinley - 18/10/2016 08:06

I didn't even need to read the post once I'd seen the thread title...

...there is far more to Rhead's game than just being the recipient of lumped balls forward to him. I'm surprised anybody who watched the game on Saturday thinks it was like watching games from the previous managers reign and I suspect is probably only seeing what they want to see...

+1

As soon as I saw who started the thread, I knew exactly what this would be about.

We're obviously still searching for a strike partner for Rhead and hopefully when that happens it'll be one who can play a role which makes us more of a threat in behind via through balls.

Marriott drops deep, Muldoon is a bit of a headless chicken and I didn't think Margetts was particularly clever in terms of his runs.

That said, I wouldn't say we're continually lumping the ball to Rhead this season either. Like opposition managers and players, it's probably too easy to make your mind on a style of play when you see someone like Rhead in the team.

Also, building a an effective passing team that can break down opposition that is well-organised and puts 9/10 men behind the ball isn't at all easy.

I thought Rhead did ok on Saturday although he did miss a few chances that you think previously he would have netted. I think Robinson should play but instead of Muldoon. Also Hope Arnold is back replacing Hawkridge. If so i can see us nicking it. We do need more control in midfield though, Wood despite his endeavor and commitment to the cause lacks the quality to play in central midfield.

I have to say I'm not overly bothered about the style of play provided we get out of this league. Having said that, we are still the league's joint top scorers and are sitting third. Why did we appoint Danny Cowley? Because he had taken Braintree to third in the table last season and we wanted someone to do the same for us. We are third with 31 matches to go. By this stage of the season, that is most definitely job done for now. It is a platform, and a very good one.

We have had a lot of changes to the side, some by choice but some enforced. We only have three players who are still ever-present. Losing Taylor Miles has caused a few problems - we would not have needed Champion had he been fit. We lost Margetts to a transfer (we couldn't sensibly refuse the offer) and Marriott to an injured elbow. Arnold has had illness plus a few knocks and finally had to miss out on Saturday. Therefore we have three important players missing through injury, and at a time when we are actively looking for two new players. Once the three players return and we have made the two signings, effectively we will have five very good players to come into the side. We will not be third any longer when they are there.

My concern about Rhead is that he hasn't scored in 8 games, and that is a long run for a striker. That can be accepted as long as he is providing opportunities for others - is he?

I would love to see Ricky Miller playing off him, though...

"...and they duly came up with the goods; Rhead knocking down a Habergham cross for THEO ROBINSON to fire home his second of the game."

Read more at http://www.redimps.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/guiseley-v-lincoln-city-emirates-fa-cup-4qr-3368997.aspx#OCPZhg2UCy3m5EZe.99

Big Jack McGinley - 19/10/2016 07:51

"...and they duly came up with the goods; Rhead knocking down a Habergham cross for THEO ROBINSON to fire home his second of the game."

Read more at http://www.redimps.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/guiseley-v-lincoln-city-emirates-fa-cup-4qr-3368997.aspx#OCPZhg2UCy3m5EZe.99[/QUOT

Remember last years assists from Rheady? get the right player/s there watch the goals come. One knock down goal every other match= 23 goals a season, come on THEO. :yehaa:

Apologies to all for not agreeing with everyone and having my own opinions, it often gets me in trouble.
Imagine a mobile front 2 of Theo and Marriott or a 1+1 of Theo + Whitehouse with Rhead on the bench as a plan B if needed like Mansfield used to use him. i hope that is the future.

If we sign Whitehouse it does open up 4-3-3 as a realistic option I think. Not sure we'd change formation but good to have options.

After many years of disappointment I'll take 3rd in the table and still in the FA Cup at this stage of the season.

German Imp - 20/10/2016 12:51

After many years of disappointment I'll take 3rd in the table and still in the FA Cup at this stage of the season.
I would take that in May as well :yehaa:

So, on the day we play Eastleigh, just a quick reminder of our home game last season against them...for the purposes of this thread, check out the first and third goals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giMrBAct3XM