Tickets for Troops | Page 2 | Vital Football

Tickets for Troops

Fully agree with Imptastic, to some extent same with uni student concessions as they have chosen to go uni and they get nice student loans to blow anyway so why not pay full price at the footy! Having said that i still get in games for cheap using my student card which says 2005 on it ha! would still come at full price just do it as I can and means an extra couple of pints at moment

pasifistimp - 4/3/2013 19:31

Imptastic you are a bloody disgrace!

From that quote I would argue it's you who is the disgrace. I think it's pathetic how everyone seems to have jumped on this bandwagon that members of armed forces should be given everything at discounted rates and should be paid god knows how much more. Yes, you have to be brave to be in the army, but I wouldn't consider the majority of the current armed forces to be my 'heroes' despite everyone making out like they're these supreme gods.

I also hate the response "why don't you join the army then!?" that people seem to say when you criticise it. How about, because I think that large armed forces do not prevent wars, but actually provoke other international bodies and make them invest in their military. The sooner we stop glorifying war and reduce the size of our army the better.

Possibly the smaller our armed forces gets the more the terrorists will take over and then ones friends and families will be at greater risk?

libertine - 4/3/2013 20:54

From that quote I would argue it's you who is the disgrace. I think it's pathetic how everyone seems to have jumped on this bandwagon that members of armed forces should be given everything at discounted rates and should be paid god knows how much more. Yes, you have to be brave to be in the army, but I wouldn't consider the majority of the current armed forces to be my 'heroes' despite everyone making out like they're these supreme gods.

I also hate the response "why don't you join the army then!?" that people seem to say when you criticise it. How about, because I think that large armed forces do not prevent wars, but actually provoke other international bodies and make them invest in their military. The sooner we stop glorifying war and reduce the size of our army the better.

:eek:ld3:

This is todays news very very close to home where troops have been withdrawn never mind elsewhere that the threat is far greater!
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/03/04/uk-irish-bomb-idUKBRE92308120130304

Moving this to off-topic in five minutes. A debate about the Armed Forces has very little to do with Lincoln City FC.

but its about giving tickets to games! very much on topic if you ask me!! plus I don't go on any other part of the site than 100% imps

BrownImp - 4/3/2013 21:02

Moving this to off-topic in five minutes. A debate about the Armed Forces has very little to do with Lincoln City FC.
Good idea, had a feeling this would happen.

pasifistimp - 4/3/2013 20:58

Possibly the smaller our armed forces gets the more the terrorists will take over and then ones friends and families will be at greater risk?

I understand that this sounds like it should be true, but it isn't. Terrorism is usually born from a sense of oppression, and increasing military sizes also increases frustration amongst anti-west individuals who then turn to terrorism to fight back. I am not making excuses for terrorists, but it's important to understand why they become terrorists in the first place.

mstevo - 4/3/2013 21:06

but its about giving tickets to games! very much on topic if you ask me!! plus I don't go on any other part of the site than 100% imps
It started off being about tickets to games, but has clearly moved entirely off topic.

I don't mind a healthy debate regarding the merits of the Armed Forces. In fact, I think it could make very interesting reading, as long as it remains civil.

Subject closed as far as I am concerened out of respect for those that have given their lives, limbs etc so that others can carry on as normal!

The people that are involved in the conflict in the "stan" IMO are fighting the terrorists on their own patch as opposed to the streets and train lines and bus services in the UK . I have complete respect for these people, and to give a few free tickets to people when they are back on leave etc. would be skin off know ones nose.

The people in the NHS do a brilliant job and have not had a pay rise for years but they are not risking their life and keeping bombs off British land. I also have respect for our police force run under stupid EU laws and not backed up by the rules of the CPS etc. The fire service and Ambulance service do a brilliant job.

It might be an idea to give these people free tickets for a couple of matches a year.

The ironic thing is four years ago I hadn't been to a home Lincoln game for about twenty years and I was given a couple of free tickets for matches and now when I don't watch Chelsea I always go to Lincoln, putting funds into the club each time.

bbh 11 - 4/3/2013 21:25

The people that are involved in the conflict in the "stan" IMO are fighting the terrorists on their own patch as opposed to the streets and train lines and bus services in the UK . I have complete respect for these people, and to give a few free tickets to people when they are back on leave etc. would be skin off know ones nose.

The people in the NHS do a brilliant job and have not had a pay rise for years but they are not risking their life and keeping bombs off British land. I also have respect for our police force run under stupid EU laws and not backed up by the rules of the CPS etc. The fire service and Ambulance service do a brilliant job.

It might be an idea to give these people free tickets for a couple of matches a year.

The ironic thing is four years ago I hadn't been to a home Lincoln game for about twenty years and I was given a couple of free tickets for matches and now when I don't watch Chelsea I always go to Lincoln, putting funds into the club each time.

A very balanced and fair view!

pasifistimp - 4/3/2013 21:08

I have no objection to Armed Forces getting in at £5

Exactly and that's what's its about. Might be £10. We as most clubs, offer concessions should it be extended to service personnel ? In my opinion yes. If it brings more in good. I'm. Not making any moralistic decisions but feel certain sectors, OAPs, students and perhaps service people deserve a concession. IMHO.

If doing a poppy round for 18 years, being the trustee of a charity helping youngsters achieve their sporting goals, and voluntarily doing quiz nights for local schools and clubs, raising thousands of pounds every year makes me a disgrace, then guilty as charged :pointy:

I commend you for your hard work raising thousands for charity, so to quote your reply of
"Couldn't disagree more. They get paid for the job they choose to do, why can't they pay to get in like the rest of us!?
Seems some what strange as the parents, grandparents etc have jobs to pay for those sporting activities and those that benefit from the poppy appeal mostly have pensions and alowances?
The poppy appeal as well as helping care for those who served their country in previous conflicts also provides help and research funding for the young servicemen and women who are currently or about to be sent out to hostile areas.
This is why I find it strange you will rattle a poppy tin for an excellent cause but deny them a discount to watch a football match?