Jamie Vardy- 1.78
Alan Shearer- 1.83
Sergio Aguero- 1.73
Lionel Messi- 1.7
Andy Cole- 1.78
Ian Wright- 1.78
Robbie fowler- 1.75
Julian Mbappe- 1.78

Yeahh mate, was my point :) The best ones are all short, not tall :)

He's out of contract at Fulham, so will be available but wages are likely to be the stumbling block - as they will for every other team after over a year with no fans.

As with Colback, there will be the realisation that Clubs will not be queuing round the block for his services; there are also a few incentives like a signing on fee and an extra year on the contract which the Club can tempt with.

If Cyrus fancies a move back closer to his home, the geography becomes another attraction.

Agree, keep worrall and the big jock, buy a striker and you have the spine of decent championship team right there.
Unfortunately keeping worral and buying a striker might not be on the same plan tho. And Garner isnt our player, it's really hard to speculate on that one, Manure could stick him anywhere at all, Maybe another prem league club ven, say Norwich fancied him or Brentford if they went up, that could be a good loan for those clubs.

I certainly couldnt bare another 2 seasons of defence first. Its been just too many years. Im not convinced that so few teams play with one striker, certainly in the sense of having goalscorers on the pitch, many have 2 or 3 players scoring regularly up front, along with goals from elsewhere.

Either way, we genuinelly have had the squad to go with a 3 at the back. Quite simply 4 of the best centre backs in the league who all defend the box well. I don;t see why it hasnt been tried, even if timidly at first with your wingbacks not being too gung ho. Let teams get it wide and cross it into our 3 centre halves who will gobble it all up all game. I think CH has tried 2 strikers about 2 full games when it blatantly has not been enough with one striker.

What neeeds to happen to actually consider 2 up top? Literally break our record of lowest goals ever? Cos its about 3rd worse ever now as far as I can see. If we keep losing one nil are we going to try and be more and more difficult to beat

Last edited:
Figuerido’s a funny one. He sadly has that error in him, but if you were to take that one mistake/lack of concentration out his game, you’d have a really excellent defender, much like he was last season and sporadically this season. It’s not like generally in games he’s anything other than really solid, but unfortunately those mistakes can be the difference between promotion and top 10.
only when you cant score, they would have made little difference to to the top sides this season. At the end of the day, he's had 2 seasons as part of one of the generally accepted best defences in the league. I think its folly to overlook that.

Unfortunately keeping worral and buying a striker might not be on the same plan tho. And Garner isnt our player, it's really hard to speculate on that one, Manure could stick him anywhere at all, Maybe another prem league club ven, say Norwich fancied him or Brentford if they went up, that could be a good loan for those clubs.

I certainly couldnt bare another 2 seasons of defence first. Its been just too many years. Im not convinced that so few teams play with one striker, certainly in the sense of having goalscorers on the pitch, many have 2 or 3 players scoring regularly up front, along with goals from elsewhere.

Either way, we genuinelly have had the squad to go with a 3 at the back. Quite simply 4 of the best centre backs in the league who all defend the box well. I don;t see why it hasnt been tried, even if timidly at first with your wingbacks not being too gung ho. Let teams get it wide and cross it into our 3 centre halves who will gobble it all up all game. I think CH has tried 2 strikers about 2 full games when it blatantly has not been enough with one striker.

What neeeds to happen to actually consider 2 up top? Literally break our record of lowest goals ever? Cos its about 3rd worse ever now as far as I can see. If we keep losing one nil are we going to try and be more and more difficult to beat

Im just saying wot i wud do rather than what might happen. First priority is a first 11 that competes, i like smith, i also like samba sometimes. In worral and mckenna we surely have the best cd pairing and build from the back. If we dont get garner we either need to make yates like garner or buy someone like him. At some point the player will want to settle for a bit and why not with us. I think there are options with krovinovic but he is experienced and with one or two better players around is a decent option for the right price. As i said, add a quality striker and you have the basis of a strong 1st team.

I think we dont have the investment needed for 3 at the back if i am honest although i have always liked that formation but it's total football stuff imo and very difficult to pull off successfully in the championship.

Im just saying wot i wud do rather than what might happen. First priority is a first 11 that competes, i like smith, i also like samba sometimes. In worral and mckenna we surely have the best cd pairing and build from the back. If we dont get garner we either need to make yates like garner or buy someone like him. At some point the player will want to settle for a bit and why not with us. I think there are options with krovinovic but he is experienced and with one or two better players around is a decent option for the right price. As i said, add a quality striker and you have the basis of a strong 1st team.

I think we dont have the investment needed for 3 at the back if i am honest although i have always liked that formation but it's total football stuff imo and very difficult to pull off successfully in the championship.
I know yeah, Norwich are struggling like hell, Leeds last year too, terrible stuff. Wolves, dirty bastards, Brentford keep knocking on the door with thier 8 men at the back and the swans, worst hoofball ive ever seen, watford, big lads, lump it in the box, Reading, always rough and tumble, Bournemouth, known for thier Millwall style. Yeah sod all that football malarky, wont get you anywhere ;)

WBA I spose are bit poop n did it, tho Villa went up n played footie, Fulham too scored a bunch.

Sheff utd.. well, bit ABC perhaps but very good ABC

Should we be like WBA or the Blades?

Im not sure Mckenna n Woz are going to be the best pairing. I hope Im wrong, but they are both left footed and play in exactly the same hole so someone has to change if its just the two of them. If you played 3, then that isnt the same issue

Im not sure Mckenna n Woz are going to be the best pairing. I hope Im wrong, but they are both left footed and play in exactly the same hole so someone has to change if its just the two of them. If you played 3, then that isnt the same issue

Worral is right footed but has played on the left die to the absence of a left sided centre half. They make a fine, well balanced pair.. the endless fantasy about three at the back is pointless. No one has ever made it work at Forest, Hughton has shown no inclination to try it and we are woefully short at full back for that formation.

Worral is right footed but has played on the left die to the absence of a left sided centre half. They make a fine, well balanced pair.. the endless fantasy about three at the back is pointless. No one has ever made it work at Forest, Hughton has shown no inclination to try it and we are woefully short at full back for that formation.
Totally agree.

I think Worrall and McKenna have only managed a game or two together. Definately one we need to see more of

We don't remotely have the fullbacks or midfield quality for 3 at the back I don't think

I know yeah, Norwich are struggling like hell, Leeds last year too, terrible stuff. Wolves, dirty bastards, Brentford keep knocking on the door with thier 8 men at the back and the swans, worst hoofball ive ever seen, watford, big lads, lump it in the box, Reading, always rough and tumble, Bournemouth, known for thier Millwall style. Yeah sod all that football malarky, wont get you anywhere ;)

Yes i hate free flowing passing football on the ground, especially when its done fast. If god would have wanted football to be exciting he would of...

Totally agree.

I think Worrall and McKenna have only managed a game or two together. Definately one we need to see more of

We don't remotely have the fullbacks or midfield quality for 3 at the back I don't think

Thats why id be tempted to keep figs, although would like to see more of soh

I think the only real difference has been Grabban. We either need him back to form for next year or a replacement who offers a similar skillset.
Up until the pandemic Grabban was fantastic. Given a sniff of a half-chance he'd bury it. In order for us to buy a player like that we'd need someone who comes good after they arrive. Not sure our scouting network is one step ahead like that.

Totally agree.

You do not need full backs to play three at the back, you need wing backs.

Christies strikes me as a more natural wing back than full back; he certainly looks far better getting forward than he does defensively, although he has improved in that respect.

Ribeiro might be the same although I am not sure he will ever produce decent crosses or link up effectively.

The problem with playing wing backs is you take away the need for Lolley, Ameobi and Knockheart, unless you play one of them at wing back which would be a tremendous gamble.

I do not see midfield as being the prohibitive factor, certainly not if we get Krovinovic and Garner back, which is a big if.

3 5 2 would not be inevitable we could play 3 4 2 1 or 3 4 1 2 with very little new blood in the side.

And who would be the two forwards (if we play with two)?

I would be reluctant to play Taylor if we only had ten fit players; maybe Johnson would be ideal for that role.

He has had licence to roam at Lincoln and has done very well, playing with great intelligence.

The problem with three at the back starts at the back; when have we had three fit centre backs?

If Hughton does have designs on playing three at the back, the rumours about Duffy make sense.

Despite not playing together with any regularity, Worrall and McKenna look the real deal; however we still look vulnerable at set pieces; maybe sticking someone in between them who is very good in the air is what Hughton wants.

He would also add some more experience and leadership, qualities Figueiredo does not offer.

I do not think because Hughton has not played with three at the back so far it is any indication he is averse to the idea.

When he came in his first job was to stop the ship sinking; that meant sorting out the defence and the spine of the side.

The emphasis would have been on keeping things simple; tinkering around with formations would not have helped.

The injuries he encountered after that would have reinforced that view.

If we get another centre back and there are no departures in that area, I can quite easily see Hughton giving three at the back a whirl.

He didn’t get too many goals or assists at West Brom but he did tend to play ‘the pass that led to the pass’.

He is a neat little player though and I wouldn’t mind him in our squad at the right price. Think we have more chance with him than Garner unless we are willing to throw some money around.

Hes better than Silva

What ever system a team plays teams are able to nullify. Either have the ability to change the system slightly within the game and team on the pitch or utilise the system so well, opposition tactics make little difference.
Even with three at the back and 5 in midfield, with the width provided by wing backs, I do not marine CH will go with 2 up top. Probably a striker with a free role alongside. This is where Johnson’s year long experience will prove invaluable. He has played alongside striker, behind striker, on left on right and as part of midfield. He is now learning when to float and when to stick. Unfortunately the rest of his team mates seem to have gone off the boil. Kirov can also lay this role but is woefully short of goals.

I think Christie could make an excellent wingback, is available, wages will be the issue and Riberio would make a good wingback as well, if he could cross. Bong can cross but any winger can beat him over first 10 yards. He does have a decent cross.

Squad could easily move into several set ups and systems with pretty much same personnel but will have to recruit a younger striker (or two) and a left back or left wingback. Keep Garner if possible. Not bothered about Murray or Knocks.