Thoughts on the future of Chris Hughton | Page 10 | Vital Football

Thoughts on the future of Chris Hughton

About 2 points better off.

No excuses; we probably performed better in those four defeats than we did in most of Hughton's games.

These last six have been an utter disgrace. The performances have been dire, we deserved one point rather than the three we struggled to and the players absolutely didn't seem to give a shit what the results were.

Went out today as I couldn’t be bothered with the final day. I have had season tickets, been to many away games & am bothered enough about Forest to post on here & I couldn’t be bothered. You have to worry about the people that think about going occasionally.

I think he will be gone within 10 games into the new season and another mess next season.

Too much work to do.

I think as a money spinning idea, we should allow the position of manager to be decided by lottery amongst the fans.

If you win, you get to keep the job for another week. If you don't then there's another lottery.

I think it would make more viable business sense than paying 2/3/4 managers' contracts at once.

I think as a money spinning idea, we should allow the position of manager to be decided by lottery amongst the fans.

If you win, you get to keep the job for another week. If you don't then there's another lottery.

I think it would make more viable business sense than paying 2/3/4 managers' contracts at once.
Massive, massive yawn

What I don't like is managers blaming the referee for losing, such as today. Although it is annoying, there will always be dubious decisions over the season and it is how you respond to them.For example, I can't remember Cloughie ever using a referee decision as an excuse for losing.
Anderlecht

CH has a good record of getting sides promoted from this division.

I've played devil's advocate to an extent - I find our current style of play (if you can call it that) largely boring.

Pass across the back, timidly try to advance down the left, but the other side have players in the way. Ooh, hadn't thought of that - funnel back to Worrall, even back to Samba.

Try down the right, similar result (or Knockaert gives it away horribly!) Somewhere along the way Gardner has it and you hope for a forward pass, but no.

But today we created several chances while boring everyone with this style in the first half. This means there was an incisive forward pass at some point.

I like the idea that the team is comfortable passing patiently. I also want us to create excitement and score goals. So I agree that unless that side of things improves CH is on thin ice.

If Hughton is given a chance and it didn't work out for whatever reason I would want us to try and get Mark Robins.Coventry play positively with some style, he utilises youth and gets the best out of them and it would be interesting to see what he could do with some funds to spend at his disposal.
I would agree with you, but for the fact that I hold a grudge against Mark Robins for scoring Manchester United's goal in the Third Round of the FA Cup in 1990 which put Forest out of the Cup, saved Alex Ferguson's job and changed the course of football history, such that rather than being in the top 3 of the top league, Forest have been dicking around in the Championship and below all of this millennium. Hence this discussion, yet again, about replacing the manager.

Well we have two months to argue about whether we should stick or twist with the manager and then we can argue about the merits (or lack of) of the players that are brought in ready for next season.

Oh and then there’s the Euros! Huzzah!

It just might be that CH gets the boot now and our management gets rid of most of the duds in the side at the same time.
In that case we might have an interesting start to the new season.

And pigs might fly!

I don’t think we should be getting rid of Hughton at all. Yes it’s been dour and turgid for most of the season but I honestly believe that with the right resources he will have us fighting at the right end of the table and the goals will come.

We will know more as we start to see the players come and go but I do feel relatively confident at the moment.

Have you guys learned nothing???
We aren't firing Hughton until at least a few games into next season. I mean sure, make it clear that he's going to be fired, but at least they should give him the Summer to prepare the team and buy whatever players he wants, then fire him if he loses a couple of games at the start of the season.

We aren't firing Hughton until at least a few games into next season. I mean sure, make it clear that he's going to be fired, but at least they should give him the Summer to prepare the team and buy whatever players he wants, then fire him if he loses a couple of games at the start of the season.
Not one person has actually said he should be fired I don't think

This. After bringing in his own players to play in his style, we should sack him one week after the transfer window has closed if he's not doing well and look to bring in a manager with a completely different footballing ethos on a five year contract and give him until one week after the January window has closed until he himself is toast.

There is surely no sense in changing manager at this point, I cant see that happening at all. Houghton has had some time now to figure out what he thinks is needed and if backed, and the rumours are he will be, he has that backing plus the other changes around him (Vrentos exit etc) all going in his favour. He has a proven record.

This season has felt like a write off for a while. You could argue he has delivered his first objective - survival, and now we want to see progress and that includes the playing style for me. I don't want to come back and it all be a massive dull anti climax, yawn fest of grinding out the points.

He has also probabaly benefitted from an empty ground, the fans would not have been happy with the stuff served up this season. With Hughton controlling the transfers and the entire pre season behind him there will be no excuses and nowhere to hide. With the fans back the pressure is on. The signings will be really interesting - no more shiort term Murray style stop gaps or shocking Arter signings please.

For all our sakes lets hope he gets it right or we are back in yet another grim cycle.

There is surely no sense in changing manager at this point, I cant see that happening at all. Houghton has had some time now to figure out what he thinks is needed and if backed, and the rumours are he will be, he has that backing plus the other changes around him (Vrentos exit etc) all going in his favour. He has a proven record.

This season has felt like a write off for a while. You could argue he has delivered his first objective - survival, and now we want to see progress and that includes the playing style for me. I don't want to come back and it all be a massive dull anti climax, yawn fest of grinding out the points.

He has also probabaly benefitted from an empty ground, the fans would not have been happy with the stuff served up this season. With Hughton controlling the transfers and the entire pre season behind him there will be no excuses and nowhere to hide. With the fans back the pressure is on. The signings will be really interesting - no more shiort term Murray style stop gaps or shocking Arter signings please.

For all our sakes lets hope he gets it right or we are back in yet another grim cycle.
I agree with all of this, save that I did not think that the Arter signing was "shocking". Arter had recent important Premier League experience with Bournemouth and had been an important player for Fulham, who got promoted, and indeed, if he had not scored for Fulham at the City Ground, Forest would have been in the play- offs. While he has not played at all well, and people say he is disruptive, it is hard to see how Lamouchi, Vrentzos, Anigo, Modesto or anyone else would have foreseen that.

Last edited:
I agree with all of this, save that I did not think that the Arter signing was "shocking". Arter had recent important Premier League experience with Bournemouth and had been an important player for Fulham, who got promoted, and indeed, if he had not scored for Fulham at the City Ground, Forest would have been in the play- offs. While he has not played at all well, and people say he is disruptive, it is hard to see how Lamouchi, Vrentzos, Anigo, Modesto or anyone else would have foreseen that.
Arter should have been a great signing. Most people certainly thought he would be. But for some reason it really hasn’t worked out and had we known this could potentially happen we would never have signed him.

Not one person has actually said he should be fired I don't think
I think under normal circumstances he should be fired. But its only the fact that weve done it ten times that that seems forlorn too. I think thats the real reaason for most not wanting him out, as opposed to the progression and forward thinking football he's shown us on the pitch.

Personally, im kinda sick of the eternal loop. At this very moment all I want to do now is watch good football and lots of goals with smiling youthful energetic players. I really dont care about a battle for top 6 with dour football. All to probabaly fail at the last hurdle anyway. I want to be entertained, not chase targets.

So, going by the one of the worst managers performances, in my opinion, in my lifetime, its a no from me.