Those were the days my friend... | Vital Football

Those were the days my friend...

What a season. Pearce, Cooper, Bohinen, Stone, Woan, Roy, Collymore etc. Stanley caused Bruce and Pallister untold problems on his Premier League debut. Winning 4-1 at White Hart Lane. Spurs supporters applauding us. First team to score at Old Trafford in a year and won. Beating Wednesday 7-1 at Hillsborough. Great days.

Qualified for the UEFA Cup and got to the quarter-final. Came away from the Olympic stadium against Bayern with a very credible 2-1 loss. Absolutely hammered them for the first half an hour in the return leg but couldn't score. Lost 5-1 in the end. :grinning:

I remember Terry Venables was doing the punditry on one of our nights in Europe that season and him saying something along the lines of ''Forest have good options on the bench with the likes of Silenzi''. :wagging:

For a couple of seasons it genuinely looked like we were back in the Clough years but Collymore was sold and never properly replaced, Cooper left and it all went pear shaped.

Still for one season I got to watch us take on the best the league had to offer and go toe to toe with them. Beating Man Utd at their place and watching Fergie rant was a notable highlight...

For a couple of seasons it genuinely looked like we were back in the Clough years but Collymore was sold and never properly replaced, Cooper left and it all went pear shaped.

Still for one season I got to watch us take on the best the league had to offer and go toe to toe with them. Beating Man Utd at their place and watching Fergie rant was a notable highlight...

The Fergie rant was epic. Kicking off at the referee, yet it was one of the most one sided refereeing performances that we'd played under the whole season -and the refereeing performance was one sided in favour of Man United!

What a season. Pearce, Cooper, Bohinen, Stone, Woan, Roy, Collymore etc. Stanley caused Bruce and Pallister untold problems on his Premier League debut. Winning 4-1 at White Hart Lane. Spurs supporters applauding us. First team to score at Old Trafford in a year and won. Beating Wednesday 7-1 at Hillsborough. Great days.

They also ambushed us on the way home lol

Just mucking fajic.

Funnily enough a little project I'm working on required a few snippits from 1994, and I included Collymore's goals against Man U in the 1-1.

He gave us SO many great memories that season, as did all the lads, not least his goal at Old Trafford in the 2-1 too.

But I remember clear as day watching that goal at home in the 1-1. it just FELT so amazing, because we'd had a decent start, yet everyone was expecting us to drift away because we were promoted.

Kanchelskis put them in front and you could sense the "yeah, here we go, time to know our place now" vibes. But far from it we kept at 'em and Collymore was just too much for them to handle. That was a fucking lush moment, and the buzz I had on coming away from that game was incredible. We truly felt unstoppable, and had we hung on to him or invested better the next season everything could have been so much different.

Folk say it could never happen again, but then I look at Pearce unearthing Antonio & ask "why not"?

The only thing stopping that is naive owners who have put their trust in a recruitment team which has landed 4 forwards/attacking players in Mir, Bonatini, Da Costa & Diakhaby, and between the 39 appearances they've made for us haven't scored 1, not ONE solitary goal. That's just beyond awful.

We can make 1994 happen all over again, esp with Lamouchi able to squeeze so much from players, but Pearce should be signing the attacking players here, instead of/as well as Modesto.