Thommo | Page 4 | Vital Football

Thommo

Parkin covered the Imps for years, doing reports for Radio Lincs back when we didn't have commentaries. He was a bit of a legend IMHO
Remember him well,he was excellent. Fella called Mike Molloy used to be on as well, think he covered Rasen races. Seems an age ago, Stuart Hall was still allowed on radio 5 back then!

ps - predicted text turn Fella into Fellaini WTF!

yes that was wha
Has Thommo played and managed at an high level, who would have thought that, he maybe ought to mention that a few more times.
To be fair he gives a great insight into tactics as long as it’s 442 and there is a begun and a little un up front and nobody plays square passes in midfield and defenders don’t p*ss about at the back.

It all ends up in the Onion Bag, piled on top of the clichés.

As regards the quality of Hortin, Thommo and co, I think we must remember that this season most of us actually watch the game live on iFollow, rather than listen. Its therefore easier than before to pick up their mistakes.

I don't expect BBC/Sky TV quality on what they get paid - its still local radio after all. However I do expect Hortin especially to do a little bit of research on the players before the same - something that other local radio commentators seem to do well.

In my view Thommo is one of the better summarisers around at this level. I hope he is back soon.

As regards the quality of Hortin, Thommo and co, I think we must remember that this season most of us actually watch the game live on iFollow, rather than listen. Its therefore easier than before to pick up their mistakes.

I don't expect BBC/Sky TV quality on what they get paid - its still local radio after all. However I do expect Hortin especially to do a little bit of research on the players before the same - something that other local radio commentators seem to do well.

In my view Thommo is one of the better summarisers around at this level. I hope he is back soon.

I listened to radio humberside once when were playing the cods and they literally referred to some of our players as 'the number 10' etc...

He was very dry and unexcitable. I reckon Shay McCartan's worldie at Swindon would have been met with a clear and precise 'and Lincoln have scored', before adding in understated tones, 'McCartan with a volley from the left hand side about ten yards outside the box'.
Not how I remember and have heard in the archive clips, if you’re talking about Chris Parkin

In the times before ifollow video passes, as an exile I used the ifollow commentary which costs around £60 a year. If you missed a few seconds at the beginning you had no idea which way the teams were kicking. The pointers to occurrences on the pitch were extremely rare and even when something like a penalty was taken it wasn't always clear what the outcome was for a few seconds.

In the times before ifollow video passes, as an exile I used the ifollow commentary which costs around £60 a year. If you missed a few seconds at the beginning you had no idea which way the teams were kicking. The pointers to occurrences on the pitch were extremely rare and even when something like a penalty was taken it wasn't always clear what the outcome was for a few seconds.

My dad used to talk about the radio commentaries for big games (eg cup final) in the days before telly. The Radio Times (?) would have a football pitch marked out in a grid with each box numbered. As the commentator followed the play, a voice in the background would speak out the grid number where the play was taking place

My dad used to talk about the radio commentaries for big games (eg cup final) in the days before telly. The Radio Times (?) would have a football pitch marked out in a grid with each box numbered. As the commentator followed the play, a voice in the background would speak out the grid number where the play was taking place

It's said that was the origin of the expression "back to square one", but I expect there will be other claimed origins for it.

I think that if it was for the 'should have been wearing a skirt' reference, it's very unfortunate if he has lost his summariser role, but in the current equality climate it's not appropriate and that's probably the price he has paid. I thought he did a good job - Michael Hortin and Sporty Rob combo didn't do it for me. Perhaps Mark Hone will fill the spot - he was very good last time out.

I think that if it was for the 'should have been wearing a skirt' reference, it's very unfortunate if he has lost his summariser role, but in the current equality climate it's not appropriate and that's probably the price he has paid. I thought he did a good job - Michael Hortin and Sporty Rob combo didn't do it for me. Perhaps Mark Hone will fill the spot - he was very good last time out.
Always think an ex-player or managers view on the game is interesting. Get Dean Walling on, he can tell all about his time at Carlisle.