This so cool! | Page 7 | Vital Football

This so cool!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-57244708

Interesting stuff, especially as no-one knows what "dark matter" actually is.

It's essentially a postulate to make classical physics and cosmology work, as far as I can see.

Indeed. Dark Matter and its partner, Dark Energy, are all about creating new things to cover for the failings in current physics & cosmology. The utter paradoxes that we now have can only have that conclusion, namely that we've got things all wrong at the moment.
And I did say that to my astronomy professors quite a number of years ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-57639520

Big collisions.

This comment amused me:

"The observations could mean that some ideas of how stars and galaxies form may need to be revised."

You could append it to almost any astronomy article published these days. We know far more, but understand merely a fraction.
Interesting. I don't claim to understand much of that, but it mentions the detection of black holes colliding - what (not) on earth happens in that instance?

Interesting. I don't claim to understand much of that, but it mentions the detection of black holes colliding - what (not) on earth happens in that instance?

They combine to form a "bigger" black-hole with an event-horizon no smaller than that of the two constituent black-holes (as per Hawkins work and recently confirmed by LIGO observations).

They also send out a ripple (wave) in space-time that literally distorts the fabric of the universe, which is how these collisions are detected (by LIGO). This is a prediction of General Relativity, only recently confirmed (again, by the LIGO instrument).

My advice: stand well clear.

I didn't know exactly when the Bezos show was happening and I joined it when the booster was in its descent about 30 miles up. It seems to landed very close to the planned site. Within very few minutes, the capsule descended and shortly after the people got out. The whole thing from take off to landing didn't take very long at all.

x.jpg

The YouTube channel is here

I didn't know exactly when the Bezos show was happening and I joined it when the booster was in its descent about 30 miles up. It seems to landed very close to the planned site. Within very few minutes, the capsule descended and shortly after the people got out. The whole thing from take off to landing didn't take very long at all.

View attachment 50472

The YouTube channel is here
So who won the billionaire willy waving war then?

So who won the billionaire willy waving war then?
Bezos's big boy's toy is very unsubtle in that respect, every time I see it I can't keep a straight face.

At least Musk, while probably certifiably bonkers, at seems to be developing a programme which furthers space exploration, unlike the indulgences of Bezos and Branson, though no doubt they will claim they are also furthering the cause.

Bezos's big boy's toy is very unsubtle in that respect, every time I see it I can't keep a straight face.

At least Musk, while probably certifiably bonkers, at seems to be developing a programme which furthers space exploration, unlike the indulgences of Bezos and Branson, though no doubt they will claim they are also furthering the cause.
Despite his character flaws Musk does seem to have the future of the planet and its inhabitants at heart. I would extend that to Dale Vince (fewer flaws) but people on here appear to be unable or unwilling to cut him any slack