This shows how lucky we are! | Vital Football

This shows how lucky we are!

Casperimp

Vital 1st Team Regular
Yet another demonstration that there is virtually no loyalty in football and how lucky we are that we have The Cowleys in charge

Wrexham give Ricketts his first opportunity in Football and after he has a modicum of success he is off like a flash when the chance arises.

Has done the same as Keates did to them last season. To Shrewsbury as well what an odd choice even though they are in League 1 I would argue that Wrexham have more potential

https://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/17274217.sam-ricketts-departure-wrexham-fans-have-their-say/

Just goes to show that The Cowleys are genuine and loyal as they have had ample opportunity to leave but choose to stay with us and build something special.

I feel sorry for Wrexham. It's not even as if Keates or Ricketts pulled up any trees for them. In Rickett's case a 3 month probation, guided them to 3rd in the table without scoring enough goals to trouble Orient and Salford. What do Shrewsbury see there? - that's no CV.

I feel sorry for Wrexham. It's not even as if Keates or Ricketts pulled up any trees for them. In Rickett's case a 3 month probation, guided them to 3rd in the table without scoring enough goals to trouble Orient and Salford. What do Shrewsbury see there? - that's no CV.
especially after they have just recruited and sacked askey - who had actually just won the national league.

I think Ricketts is mates with a couple of the people at Shrewsbury from what I read.

But yes, the Cowley's - we'll stick with you until we feel our job is done
Many others - Ooh shiny money

Probably the first managers ever at Lincoln City to be in a position to have the club come to them and say "What do you need?" rather than "Here's what you can have"
Of course it is all relative to the level you are at and realistically where you can aim for but a little ambition must go a long way in terms of fostering tangible benefits throughout the whole club from the boardroom to the fans and everyone else in between. It sure beats fire fighting.

Credit to the Club as well for making the Cowleys feel as though they want to stay.

If they weren't hearing, seeing or had the assurances they wanted to, they'd probably have left.

Yeah agreed. It needs to cut both ways doesn't it. You can't have an environment where a manager will just be binned off at the first sign of trouble and then expect loyalty in return. And that's exactly how it is at most clubs, including us in the past.

The other thing I like about the way the brothers have gone about things is their aim to leave a legacy in the training ground rather than splurge the FA cash on highly paid players. There are teams in this League with 30+ players on their books!

The other thing I like about the way the brothers have gone about things is their aim to leave a legacy in the training ground rather than splurge the FA cash on highly paid players. There are teams in this League with 30+ players on their books!

Absolutely. That's another thing that marks them out as totally different from the football norm. I am hoping that they are here long enough so can put into place an infrastructure and success base that can be carried on once they eventually leave, which is clearly starting to happen.

Isn't it really a fantastic time to be an Imp. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity that the club do seem to be grasping with both hands. Our club may neve be the same again! Isn't it great? :grinning:

Absolutely. That's another thing that marks them out as totally different from the football norm. I am hoping that they are here long enough so can put into place an infrastructure and success base that can be carried on once they eventually leave, which is clearly starting to happen.

Isn't it really a fantastic time to be an Imp. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity that the club do seem to be grasping with both hands. Our club may neve be the same again! Isn't it great? :grinning:
No its not great its Blooming Brilliant!
If fans remain grounded i believe they could be here for a long time.

Interesting comments from Danny last night on the youth set up and wanting that to bring through players.
Another legacy they will hopefully leave us.

Works both ways. A few bad results and Wrexham wouldn’t have thought twice about binning him off. He’s got a chance at a league one club, he’d be mad not to take it.

Might have said this before, but for a lot of people their employment contract is "permanent". So no fixed end to it and some statutory entitlement to redundancy settlement etc.
Why could we not make the Cowleys' contract "permanent" too? It's what they would have had in teaching. Why should football be different?

Might have said this before, but for a lot of people their employment contract is "permanent". So no fixed end to it and some statutory entitlement to redundancy settlement etc.
Why could we not make the Cowleys' contract "permanent" too? It's what they would have had in teaching. Why should football be different?

Because in that type of employment the employee could hand in their notice of 4 weeks and leave us in the lurch
A contract is legally binding on both parties to fulfil for the duration

Credit to the Club as well for making the Cowleys feel as though they want to stay.

If they weren't hearing, seeing or had the assurances they wanted to, they'd probably have left.

Personally, I like to think this was all part of the original interview process. Seeing the way the brothers talk every day I can well believe they would have set out exactly how they planned to take the club forward in some detail. That's probably what made the difference initially between them and the other candidates, who probably spouted the usual football related dross. Another difference is that, as we have gone through each year, they have actually delivered on everything - not just the playing side, but the club infrastructure and everything about the way the club is being developed and run. You can't argue with people who deliver (particularly way above targets). It would have been a rolling developmental process and the Board recognised this and would be nuts not to back them to the hilt, which luckily is what they've done. As you say Luke they would probably have left if that hadn't happened or if they had notbeen successful in their plans. I'm not in any way religious but "We are truly blessed to have the chosen ones" (so far).

I'm struggling to remember who were the other 'candidates' at the time... 2.5 years ago doesn't sound that much, but in LCFC terms - especially with what's happened since then - it seems like a lifetime away.

Did we actually interview anyone other than DC/NC? Surely given what they had achieved at Braintree (getting them to 3rd while working full-time at the school must still be right up there on their CVs) should have made them the standout candidates for any of the lower league jobs going at the end of that season. Thank goodness Moyses had already tendered his resignation and we were in a position to pounce.