THIS MATCH THREAD IS A LOAD OF OLD COBBLERS | Page 6 | Vital Football

THIS MATCH THREAD IS A LOAD OF OLD COBBLERS

Midfield seem to completely abandon their defensive shape.When Northampton came forward they had unmarked players out wide on both flanks and in the middle. It’s a lot easier to score when you can just rain crosses into our box unchallenged.

Midfield seem to completely abandon their defensive shape.When Northampton came forward they had unmarked players out wide on both flanks and in the middle. It’s a lot easier to score when you can just rain crosses into our box unchallenged.
Yes im not sure where our fullbacks were at the end, Northampton seemed to always have space out wide to get crosses in and could have scored a couple more with better finishing.
It was like a cup tie though with both teams trying to get the winner, Samuel was unlucky with his shot off the inside of the post, and I’m not sure why Dempsey didn’t shoot when clean through on the right, but he stopped and cut back so the momentum was lost.

Have to confess, heathen that I am, I could see that coming and put a fiver on Cobblers at 2-0 at 20/1 after we scored and started to sit back a look shaky (they were 100/1 to win which could easily have happened). I cashed out a 70 quid pretty quickly after the equalised as was sure one of us would score at the end as we both pushed and looked hopeless defensively.

Have to confess, heathen that I am, I could see that coming and put a fiver on Cobblers at 2-0 at 20/1 after we scored and started to sit back a look shaky (they were 100/1 to win which could easily have happened). I cashed out a 70 quid pretty quickly after the equalised as was sure one of us would score at the end as we both pushed and looked hopeless defensively.

I had two different bets on us, both were good at 2-1. W@nkers lol

I said a few months ago that I would be satisfied with a top 10 finish, flirt with the playoffs and then keep our key players and management team for a crack at top 6 next year. Whilst I do class the season as a success I can’t help but feel a little frustrated recently. The hammering of Lincoln got us all excited, we put a nice run together but seem to be found wanting at crucial times.

Maybe the smaller squad hasn’t helped in someways. It has meant higher quality players. I think we’re all in agreement there. And they seem to have a togetherness between them which is good. Yet it does mean playing more games with less chance of rest.

The thing surprising me the most is the recent inability to close out games.
As someone mentioned earlier, how do you close out a 1-0 win away at 2nd in the table, yet capitulate so easily at home either side of it. I know the business end of the season throws up some surprises, but for a Steve Evans side lose 2-0 leads twice in a week is an odd one. I recall the game management from his Rotherham and Crawley sides were so frustrating for the opposition to take but highly effective. I wonder what’s happened.

I do feel today the Northampton were relentless, lacked quality but had a good team spirit.
We had the quality to see out the game but once again failed - totally frustrating where we could have been had the Oxford result gone our way.
That said I would have bitten your arm off at the start of the season to have a finish like we have had without worrying about relegation since Edinburgh- proud of the achievement frustrated at the same time.
Look at Bristol Rovers and Southend

Happy GFC supporter for the Summer and let’s see what 2021 / 22 bring forward all of us

I said a few months ago that I would be satisfied with a top 10 finish, flirt with the playoffs and then keep our key players and management team for a crack at top 6 next year. Whilst I do class the season as a success I can’t help but feel a little frustrated recently. The hammering of Lincoln got us all excited, we put a nice run together but seem to be found wanting at crucial times.

Maybe the smaller squad hasn’t helped in someways. It has meant higher quality players. I think we’re all in agreement there. And they seem to have a togetherness between them which is good. Yet it does mean playing more games with less chance of rest.

As someone mentioned earlier, how do you close out a 1-0 win away at 2nd in the table, yet capitulate so easily at home either side of it. I know the business end of the season throws up some surprises, but for a Steve Evans side lose 2-0 leads twice in a week is an odd one. I recall the game management from his Rotherham and Crawley sides were so frustrating for the opposition to take but highly effective. I wonder what’s happened.
I wonder if our full backs are too interested in things in front of them .Not having a dominant centre back or defender can't help.Getting a month full from the bloke next to you any time you get caught out failling to track a runner etc.Possibly has a more immediate impact that Evans or Raynor yelling it from thirty or more yards away.
I can't see many young players arguing with someone like Barry Fuller or Simon King for example.
I know Simon at least once said he did not want the captaincy as he had more than enough responsibility in the back line.My guess is Garry Richards wasn't half the player without Simon not just because he was there but because he was given the right information on a regular basis.

Very good points there Rob and I agree. It's surprising that we don't bring on the likes of McKenzie and O'Connor to close the game out at 70 mins or whatever. It may be boring for fans but when you need the result you do what you have to do and SE has been around for long enough but seems reluctant to make subs until very late on