This is the problem | Page 2 | Vital Football

This is the problem

Exactly right. I've never had a problem with people supporting a team from outside their home town. No reason why a fluke of birth should determine who you support for the rest of your life.

I have nothing but contempt for people who support Liverpool or Manu. while having no connection with those cities.

No problem at all here, this is what football fans do. In most cases you don't choose your team, your team chooses you and you're hooked for life.

That would be fine if it was a random choice. If hundreds of people in Liverpool or Manchester found themselves irresistibly drawn to Grimsby Town, Lincoln City or Scunthorpe United just as hundreds or thousands in Lincolnshire find Liverpool or Manu. have "chosen" them.
In reality it's glory-hunting and I have no respect at all for such "fans".

Exactly right. I've never had a problem with people supporting a team from outside their home town. No reason why a fluke of birth should determine who you support for the rest of your life.
Thanks for that. I'm not Lincoln born but watch with my son who has lived in Lincoln for the last 8 years. We go to the bank together rather than watch the premier league team in the town of my birth (whom I've never supported as I also watch another sport) - we go to games, spend money in the club shop and I'm proud to be plastic. ?

No problem with me. One I do struggle with, is the number of Manure supporters here in Barnsley. The place is about as "proud Yorkshire" as possible, so following a side from the wrong side of the Penines always puzzles me. Although, it does give me some handy flannel to throw around.

There's a good story i remember reading in a football magazine years ago, about a chap who lives in Kent. When he was a little boy he didn't know which football team to support. He used to read Shoot! magazine, and if anybody can remember in the 1970's and 80's they used to have a cardboard league ladder, and little tabs of all the teams. You would collect it all over 4 weeks. The idea being you would have to move the tabs up and down each week, once you'd checked the league tables in the Sunday paper.
One day he decided to put all the little tabs in a bag. He would put in his hand and the team that he drew out would be his team.
Anyway he pulled out Meadowbank Thistle.
A little team in Scotland. Most people would have had another go, but not him, that was his team, and once he got old enough he bought a season ticket and travelled up each week on the train to watch them. There's a little bit of a sad part now, as in 1995 Meadowbank were suffering from financial difficulties and the chairman made the decision to move the club away from Meadowbank to Livingston. I've a funny feeling there might have been some investment from Sky behind it. But Meadowbank changed their name to Livingston. It's like Wimbledon moving to MK Dons.
At this point this chap would have been well within his rights to class the deal as null and void as Meadowbank were no more. I think most football supporters would have forgiven him if he wanted to divorce his club after that. But he didn't and the story said that he carried on supporting Livingston.

There's a good story i remember reading in a football magazine years ago, about a chap who lives in Kent. When he was a little boy he didn't know which football team to support. He used to read Shoot! magazine, and if anybody can remember in the 1970's and 80's they used to have a cardboard league ladder, and little tabs of all the teams. You would collect it all over 4 weeks. The idea being you would have to move the tabs up and down each week, once you'd checked the league tables in the Sunday paper.
One day he decided to put all the little tabs in a bag. He would put in his hand and the team that he drew out would be his team.
A little team in Scotland. Most people would have had another go, but not him, that was his team, and once he got old enough he bought a season ticket and travelled up each week on the train to watch them. There's a little bit of a sad part now, as in 1995 Meadowbank were suffering from financial difficulties and the chairman made the decision to move the club away from Meadowbank to Livingston. I've a funny feeling there might have been some investment from Sky behind it. But Meadowbank changed their name to Livingston. It's like Wimbledon moving to MK Dons.
At this point this chap would have been well within his rights to class the deal as null and void as Meadowbank were no more. I think most football supporters would have forgiven him if he wanted to divorce his club after that. But he didn't and the story said that he carried on supporting Livingston.

I like that story and next season he'll be watching his team play in The Scottish Premiership. He is the real antithesis of the glory hunter.

I have nothing but contempt for people who support Liverpool or Manu. while having no connection with those cities.
Well I have never lived in Lincoln or any part of Lincolnshire and never will. Yet here I am following Lincoln City. Although for the last few years I haven't been to matches. Previously I travelled all over the country.
So does the does that mean me also. Just interested to know lol .
Incidentally I'm from Bromley in London.

Totally different, I'd say. The choice of Man Utd and Liverpool is almost always based on success and winning every week. What drew you to the Imps?

No problem with me. One I do struggle with, is the number of Manure supporters here in Barnsley. The place is about as "proud Yorkshire" as possible, so following a side from the wrong side of the Penines always puzzles me. Although, it does give me some handy flannel to throw around.
There is a Barnsley-based Manure fan at my place of work, who is dreading a Liverpool win, as his phone will be red-hot :hehe:.

My lad is a Liverpool /Lincoln fan with an interest in Chesterfield, as a resident of 11 years, who knows as much about Lincoln on social media as I do. As a renewed season ticket holder, he'll be at the Bank as often as he can next season, weekend job and studying permitting.

However, I've always lived in South Yorkshire, but by the Grace of God and a large family in Lincoln, my footballing heart has always been at the Bank. In all other respects, I'm a proud Yorkshireman.

There is a Barnsley-based Manure fan at my place of work, who is dreading a Liverpool win, as his phone will be red-hot :hehe:.

My lad is a Liverpool /Lincoln fan with an interest in Chesterfield, as a resident of 11 years, who knows as much about Lincoln on social media as I do. As a renewed season ticket holder, he'll be at the Bank as often as he can next season, weekend job and studying permitting.

However, I've always lived in South Yorkshire, but by the Grace of God and a large family in Lincoln, my footballing heart has always been at the Bank. In all other respects, I'm a proud Yorkshireman.

For me it has only ever been Lincoln. Yes I've been to watch other teams, as I was attending with friends and relatives who supported that team, or because I was in need of just watching a Football League Match, in the days of University. The choice was Fratton Park or The Dell. Well it was never going to be The Scummers I can tell you.

Anyway, I watched Pompey, of whom had a reasonable student rate, as a good friend of mine was a Pompey supporter. I watched them, but I never supported them. Never cheered when they scored, nor grumbled when they lost. I was that typical neutral supporter.

I have never supported a big club. I have never been an armchair plastic. I like to see Man Utd and Liverpool lose - in any competition, as I have always disliked them, can't explain why. I just don't like them. I have a soft spot for Chelsea. As my two Uncles were massive Chelsea fans, from the days of Osgood and the like. Yet, I don't support Chelsea, despite being dragged to many matches, particularly when Kerry Dixon played for them.

No my team has always been Lincoln. They are my local team and the first team I ever saw. I've been there when we've had 1500, I've been there when we've played the RAF in a friendly, I've been there when we've had many full houses. I've been with them, touring the countey from Belle Vue to Maidstone United.

However to be a true fan....you've got to have lived through several poor years with the club ?

For me it has only ever been Lincoln. Yes I've been to watch other teams, as I was attending with friends and relatives who supported that team, or because I was in need of just watching a Football League Match, in the days of University. The choice was Fratton Park or The Dell. Well it was never going to be The Scummers I can tell you.

Anyway, I watched Pompey, of whom had a reasonable student rate, as a good friend of mine was a Pompey supporter. I watched them, but I never supported them. Never cheered when they scored, nor grumbled when they lost. I was that typical neutral supporter.

I have never supported a big club. I have never been an armchair plastic. I like to see Man Utd and Liverpool lose - in any competition, as I have always disliked them, can't explain why. I just don't like them. I have a soft spot for Chelsea. As my two Uncles were massive Chelsea fans, from the days of Osgood and the like. Yet, I don't support Chelsea, despite being dragged to many matches, particularly when Kerry Dixon played for them.

No my team has always been Lincoln. They are my local team and the first team I ever saw. I've been there when we've had 1500, I've been there when we've played the RAF in a friendly, I've been there when we've had many full houses. I've been with them, touring the countey from Belle Vue to Maidstone United.

However to be a true fan....you've got to have lived through several poor years with the club ?

Only several ???

I'd say the Liverpool fans making their sacrifices for 90 minutes in a country 5,000 miles away feel the same for their club as I do about Lincoln City. But given they've never really been crap in living memory, we're better than they are.

Ha.

I have never supported a big club. I have never been an armchair plastic. I like to see Man Utd and Liverpool lose - in any competition, as I have always disliked them, can't explain why.
And I thought it was just me who liked to see Man Utd lose.? I think my dislike was fuelled by the media obsession with all things Man Utd. Especially B*ckham aaargh!!.

Totally different, I'd say. The choice of Man Utd and Liverpool is almost always based on success and winning every week. What drew you to the Imps?

Family connections when i was much younger . early school days . sort of stuck ever since . But you can take the boy out or London , but never London out of the boy , and recent developments mean i travel down to London for my football instead of going to SB. actually cheaper than traveling to LIncoln .

Nice little story . BTW I had the Subbuteo version of the league tables with the clear plastic stickers of subbuteo players in team colours that you move up and down the league tables after checking the Sunday paper. Aaaahh....halcyon days. Now you have auto-calculating tables online :shake: