Things you’ve missed this year | Page 3 | Vital Football

Things you’ve missed this year

After 40 years in the same job my time is up next March. It wIll be a very sad day for me as I’ve enjoyed it immensely and proud of what I have achieved in my own little way. So need a job of some description and somewhere to lay my hat.

Wow thats pretty impressive 40 yrs at the same job

We've just spent a typical summer Saturday afternoon. Walked the dog to the local cricket club. While I went in and bought a bought a pint, and a G&T for Mrs S, she dried off a seat and we settled down to watch the play, It soon started to rain again, she put up her umbrella and we continued to watch until it started hammering down, the players came off and the covers went on. We stood under a tree to finish our drinks, before deciding enough was enough (and I didn't get my second pint). Half an hour later we got home and it had stopped raining

My mother's 75th had to be marked with a phone call rather than anything more significant, but she and my father are staying safe which matters more right now.

2021 has two big family birthdays (mine and my father's), numerous rebooked holidays including the Midnight Sun in Iceland and my friend's wedding in Scotland. And hopefully some trips to the Bank! Looking busy.....

Yesterday we went up to the Lakes, specifically Bowness. Good drive up, parked ok and toilets ok, dawdled and sat by lake having a cuppa, dawdled a bit more and then had our sarnies, just taking our time, enjoying the views of the hills and boats, and letting the dog do some retrieving from the edge of the lake. Then moseyed on up to the Lakeside and town, where it got busier and busier (like a summer weekend) - much more so than I'd expected it to be. We felt quite uncomfortable, with the majority of people seeming not to be bothering about social distancing, and even some bars/restaurants appearing not to be taking it too seriously (despite signs up all round the place); it did seem that the majority of older people were trying, indicting, perhaps, that we are the only group who feel vulnerable and at risk.

I did think about moving on somewhere else, but thought that all low level/easy access places would be just as busy (arthritis in Mrs S's knees means that getting into remote areas and climbing hills and mountains is a thing of the past). Our plan had been to spend the day there and have our tea of fish and chips by the lake, but we felt so uncomfortable that we just decided to leave and come home

Lesson learned there - need to be more careful about finding quieter places, away from "hotspots/honeypots"

We've just joined Durham Wildlife Trust. They have a variety of sites and our first outing was a 30-minute drive to a disused lime-stone quarry that is now managed as a reserve.

Last used in 1930, it's amazing and you almost wouldn't know it was man-made. Rare orchids, lots of butterflies and only about 10 other people around.

I'd recommend considering your local Trust, Stokeimp, if there is one. You might find some quieter spots that way. £3 a month up here!

Yesterday we went up to the Lakes, specifically Bowness. Good drive up, parked ok and toilets ok, dawdled and sat by lake having a cuppa, dawdled a bit more and then had our sarnies, just taking our time, enjoying the views of the hills and boats, and letting the dog do some retrieving from the edge of the lake. Then moseyed on up to the Lakeside and town, where it got busier and busier (like a summer weekend) - much more so than I'd expected it to be. We felt quite uncomfortable, with the majority of people seeming not to be bothering about social distancing, and even some bars/restaurants appearing not to be taking it too seriously (despite signs up all round the place); it did seem that the majority of older people were trying, indicting, perhaps, that we are the only group who feel vulnerable and at risk.

I did think about moving on somewhere else, but thought that all low level/easy access places would be just as busy (arthritis in Mrs S's knees means that getting into remote areas and climbing hills and mountains is a thing of the past). Our plan had been to spend the day there and have our tea of fish and chips by the lake, but we felt so uncomfortable that we just decided to leave and come home

Lesson learned there - need to be more careful about finding quieter places, away from "hotspots/honeypots"

I went to Hawkshead last week, very quiet (not empty but quiet) plenty of seats outside of "ye olde tea shoppes" for a cuppa. My partner said she's never seen it so quiet in the summer (perhaps driven by the lack of Japanese and Chinese tourists who swarm the place looking for Beatrix Potter?)

We ate at The Farmers inn at Ulverston once and they took it all very seriously, temperature check before we went in, reduced tables for more space and all staff wearing visors or masks.

I went to Hawkshead last week, very quiet (not empty but quiet) plenty of seats outside of "ye olde tea shoppes" for a cuppa. My partner said she's never seen it so quiet in the summer (perhaps driven by the lack of Japanese and Chinese tourists who swarm the place looking for Beatrix Potter?)

We ate at The Farmers inn at Ulverston once and they took it all very seriously, temperature check before we went in, reduced tables for more space and all staff wearing visors or masks.

My plan had originally been to go last week or week before, and avoid the school hols, but weather and a couple of other commitments put us off, and maybe that was a factor. But interesting that it was quieter there

We've just joined Durham Wildlife Trust. They have a variety of sites and our first outing was a 30-minute drive to a disused lime-stone quarry that is now managed as a reserve.

Last used in 1930, it's amazing and you almost wouldn't know it was man-made. Rare orchids, lots of butterflies and only about 10 other people around.

I'd recommend considering your local Trust, Stokeimp, if there is one. You might find some quieter spots that way. £3 a month up here!

Yes, we're members of ours (Staffs), and one of the reserves is only a 10-15 minute walk away. Have to say we don't do bad here for local outdoor places to visit, and going to the Lakes was partly about getting back to going further afield and seeing something a bit more spectacular, like going to the coast. The Peak is good to get into but again, many spots tend to get busier these days, and the groundbirds nesting season puts the mockers on going out in open countryside with the dog - but that ends this month, but hot weather then also difficult with dog

I sound like an old grouch, but I look forward to cold and bad weather because it keeps the numbers of people down!

Yes, we're members of ours (Staffs), and one of the reserves is only a 10-15 minute walk away. Have to say we don't do bad here for local outdoor places to visit, and going to the Lakes was partly about getting back to going further afield and seeing something a bit more spectacular, like going to the coast. The Peak is good to get into but again, many spots tend to get busier these days, and the groundbirds nesting season puts the mockers on going out in open countryside with the dog - but that ends this month, but hot weather then also difficult with dog

I sound like an old grouch, but I look forward to cold and bad weather because it keeps the numbers of people down!

Oh, I get the whole no-people thing! As Bill Hicks said: viruses with shoes. ;)

I mean if I go out I run the risk of bumping into the likes of Hully and Norfolkimp. ;)

I don't know if I have mentioned this yet, but the T20 at Notts. I have only attended one cricket match in my life and it was a T20 at Trent Bridge. Can't wait to go back.

Family is, of course, top of the list.

After sacrificing so bloody much since this hell started, I just had to get this close to my niece.

Echo that with a cherry on top.

We had a family weekend planned here with sons and girlfriends, first since New Year, but with the Manchester re-lockdown that's had to be modified, one couple here and an outside day tomorrow, including a pub , but not in anyone's home. Not ideal but we get to see everyone.

It's frustrating not having time with younger members of family, it's the impact on time with older family who have limited time left which really hurts.

Yeah, I know, would love to settle in the Netherlands.

If i had the money, i wouldn't mind moving to Luxembourg.
Or also to Liechtenstein. Basically any little country beginning with 'L'.

Which reminds me of our trip to Liechtenstein (to see Scotland take on the mighty Alpine nation), and one Scotland fan by us got a text off his mate asking where was everyone. He couldn't see any of the Tartan Army anywhere. After a couple more texts back and forth it emerged he'd travelled to Luxembourg instead!

Hard to say what I've missed.
I would have expected to say football football football.

Hardly a week has gone by in my life over last 30 years and more that I haven't been at a match somewhere, setting off often early Sat mornings for long days out or midweek trips or longer trips to Scotland for several games.

Yet no games, no travelling, no butties made, no map reading, no crossing borders, no cheering on the Imps home and away, no visiting new grounds in weird little places, no hurling abuse at referees, no filling in results when I get home, nothing at all for five whole months now and counting.

But I haven't missed it, none of it. I really don't understand. In fact I'm totally baffled. Always heard how hard smokers find it hard to give up and drug addicts and so on, so thought I could never ever cope without football. But somehow I have.

And then comes going back one day. When, how, I don't know.