Things to do in York | Vital Football

Things to do in York

Barney2004

Vital 1st Team Regular
Went to York in Feb last year and only managed to go into the minster and a shittly little ghost house. Looking to go back at some point next year... I've heard its a great place and from what i've seen of it it's alright.

Has anyone been there? and what would you reccommend to do?

1.Do the Wall Walk. It takes a few hours but it's worth it for the views and the sense of history.
2.Do a cathedral tour. Fascinating stuff
3. Go on the 'Ghost Walk' or the 'Viking' tour
4. Come home

done the minster/Cathedral mate and even paid to nearly kill myself to go up the tower. One of the best buildings ive seen.... defo want to do a ghost walk as ive been told they are great, and anything would be better than the shitty little ghost house we all went into. Each room had a tape recorder telling a story... worst £15 ive ever spent!!

theres a pub there called the Golden Fleece.... ever been in? That place didnt feel right at all!!

i believe most haunted have viseted there too...

i dont think the people im going with will be interested in horse racing mate... though i could try and arrange it for when york city are at home and visit their ground ;)

Take a trip down the Shambles
Visit the Jorvik centre
Don't bother with the York Dungeons.
Go shopping in the many boutiques and upmarket shops.

But to be honest there is a lot to see in York but not all that much to do. If you like architecture and Castles you will find plenty to fill your time.

You have a Train museum which is excellent value: It's free and a good afternoon their.

Also the Castle Museum which was always excellent value. That is down by Clifford Tower. It is a museum of the past: For example old worldly shops and cobbled streets in 1 area. Old type police cells, how homes used to be and all that sort of stuff.

You have the Yvorvick Museum in Coppergate Centre. Then you have York dungeons on Clifford Street which was always good.

I live in York Barney so know enough about the place. Oh and if your lot are into tearooms you have to go to Betty Tearooms. Very posh the place to be seen and costs a packet with long queues usually to go in their. Only used by visitors usually.

You have Museum gardens with a Museum in and an old graveyard too. Then there are the river trips also.

The Cathedral by night is amazing. But I would recommend you plan to see it, rather than falling asleep on a train and ending up there wondering how you might get back to Brum :37:

If I was in York my plan of action would be:
1) Leave York

I joke, of course. York seems like a nice place I went there for a few days for a school trip in year 6. The train museum, the york minster, the Viking museum, the shambles - although from what I remember all the shops in the shambles were tacky touristy places.

There is a chocolate factory tour as well that's not far from the Minster. York is a very historical place and it does trade very well off its history. If you're in car, and you're up this way for the full weekend, you could always drive out towards Scarborough on the A64. If you have an English Heritage membership pass there are some free places to visit as well as Castle Howard (which isn't free but with English Heritage membership you get a discount on the admission price). And if you like American Diners then Hickory's American Diner is brilliant (its en route to Castle Howard from York).

Pride of Lions - 21/11/2013 21:15

Bootham Crescent. Do York City still play there?

Perhaps I should take this to the red bull post POL :17:

They now play at *drum* *roll* KitKat Crescent. Yes Rowntrees are sponsoring and well what more can I say :10:

kefkat - 21/11/2013 23:12

Pride of Lions - 21/11/2013 21:15

Bootham Crescent. Do York City still play there?

Perhaps I should take this to the red bull post POL :17:

They now play at *drum* *roll* KitKat Crescent. Yes Rowntrees are sponsoring and well what more can I say :10:

That deal has expired so its gone back to its original name. What a horrible name for a football ground, fortunately for them there only in league 2 so no one noticed the highly embarrassing name

Looking at the local York statistics and ''in things'' to do there i am amazed at what they get upo in that York, you could going on the locals :-

Rape, Murder, pinch a car, fight, kick cats, score drugs, kick more cats, incest, and enter the York cat kicking contest,

So much to se and do all these things whilst enjoyinggreat views apparently :10: :10: :10: :10:

Looking at the local York statistics and ''in things'' to do there i am amazed at what they get upo in that York, you could going on the locals :-

Rape, Murder, pinch a car, fight, kick cats, score drugs, kick more cats, incest, and enter the York cat kicking contest,

So much to se and do all these things whilst enjoyinggreat views apparently :10: :10: :10: :10:

ClivetheVillan - 22/11/2013 00:55

And the accents are terrible

gator - 22/11/2013 19:16

ClivetheVillan - 22/11/2013 00:55

And the accents are terrible

Mine isn't: Then I wasn't born their Ha :17: