Things just.... | Vital Football

Things just....

billytwodogs

Vital Squad Member
....go from bad to worse, we’re now just four points off fifth bottom, where we could realistically end up. We’re just not adapting to this league, we’re thinking and acting like a league club which we ain’t any more.

This season is done and dusted but if we continue in the same vein next term we’ll end up as this leagues perennial strugglers.

What’s the solution to stopping the rot?

It’s not necessarily additions it’s more subtractions, getting rid of the dross that forms the [current] midfield.
I mentioned Jeffrey a couple of games ago, Osborne did something similar today. He was instrumental in everything that went on in the first half, a half in which we could easily have been 4-0 down if not for the heroics of Loach, (i think the man of the match was awarded by halftime).

That’s the type of player we need to move us forward otherwise with the same old it will end up same old same old. Hopefully a change of midfield will bring a change of fortunes. Maintaining the status quo will bring similar results, we need to move people on and keep it simple.

:red:

I can't argue with your assessment Billy2, but for me the problem goes deeper than the midfield alone.
Yesterday, as with many games this season and last, when we do start to have good possession in midfield there is no threat up front. Defensively we are too easily bullied by physically aggressive players. Deadball situations are a waste as the delivery is pathetic and few seem willing to attack the ball in the box, or know what to expect from the taker of the kick!
Tactically we are naïve, teams come to Pools knowing we don't do gamesmanship yet they will use every trick known to man to eke out an advantage! Referees in the league are unsure, or inept, and as with all other teams you have to take advantage of this.

I don't like the idea, but Pools are destined to become National League stalwarts for years to come. Unless, and until, we truly adapt to the robust and dishonest form of the game which is now the norm throughout the lower leagues.

This post just sums up our season OP, but if you [and I and many others] can see it from the terraces how come it’s so camouflaged from the touch line?
Not only are we not doing enough in the ninety on Saturday it’s also calling into question what we are doing [or failing to do] during the week.

Not sure if it was Shanks or Cloughy who said it’s a simple game complicated by those who should know better, and that basically sums up football particularly at this level.

Let’s not over complicate things. We seem to be doing with Donaldson what we did to Sweeney years ago. We’re trying to make him fit into a host of different positions and formations when he is only good going forward from the right wing position, anywhere else and he’s as good as a man off, we might as well play with ten men. Similarly Noble and Featherstone the same player almost, play one or the other playing them both looks again like we’re playing with ten men.

The defence, three centre halfs and a right back [or 4 centre half’s if you class Kioso as a centre half] let’s try something really radical and play a left back as a left back. Poor Kitching doesn’t know whether his @r$e is punched or bored when asked to play wing back he gets to the half way line and panics as he is caught between attacking and defending. As a footballer at this level when you are faced with two decisions you always opt for the wrong one, see the hospital balls or short or even over hit passes made by two of the midfield mentioned earlier.

The lack of midfield is making the forwards look poor, what service has Kabamba had recently? James will run all day but maybe the strikers role is not for him in this set up. Maybe get him running at the defenders from the right.

We’ve got the right back covered, the centre backs covered, we need a left back, we haven’t used Amos as we should have.

Midfield looks like Bale, Hawkes, Molyneux and James, I don’t dislike Featherstone but he needs to be in a winning side. We need a centre forward, if Nicke goes elsewhere. Let’s try and keep him and support him with Rigg, who may only get 1 in 5 but that set up should be creating chances all over.

We’ve carried a losing mentality for too long now it needs to change, Hignett will take us forward and I think Sweens can help, not too sure about the others.

Currently we’re one position below where we finished last season and four points off last seasons final tally but we have four games left so should finish on more points and a higher position than last term but that’s not much progress in two seasons, if we manage to get those four points that is. It’s going to be an interesting run in but not as interesting as the retained/released list.

It will be interesting to see if Bale and Holohanan get any game time today against the Shots.
Not too sure about Amos, has skill going forward but seems a bit lightweight.

Hignett’s already said he’s not going to experiment with the match day squad so really all we can expect is similar results. If the eleven [and the tactics] are staying the same surely the outcome will be the same?

We still need 4pts to better last seasons total. Think we’ll draw both Easter fixtures.

I doubt we'll manage to equal last season's points total! Will be surprised if we manage another point from the remaining games. It is noticeable that the recent drop off in results has coincided with Hawkes injury absence.

There is, and has been for several seasons, an urgent need to change the mindset within the squad / club. This can only be achieved by removing those who are content with the status quo.

Last edited: