Thierry Henry has agreed to become Aston Villa manager | Page 2 | Vital Football

Thierry Henry has agreed to become Aston Villa manager

We are assuming that SB is getting the heave ho, but he may want to stand down after the year he has had in his private life. He might be doing the decent thing and holding the Fort until the new manager is in place and maybe move upstairs in a mentor role. He could earn some serious money as a pundit and not have the stress.
He will always have my respect for bringing our slumbering giant back to life and give us something to cheer about.
Let's see what we can do in the next few weeks.

Some good points made CBB. Perhaps due to his famous black book of contacts, he may have a less stressful role given to him at Villa Park?

He certainly doesn't look that well to me?

As with everything, time will give us the answers so we have to be patient.

Hmmmm. Is it true for starters? If it is it will create a buzz but it would depend a lot on the support team he would bring.

This would seem madness?

But if it happens I’m sure we will convince ourselves he’s the next Ron Saunders.

I do think the new owners are gonna want to make a mark so it wouldn’t surprise me.

Hmmmm. Is it true for starters? If it is it will create a buzz but it would depend a lot on the support team he would bring.

Exactly this. SB doesn't do everything and doesn't get involved with coaching (so people on here tell us). It is about organisation, the vision and the support staff he has to implement the vision.

The key to being a successful manager in any walk of life, is having good people around you, managing personalities and good organisational skills.

Whilst I'd not be in favour of Henry coming in what I will say Is that at no point have I ever gotten the impression he's not a pretty intelligent guy, both from interviews and his punditry. Presumably there's plenty of clubs around Europe he could have gone to but if he is coming here then that means these guys who have bought us have serious plans that have impressed him. I still would prefer someone with some management experience but should be arrive he'll have my backing.

Bruce helped turn the club around and I'm sure we are all grateful.

Bruce = a stay in the championship
Henry = a chance of getting up and more expansive football. He wouldn't stand for the languid style of play usually served up. Can you imagine what he could add to Jack's play? Would he stand for any of our midfield combo taking forever to drive play forward?

Would be sad to see Bruce go, he’s done well to turn us around after taking over the mess he inherited from RDM. Almost but not quite last season but that play off final was poor. Yo can talk about experience etc but had anyone heard of pochettino before Southampton? Santo before wolves? Derby have just taken a similar gamble with Lampard. Henry could be the next best manager in football but we just don’t know it yet, they have to start somewhere.

Poch had spent 3 years at Espanyol and Santo had managed both Valencia and Porto before coming to England. There's a pretty big difference with their experience and Henry's

Interesting hearing thetrees on twitter say Henry will only come along with Bould as his assistant if Wenger joins as DoF!! Just imagine WOW

yes, that might do ! lol

I do like the fact he has managed the Arsenal youth team, it appears our new guys want to build around the youth system.

I guess the people who want Bruce out will be over the moon with this development, but it is a massive gamble no question. Just because he was a top player doesnt mean he will automatically become a top manager. There have been countless examples over the years - Gary Neville, Zola, Tony Adams, Shearer off the top of my head. All of them were touted as having the right credentials to make a great manager and all flopped.
If he does get the job I would back him 100% but if we need to change I'd rather someone who has at least managed for a few years somewhere else.

The only place I've seen this is the daily star website so forgive me for doubting it somewhat. I'll wait for a more legitimate source.

It's on twitter JW... you don't get more legit than that do you!??!?!

We have no idea what Thierry Henry’s “ style of football “ is from a management perspective.

Just because he was a sublime footballer, doesn’t mean he can get us to play like that.

Just because he is young and new to Management people then assume he is visionary.

It's about villa moving forward and integration of younger players for me. Santos at wolves had zero championship experience and neither had half his team, they pissed the league from start to finish.

Reactions: wal
It's about villa moving forward and integration of younger players for me. Santos at wolves had zero championship experience and neither had half his team, they pissed the league from start to finish.
Well apart from when Dads Army battered them 4-1

At the moment it's speculation. If true then I doubt Henry is here to juggle FFP and sell our best players. It would suggest a throwing the money at it approach with an ill experienced manager at a lower league level he is unfamiliar with.

Plus points of a Henry appointment.
  • Big name, attract attention in sponsorships and TV coverage.
  • Assumed attractive style of play.
  • May attract talent from international sources.
  • Errrr! ? Would look handsome in training kit.
If they stick with Bruce
  • Players know him and would be a settled squad
  • Experience, been there and done it number of times.
  • Works well with loan signings and bargain buys when has to.
  • Would of learnt a lot from last season and knows this would be his final crack at villa.
  • Cheaper option.
It appears this decision may tell us what new owners intentions are to FFP. If they stick with Bruce they abide by it, If Henry, id suggest it's all in and sod FFP.

I do like the fact he has managed the Arsenal youth team, it appears our new guys want to build around the youth system.

He had a stint with their U16s
Wenger blocked him 'managing' their U18s because he wanted to keep his gig on Sky apparently
Bizarre but then what is with billionaires when thinking wo'd be a good manager for us that their brains go to absolute shit
ho hum

Would hope Bruce gets a run at least till Christmas, we all would like to
See expansive all out attacking football but the Championship is where results have to be ground out occasionally. I am concerned that the press appear to be in the know about Henry agreeing to be our new manager who has leaked that! how disrespectful to Bruce if true, He came in from the shambles of our relegation season with a lot of players taking the piss, then the R D Mateo failure and steadied the ship. Last season he was missing the main link a week before season started & most of season in Grealish. We all know Henry hasn't managerial experience I would have preferred Bilich for what he did at W Ham but I suppose whoever is manager this season they will get the support of us all. until results drop!!!

I know poch and Santo had managed before coming to England, my point is no one had really heard of them so therefore the clubs concerned were taking a punt on them. We’d be very much taking a punt on Henry, a punt I’d be happy to take as you never know, it could work out fantastically. Bruce pretty much had the pick of the best championship players with us having money to spend and being one of, if not the biggest team in the championship. He failed at the final hurdle but tbh he failed before that when we went 2nd then went to pot after. Overall I’ve liked him and would be happy for him to stay but also I’d be happy for us to take a gamble, nothing ventured, nothing gained.