They're at it again | Page 34 | Vital Football

They're at it again

Yep I agree, but a lot seem to think it important - I just put a strategy down for how that might happen, eventually, with no immediate massive cost.

To be honest, all we need is the super veto, and sensible parameters for its use, but the knock-on of that is that you would need some sort of fans' organisation to wield it effectively. That I imagine would involved membership, which often involves money, which then raises the question, 'what do you do with it'?

Buying out the owner or gaining a fans' share of the club would seem to be the obvious answer.
Does a super veto veto a veto?

Hello. New here. Well sort of.

Nationalisation is a no-go. I understand the 'community' argument but how perverse would it seem for a country to pay for a national football service when it can't properly fund a national health service, or even operate a national rail service?

Instant transfer of ownership to fans is unfeasible due to immediate expense. Just not going to happen. Instead, we need to play a long game, with a defined goal, and it would come in two parts.

1/ One piece of legislation passed to insist by law that all member clubs of the Premier League, Football League and National Leagues provide fans with an executive 'super veto' on matters of significance to the future of the club (I confess I've not thought about how these would be defined - but 'break away from English football and **** you buddy' would definitely be one of them).

2/ This super veto is backed by a one-person-one-vote fans forum, membership of which is open to any adult fan who pays a fee of say £10-£25 a season, and automatic for season ticket holders (with price increase included in ticket and ring-fenced for the next step). That fans forum votes on the use of the super veto should an issue arise.

Every year, the proceeds from forum membership are placed in an investment trust with the view to eventually buying a stake in the club, while the super veto keeps dodgy owners in line.

As an example, if 4,000 Lincoln City fans join the forum at £25 a season, the trust would contain £1 million (minus costs) in less than a decade. Not that we need to buy our club or save it - it's in the most competent hands I've seen in 40 years as a supporter.

Couldn't LCFC do this without the EFL or anyone else? The idea needs fleshing out, but if we want to bring fans in as a model for sustainability and fan ownership I'd love to see us do something that doesn't need the blessing of any EFL bigwigs that don't have LCFC interests at heart.

Couldn't LCFC do this without the EFL or anyone else? The idea needs fleshing out, but if we want to bring fans in as a model for sustainability and fan ownership I'd love to see us do something that doesn't need the blessing of any EFL bigwigs that don't have LCFC interests at heart.

It's not really about the ownership model at our level or one club, it's about changing the model across the board and particularly for those top level clubs.

It's not really about the ownership model at our level or one club, it's about changing the model across the board and particularly for those top level clubs.

At our level and lower: Grimsby, Bury, Scunthorpe, Swindon, Blackpool, Oldham, Wigan, Bolton etc

You'd need national legislation and/or an FA/EFL rule for an executive veto to become the standard model, but there's nothing stopping individual clubs offering it. I'd say however that the clubs that did it unilaterally would probably be those that don't really need it.

And yes, there's nothing stopping a fans group separately creating an investment fund. Whether enough join when it doesn't have an immediate influence is another matter though - £250 over ten years isn't that much but ten years is a long time to wait for something and many people's personal finances don't stretch beyond the immediate horizon.

I get that a single action by LCFC won't change the power structure in place across the pyramid, but if it is the right thing to do let's do it anyway. And while we are fortunate to have a board in place that is supportive now, it protects the club down the line when maybe things could look different.

Apologies if this has been posted before but I just saw it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56931186

All this means is that their influence moves out of the formal committee meetings and into the informal martini lunches. Absolutely no punishment at all. There needs to be significant and more decisive action. I would relegate the 6 and shuffle the rest of the EFL accordingly. Second option would be a significant points reduction for next season, no less than 20. I am sure the powers that be in the PL are on top of this ready to act decisively.....well maybe not. We shall see.

Nice to see the demo at Old Trafford was mostly peaceful. When people have a well supported and genuinely popular cause why are there so many dick heads that just have to go and attract unnecessary negative attention to it.

Hint - You're winning the argument guys, why do you need to start a fight.

Nice to see the demo at Old Trafford was mostly peaceful. When people have a well supported and genuinely popular cause why are there so many dick heads that just have to go and attract unnecessary negative attention to it.

Hint - You're winning the argument guys, why do you need to start a fight.

Exactly this ... protesting about their owners, yet singing "Oil Shitty fcuk off home" as they smashed a door down and broke in.

From the bloke in the pantomime zebra pants, the kid swinging on the goal post (Tartan Army style) taking a selfie, to the guy chucking the Sky Sports Manfrotto tripod on the pitch ..... yeah that'll show em' :grinning:

I saw on the news a story about Harry Kane sponsoring Orient shirts, as that was where he played on loan , and putting a charity on them.
I mention this to balance that there are people in the Premier League who are respectful of the pyramid.