Therapy - Lack of Imps Games | Vital Football

Therapy - Lack of Imps Games

collingham imps

Vital Squad Member
As par of a therapeutic programme to combat the lack of Imps games, mate and me going to watch Forest v Cardiff today - will report on the experience and the distances we will have to travel to achieve a Championship ambition.

Just not the same without the Imps playing. Just watched the Owls beat Charlton. Probably watch Pompey v Altringham in a min, more for background ambience...

Great atmosphere with 28,000 + crowd; Cardiff's first half and Forest's second but they couldn't score and Cardiff won it with a great strike early in the first half and defended well - Junior Hollett was a threat for Cardiff all game; we have a lot to do to match this quality, in fact we haven't seen anything this year in League 1 and we have seen most games to match this quality - and by the way Tyler Walker is a long way off this level.

I am reading Bob Paisley's biography. It mentions that Shankley and Bob travelled to watch a keeper at Lincoln in the late 60s. I wonder who it was? Was it the Lincoln keeper?

I am reading Bob Paisley's biography. It mentions that Shankley and Bob travelled to watch a keeper at Lincoln in the late 60s. I wonder who it was? Was it the Lincoln keeper?
It might have been the warden up at the prison. Renowned for been one of the best keepers in the area

Great atmosphere with 28,000 + crowd; Cardiff's first half and Forest's second but they couldn't score and Cardiff won it with a great strike early in the first half and defended well - Junior Hollett was a threat for Cardiff all game; we have a lot to do to match this quality, in fact we haven't seen anything this year in League 1 and we have seen most games to match this quality - and by the way Tyler Walker is a long way off this level.

The championship is now Premier league lite
far too much money being thrown around
Not for us which is a sad indictment on football today that we are potentially at our top of the football league journey
Didn’t realise until today that Sheffield United spent 6 years in the bounce in this league until 2017
League 1 is our limits unless we become heavily financed
Uti

The championship is now Premier league lite
far too much money being thrown around
Not for us which is a sad indictment on football today that we are potentially at our top of the football league journey
Didn’t realise until today that Sheffield United spent 6 years in the bounce in this league until 2017
League 1 is our limits unless we become heavily financed
Uti

While in essence you are probably right on a long term basis, it's certainly not impossible to get into the Championship. Wycombe are in a promotion place without massive finance and I don't honestly think the standard in L1 is that great.
Get ourselves established in L1 and in years to come I don't think another promotion is a total pipe dream.

Staying there might be harder but it would be a nice worry to have.
Takes a while to get back to National League from there.

I'd be happy to stay in L1 for a (short) while, but I'd like to see us in the Championship errrm before I'm dead....:grinning:
Staying in L1 is the immediate problem.
Yep, I've been telling all the Barnsley fans at work that I'm looking forward to a short bus ride to a game rather than a 60 mile drive, adding in that I hope we can keep our end of the deal! Think we will, but it doesn't currently look as comfortable as it might have been.

L1 seems a big step in quality from L2 to me, assume Championship would be even bigger jump

Every jump up the leagues if difficult I suppose, not only do you play alongside the best teams from the league you've just left, as they travel upwards. You also play the teams from above good enough to be in that league, some well established, and then to compound it, the poorer teams from two divisions above who've been relegated. It's damned hard.
I'll be chuffed to bits if we manage to stay up, never mind the early talk of promotion.
It looks like we got the early euphoria attached to promoted teams who generally do well in their first few games, then reality kicks in.
DC and NC obviously did marvellous things, within a budget, and MApp will be doing the same. Unless one of us wins the Euro lottery it will be a long drawn out process to climb much higher. IMO of course.

Unless one of us wins the Euro lottery it will be a long drawn out process to climb much higher. IMO of course.

Even if one of us did do that and decided to invest it would still be difficult. There are a few people who have won the lottery and invested in the particular club they support without much success.
It depends on what you want. Winning millions of pounds and investing some of it in your club will definitely help but there has to be sustainability in the investment.
Money is what the game is (unfortunately) all about now for owners and players.
Getting to the Championship and staying there would be very difficult for us without further very significant investment to establish ourselves as a Championship team. Yes the stars may all align one day and we could get promoted and have our season in the sun but I doubt we could establish ourselves in the Championship without huge amounts of money being put in.
We are going past the stage of where millionaires own clubs even in the Championship. If you want to be a top end Championship club and get promoted and establish yourself in the Premier League you need a billionaire in there now.
Millionairs, billionaires, may not sound any different but if you equate that a million seconds equals 11.5 days but a billion seconds equals 31.5 years that goes some way to putting into your head the difference between having a millionaire or billionaire at the helm of your club.

Not sure things have changed much. Big City clubs with big attendances had the financial clout to buy success in days gone by. Now they have Sky money and also require a billionaire owner.

In some ways that makes it easier for us. We can compete with the big clubs once the billionaire comes aboard without needing to have 50,000 attendances!!

Even if one of us did do that and decided to invest it would still be difficult. There are a few people who have won the lottery and invested in the particular club they support without much success.
It depends on what you want. Winning millions of pounds and investing some of it in your club will definitely help but there has to be sustainability in the investment.
Money is what the game is (unfortunately) all about now for owners and players.
Getting to the Championship and staying there would be very difficult for us without further very significant investment to establish ourselves as a Championship team. Yes the stars may all align one day and we could get promoted and have our season in the sun but I doubt we could establish ourselves in the Championship without huge amounts of money being put in.
We are going past the stage of where millionaires own clubs even in the Championship. If you want to be a top end Championship club and get promoted and establish yourself in the Premier League you need a billionaire in there now.
Millionairs, billionaires, may not sound any different but if you equate that a million seconds equals 11.5 days but a billion seconds equals 31.5 years that goes some way to putting into your head the difference between having a millionaire or billionaire at the helm of your club.

Then we need to find a billionaire, and make him an offer he can't refuse. :grinning:

I think it's been mentioned before, Clive should grab that Dyson bloke, we'd clean up. Have there been any sightings of Clive's wallet recently? :grinning: