The World Cup Thread | Page 37 | Vital Football

The World Cup Thread

The Poles were tough opponents and if Phillips could get booked for accidentally treading on an opponent’s foot, I dread to think what would have happened if an England player had put in a real crunching, full of passion tackle to show his commitment. The referee missed or ignored some obvious fouls. Grealish did a lot of moaning, just like he did when he played for us but some of his complaints were justified. It was really bad form of the Poles for failing to roll over and give us an easy game. I agree about Sterling. Either he isn’t aware of other players or he just ignores them and goes for glory.
The failure to use substitutes to see out the game and the chess like, slow build ups that Southgate prefers are what I would criticise most.
As for not caring, I want England teams to win everything from football, rugby and cricket to tiddlywinks and conkers.

Good point about the tackles Ironside, I know refs have been told to be more lenient this season but it seems the game is slowly drifting towards being a none contact sport and played like an exhibition match. Maybe it's just my age or looking back through rose tinted specs but the game was far more exciting (and even) back in the day. Now it seems slightly sterile. As a fan of both Villa and England that passion from myself is still there but its being slowly sucked out of the game itself.
Obviously just my take on things but I guess I'm just old fashioned and sentimental.

For myself, personally, I think the main missing ingredient is passion. We have an automaton running a team of automatons. Where's the unexpected bit of skill that turns a game on its head? Or the crunching tackle that gets the crowd and players fired up? Poland are getting knocked for their robustness but wouldn't we like to see that sort of fire and brimstone from our players?
Instead we get sour faced Beaky on the sidelines politely clapping a goal...who you fooling fella? You're shitting yourself that you're a couple of poor results from losing your cushy job and ending up in the Steve McClaren school of obscurity.
But we'll plod along, getting to tournaments and getting to the later stages before coming undone against the 1st decent team we play and it'll be the same old " plucky England " stories being rolled out.
I'd rather have a manager who knows how to motivate and innovate AND win than one who is afraid to lose.
Rant over (until the next international break anyhow)

Trouble is its all political for England. Only Yes men are allowed in charge and it produces other boring and dull yes men.

We're also a bunch of spoilt expectant brats. We're like the Man City of international football - plastic and arrogant.... albeit not as good.

For myself, personally, I think the main missing ingredient is passion. We have an automaton running a team of automatons. Where's the unexpected bit of skill that turns a game on its head? Or the crunching tackle that gets the crowd and players fired up? Poland are getting knocked for their robustness but wouldn't we like to see that sort of fire and brimstone from our players?

Personally always felt English players, in general, have lacked passion in my lifetime of watching them. Granted I wouldn't watch too many games but in the big matches, I feel the level is rarely raised. The players just don't seem as proud to play for their country and maybe its just a larger nation thing. The French, Dutch and until recently the Spanish always looked apathetic to me too.

Personally always felt English players, in general, have lacked passion in my lifetime of watching them. Granted I wouldn't watch too many games but in the big matches, I feel the level is rarely raised. The players just don't seem as proud to play for their country and maybe its just a larger nation thing. The French, Dutch and until recently the Spanish always looked apathetic to me too.

I haven’t seen an England team play with any kind of freedom or fluidity in years - probably since ‘96. I feel like the level of risk taking has been culturally beaten out of the players, if you look at a midfielder or defender for England they’ll make 50-60 passes in a game with a high percentage success rate, because they don’t want to lose possession or give the ball away.

It’s like a process to win a game, rather than any creative freedom. Qualifying games is fine, no one will remember the wins, draws and losses once you have qualified, but we never seem to go into a tournament with a scary reputation or momentum.

If you at the Sven teams, the Capello teams, the Hodgson teams, or now a Southgate side, it’s all a bit of a much of muchness in terms of entertainment and allowance to play. Now we don’t want a other McLaren who can’t even qualify, but we have the greatest numbers of attacking talent in the world in my opinion, and yet we can’t put second rate nations to bed that convincingly if at all.

poland came out like gladiators and tried to muscle their way through, kicking everything in front of them including the ball, no way to play football, hopefully they dont qualify. the ref was to timid, they must of scared the harse off him..seanie

I agree with you some extent CDX but I think that attitude also extends to the English fans. Generally, and contradict me if you disagree, but Irish, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish fans seem to back their team no matter what. They seem to have more pride in supporting their country through thick and thin than the English. We, on the other hand, have a team who, compared to the last 20 or 30 years are achieving a measure of success not seen for decades but still some English are unhappy that our team is not wiping the floor with all opposition.

Last edited:
The most hardcore England fans are generally those from the lower leagues as they get a chance to follow a side overseas, just look at all the flags around the stadium you see form random towns and places whom aren’t a big footballing name. The other home nations don’t have clubs in Europe (of any scale), so the nation getting two weeks in Eastern Europe is a great excuse for a piss up with the boys.

You never see a Sky 6 club imprinted on the Union Jack as they get their fair share of European football if they want it, rarely do you see some other big clubs such as Everton or Newcastle. I do see quite a few Villa flags however along with the other big Midlands sides - probably more wolves ones than Villa but close. When I’ve been away with England, always seem to be loads of Sheffield Wednesday fans.

You obviously are one of those who are best placed to comment dv2. I know blokes who follow England everywhere. If I seem to be a bit critical of England fans I don’t include the genuinely committed. I can’t understand those who are not interested in the national team. No doubt they have their own reasons but, as I’ve said earlier, If England were playing tiddlywinks I’d be interested.

I agree with you some extent CDX but I think that attitude also extends to the English fans. Generally, and contradict me if you disagree, but Irish, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish fans seem to back their team no matter what. They seem to have more pride in supporting their country through thick and thin than the English. We, on the other hand, have a team who, compared to the last 20 or 30 years are achieving a measure of success not seen for decades but still some English are unhappy that our team is not wiping the floor with all opposition.

I'm guessing it's more to with expectations rather than anything else. The minimum expectation of England is what? Win the tournament? Or at the very least semi-finals?

For Ireland, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland just qualifying for a tournament is party time. Ireland right now are probably the worst out of the lot, and have no hope of qualifying, but the other night at home to Serbia the crowd were right behind them and the place went nuts when the late equalizer went in. It was quite heartwarming really, as things have never been as bad.

It seems in a massive surprise to everyone - that all those 'banned' players who followed their club instructions are now 'free' to play this weekend.

ho hum

It seems in a massive surprise to everyone - that all those 'banned' players who followed their club instructions are now 'free' to play this weekend.

ho hum
Whilst our lads are on the last night of their all inclusive jolly in Croatia . What a farce.

ho hum

So the only ones who have actually suffered any negative consequences are us and Spurs. The 2 clubs that complied with the rules of the sports governing body. Makes perfect sense.

So the only ones who have actually suffered any negative consequences are us and Spurs. The 2 clubs that complied with the rules of the sports governing body. Makes perfect sense.
Spurs didn't allow the players to go they just went anyway

well the fa's of the countries withdrew their complaints so I guess no rules were broken.
Just the teams who's players aren't arsed about club instructions impacted - still water under the bridge and all that so if we win without them this week no bother

Last edited: