The World Cup Thread | Page 36 | Vital Football

The World Cup Thread

All the attacking talent in the world, yet we play two defensive players in midfield who sit on the toes of the centre backs, a centre forward who spends half the game at right back, a ponce who’s supposed to be a left forward but who still plays like he’s trying to carry a Villa team in the championship winning the number of touches award, and Mount - who I have defended as a good player from when I’ve seen him play in the flesh - who just doesn’t seem to produce a goal or assist stat in the more challenging games.

and the greedy Sterling can't leave him out

I do find it quite amusing how many people on here hate the England national team, wouldn't give Southgate the time of day and hope we lose every game we play in, and yet spent the evening watching, erm, England in a World Cup qualifier.

Yes , but at least the slagging off of England is a welcome relief to read after the 10 days of tantrums over Emi 1 and Emi 2 we have just had.

Now the no7 is at City this is his go-to team and he doesn't even trust the subs.
Fair result I think both teams were happy with a 0-0 so they'll take a draw

I do wonder how long before he starts getting booed and heavily criticized with the rest of them for England. I doubt he'll be revered like Gaza because Gaza didnt play for a universally hateable team like United back then.

England played?

200.gif

For myself, personally, I think the main missing ingredient is passion. We have an automaton running a team of automatons. Where's the unexpected bit of skill that turns a game on its head? Or the crunching tackle that gets the crowd and players fired up? Poland are getting knocked for their robustness but wouldn't we like to see that sort of fire and brimstone from our players?
Instead we get sour faced Beaky on the sidelines politely clapping a goal...who you fooling fella? You're shitting yourself that you're a couple of poor results from losing your cushy job and ending up in the Steve McClaren school of obscurity.
But we'll plod along, getting to tournaments and getting to the later stages before coming undone against the 1st decent team we play and it'll be the same old " plucky England " stories being rolled out.
I'd rather have a manager who knows how to motivate and innovate AND win than one who is afraid to lose.
Rant over (until the next international break anyhow)