The World Cup Thread | Page 28 | Vital Football

The World Cup Thread

Most simple long term solution is to have a policy of bringing our own young English players through or only signing players from Europe. Then you only have to worry about the European qualifiers and their timetables.

Big mistake letting JT leave, i'm sure our Argentine players would have stayed in England if JT had offered t look after their Wives whilst they went away for 10 days

I expected him to have a change of heart and be back once he copped sight of missus Buendia tbh

"Aston Villa did not understand the regulations of Brazil and why it happened". This is what Martinez said. Don't know what he thought. Rules are pretty elastic in Brazil but everyone should have known what the rules as written were. Questions should be asked of Villa.

Strange how Marlvelous stuck with Villa but the Argies decided to cause a fuss, I'd be remembering that if I was the manager but of course he's not our record signing or No1 keeper and has to fight for his place.
Shame we aren't strong enough player-wise to give them a seat on the bench for a few weeks .

Well Zimbabwe are shit and have next to no chance of qualifying so cant imagine their FA kicking up too much of a fuss. They are probably just happy to have one of theirs playing in the PL.
Argentina have clearly been pushing clubs and players on the situation and to be fair to them they did have their toughest qualifier away to Brazil. If we had refused to let them leave I'm sure their FA would have done everything they could to have the club sanctioned, and quite possible told the 2 Emi's and the Spuds lads they could lose their spots for future games.

I don't know how much Nakamba cares about international football in general, he only has 15 caps and hasn't had one since 2019.

For Martinez he has just broken into the first team and 'making a stand' would set him out of the picture. Buendia, well, is so desperate to be involved he will jet half way across the world for a training session.

Since both of our players are not established at the international level they are seemingly more willing to take the risk or else be left out in the cold. Doesn't make it 'right' in the grand scheme of things it has to be said but that is probably their thought process.
I understand all that mate, but Marv has been doing a lot for the kids of his country all summer and really cares about it. Martinez has lived in England since he was 17 and Buendia has actually played for Spain u19s so he hasn't lived in Argentina since he was a child.
I get all that but why is it only the Argy players that have made a fuss and because they play for Villa it's ok .

Could you not refuse to let them go to a match that they could not play in due to covid restrictions?

No, Argentina still would have wanted them for the first match anyway. We haven't heard the truth of what has gone on here between Brazil and Argentina, some reporters are suggesting they were supposed to be making exceptions for the team as they had done something similar for the Copa America when it was in Brazil. Seems like a lot of political games going on between the two.

Purslow makes his final statement before being sacked for utter incompetence/being weak/ not being like Manure under Fergie/ lying.and making a hastily arranged statement.:lol:

Note during this interview Putslow states that the club came to an micable agreement with the Argies to allow 'our players to play in important (to them) matches.

This will clearly be another hastily arranged statement I suppose

Sack Emi1 and 2 get them.out. :lol:.

Brazil v Argentina controversy will make clubs 'nervous' to release players says Aston Villa CEO - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58467766

Eminently sensible comments from Purslow. I am glad we have such experience in charge. I don't think he has put a foot wrong in all of this and if I had my way he should be knighted.

No, Argentina still would have wanted them for the first match anyway. We haven't heard the truth of what has gone on here between Brazil and Argentina, some reporters are suggesting they were supposed to be making exceptions for the team as they had done something similar for the Copa America when it was in Brazil. Seems like a lot of political games going on between the two.
Not talking about the first game. They could have left after that." Aston Villa did not understand the regulations of Brazil and why it happened." From Martinez. Maybe proper explanation to Martinez and Buendia about their legal situation in all of this might have led to a different outcome. There must also be legal grounds on the basis they would be flouting the actual law (as opposed to speculation on exceptions).

Eminently sensible comments from Purslow. I am glad we have such experience in charge. I don't think he has put a foot wrong in all of this and if I had my way he should be knighted.
At some point, this will come back to haunt you, he's Ex Chelsea and Ex Liverpool for a reason, he's a smarmy fecker but yes he's our smarmy fecker.

I have lost faith in people since the Grealish situation My club my home my Ass.

It's a job and money to them all

Not talking about the first game. They could have left after that." Aston Villa did not understand the regulations of Brazil and why it happened." From Martinez. Maybe proper explanation to Martinez and Buendia about their legal situation in all of this might have led to a different outcome. There must also be legal grounds on the basis they would be flouting the actual law (as opposed to speculation on exceptions).
it's been "managed" appallingly by Villa , unless the players went against club instructions which i believe could be the case if the real truth ever comes out. Remember they were airborne before the club rushed an official statement out.

At some point, this will come back to haunt you, he's Ex Chelsea and Ex Liverpool for a reason, he's a smarmy fecker but yes he's our smarmy fecker.

I have lost faith in people since the Grealish situation My club my home my Ass.

It's a job and money to them all
couldn't agree more

If Purslow didn't know what the regulations were in Brazil he should have done. Was it simply hubris and expectation that footballers would be exempt? He's hardly cleared things up with this statement.

Which shows how pointless it is, but clubs can't refuse.

The whole thing should be rebalanced in a clubs favour but I think folks have been saying that for the last 40 years.
Maybe but clubs don't have agents. Put any pressure on players and straight away the agent is in there pushing for a move and another bung for himself.

If Purslow didn't know what the regulations were in Brazil he should have done. Was it simply hubris and expectation that footballers would be exempt? He's hardly cleared things up with this statement.

Is that down to Purslow or the Argentinian F.A though ? The players were in the care of the AFA as I understand it.

it's been "managed" appallingly by Villa , unless the players went against club instructions which i believe could be the case if the real truth ever comes out. Remember they were airborne before the club rushed an official statement out.
Even if they did go against club instructions I'd like to know why somebody at Villa park didn't Google "Brazil entry requirements covid". It's £60 m of the club's balance sheet on the plane.

Is that down to Purslow or the Argentinian F.A though ? The players were in the care of the AFA as I understand it.
After the AFA contradicted the club on how long the Villa players would be staying I'd be looking after my assets myself rather than relying on them. Common sense.

After the AFA contradicted the club on how long the Villa players would be staying I'd be looking after my assets myself rather than relying on them. Common sense.

Which is why this thread is going round in circles. Once the players are called up there is very little we can do to stop them going if they want to as per the FIFA rules. They are clearly proud countryman and want to play .

On a wider point why we can't be proud of our players becoming internationals is a puzzle to me.