The World Cup Thread | Page 23 | Vital Football

The World Cup Thread

No idea mate might be bull shine, they might be still in a Brazillian jail for all we know. The Sooner they get back the better
Martinez was in picture on plane going back to Buenos Aires. So maybe he is staying for Bolivia game. It's travelling 3 hours the wrong way to go to Europe.

It would be great if Argentina were thrown out of the world cup for this.

In all seriousness. CONMEBOL forced through a Copa America no one wanted. That time could have been used for qualifiers. Instead money took precedence over common sense and the health of players (given it's a global pandemic).

Heads need to role at CONMEBOL, they are a basket case organisation.

Interesting, probably have the same permission our two had, ie retrospective
Apparently Spurs fumming. Club are talking about disciplinary action because they went against the clubs wishes, our pair put pressure on the club, but we did sanction it beforhand.

how could you sanction some clubs but not others ?
hard to see how being selected for the olympics makes a difference to the players from other clubs - hardly fair for there be some sort of quota that means you can ignore the 'rules'

none of the 'big clubs' are going to be sanctioned are they

I stand to be corrected, but the Olympics don't fall under normal FIFA rulings I think I read, so it's just an assumption with Everton letting him go for the Olys Brazil have played fair here.

which clubs are being sanctioned ?
I thought no action was being taken against Brazilian no shows
Wolves and Newcastle were even able to stop the Mexican lads going.

We can't stop them going (no more than we can 'let' them go) but players don't have to make themselves available and normally you expect employees to pay some regard to their employers instructions.

lots of knot tying for the fairly simple case of we asked them not to go and they said nope

Everyone bar Everton at this point from what I've been able to find.

Watching BBC Sport last night I cant remember if they said 11 or 13 Brazilians playing in the PL none were called up for the game so they knew what was happening so why not The Argies.

Think they were told to leave as quickly as possible. So the whole team going back to Buenos Aires make sense.
Hmmm ...I wonder if it was a different flight to what they would have taken anyway. If they leave today they will probably not be back in Europe until tomorrow which is 11 days before our second match. I think they will probably stay.

It was claimed a few days ago that Spurs had struck the same agreement as us.
I think the clubs reluctantly agreed as they were under a lot of pressure from the players. But obviously these players' decisions have consequences. Not sure what the right course of action is when it comes to Martinez and Buendia to be honest.

It gets even more awkward as more fixtures happen over the year.

Even if they fly to Croatia today they then need 10 days there so the earliest they'd be back in Bodymoor is the Friday before Everton so they will miss that too i reckon