The World Cup Thread | Page 19 | Vital Football

The World Cup Thread

Do you, or anyone, have a link to confirmation of this? Not a loaded question. Not sure it was decreed, or just advised, or what. Not sure who said yes, who said no.

I made a similar statement, put it this way - I’d be very worried if the highly paid CEO wasn’t involved in this decision making, and if he isn’t then he bloody well should be!

Just because the players were available doesn't mean they should have been selected if the rules HAD BEEN FOLLOWED. Anyone who thinks the club are to blame just seem to be want to blame the club at every opportunity they get. The buck stops at the Argentinian fa. Simple as that

There's a long thread underneath this post all in Portuguese where the original poster and a Brazilian guy basically agree the law doesn't make sense.
The mad thing is that both the Argentina and in our case DL all play for the same team, are all in each other's company and no doubt in close quarters. But for some reason If DL was picked tonight he would not have to self-isolate for 14 days, but the other two would have, do they not realise that Covid is airborne and transmitted in that way.

Think it’s difficult to question Villa’s part in this debacle with any confidence or real knowledge as to what has actually been discussed or what’s gone on behind the scenes. No doubt it’ll be explained in due course so perhaps criticising individuals should be left until we know the full facts. Just a thought for those who seem to be contiunually criticising the club and those working in it at every conceivable opportunity!

I made a similar statement, put it this way - I’d be very worried if the highly paid CEO wasn’t involved in this decision making, and if he isn’t then he bloody well should be!
Exactly. Bottom line is 2 of our players including the club record signing are now caught up in a shitstorm thousands of miles away in a pandemic.
The club is not above criticism as it seems to some on here

Reports that CONMEBOL threatened Argentina with points deduction if they didn't present a whole squad.

This is going to turn out to be a power struggle and performative shitshow between a bunch of dicks on every side. Ultimately, the Brazilian government is in charge, twats though they might be, and CONMEBOL, FIFA and the AFA need to know the rules and follow them. I feel sorry for the players being pawns in it all.

Exactly. Bottom line is 2 of our players including the club record signing are now caught up in a shitstorm thousands of miles away in a pandemic.
The club is not above criticism as it seems to some on here

Tbh. You say it all for everyone with your constant criticism so no one has to say anything more . :thumbup:

Stop the bickering, put people on ignore if you can't get on with them, makes life easier.

But I would love the link to things being said in here, so we can all see. It isn't me expecting the forum to turn into wikepedia, but it just makes sense, if you have read something for fact, to present the fact for us all to see, without having to search all over the shop.

Please.

If not, make it clear it is opinion, and don't present it as fact.

Does anyone have a PL statement saying players shouldn't go? Do we know how many other clubs stopped players, as it might be players choosing not to go.

It isn't a loaded question.

Does anyone have a PL statement saying players shouldn't go? Do we know how many other clubs stopped players, as it might be players choosing not to go.

It isn't a loaded question.
from The Guardian
Premier League clubs have united in defiance of Fifa and refused to release players for international duty in countries on the UK’s red list.

The escalating row over quarantine restrictions, and the lack of exemptions for players returning from red‑zone countries, led to Premier League clubs “reluctantly but unanimously” deciding to take action at a meeting on Tuesday. The Premier League, which has backed the clubs’ stance, has also registered its concern at Fifa’s decision to allow Conmebol teams to play three fixtures in the next two international breaks.

......part of a 19-club Premier League pact, undermined when Aston Villa struck a deal for Argentinians Emi Martinez and Emi Buendia to play in the first two of three qualifiers.

Tottenham’s Giovani Lo Celso and Cristian Romero have also gone to Argentina, who will be at full-strength against a depleted Brazil on Sunday.

snip...

Spanish clubs went to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in an unsuccessful bid to block players’ release, which gives FIFA confidence they will win a dispute with English teams.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...zil-releasing-players-red-list-countries.html