The World Cup Thread | Page 18 | Vital Football

The World Cup Thread

Surely its a case of the players being unaware of the rules as opposed to them attempting skulduggery. How did the Argentine FA not know though? How did FIFA not inform them when they were blustering about fining teams who refused to let players travel.

We’re talking about Argentina here. They knew, they all knew.

It does feel a miss that we didn’t do our diligence with this when we let the players go, I’ve just gone back to the statement from the club and it says they are available for the Brazil game in that.

Embarrassing day for football and as two villa players are at the heart of it an embarrassing day for the club. I’m not saying they should have a crystal ball to see how it would have panned out but it was clear as day that letting players travel to South America would be a mess.

Not sure I'm over bothered/embarrassed Villa wise. This is the AFA and players mess really. I do wonder why they were allowed if other clubs have stopped their players going to the red list countries but difficult to stop players who are passionate about their country and the games don't get much bigger than Brazil v Argentina.

Embarrassing day for football and as two villa players are at the heart of it an embarrassing day for the club. I’m not saying they should have a crystal ball to see how it would have panned out but it was clear as day that letting players travel to South America would be a mess.
buck stops with Purslow. Why he sanctioned this is a mystery of epic proportions . Went against EPL instructions too. Shambles

It’s a difficult one for the club. The two Emi’s are important for us as a club to progress, the last thing we want is toys coming out of prams especially as Martinez’ stock is high and would be a huge asset for a chumps league club.

The rules are fully the responsibility of the AFA, but I would hope Purslow who ultimately would’ve sanctioned the decision to let them go, surely he was asking the question as to how the Emi’s could play but Luiz couldn’t?

I'd wondered why the Brazilians were moaning about their Premier league players not being released when they'd have missed the games isolating anyway.

Apparently Brazilian passport holders don't have to isolate when entering Brazil no matter where they're from. Someone on twitter pointed out that Willian and Andreas Perriera, who have joined Brazilian clubs from premier league clubs in the last week, are already training with their new clubs in Brazil.

So apparently being Brazilian gives you immunity to covid according to those rules. Football aside has any major crisis ever been dealt with as poorly from all nations as this pandemic?

Having watched the England v Andorra game I have six observations;
One, Trippier is not a leftback.
Two, James is a better central midfielder than a rightback.
Three, Alexander-Arnold should never be allowed anywhere near a midfield place again.
Four, Bamford made some great runs but, was wasted as there was no one with enough ability to see him, let alone find him with the ball.
Five, Lingard just added a couple of million to his price tag.
Six, Bellingham looks like a player.

It’s a difficult one for the club. The two Emi’s are important for us as a club to progress, the last thing we want is toys coming out of prams especially as Martinez’ stock is high and would be a huge asset for a chumps league club.

The rules are fully the responsibility of the AFA, but I would hope Purslow who ultimately would’ve sanctioned the decision to let them go, surely he was asking the question as to how the Emi’s could play but Luiz couldn’t?

Luiz didn't get called up. And as per my above post wouldn't have had to isolate in Brazil as he's a Brazilian national.

all we need now to top this off is Martinez or Buendia to catch covid which is another huge risk that seems to have been dismissed or overlooked

Luiz didn't get called up. And as per my above post wouldn't have had to isolate in Brazil as he's a Brazilian national.
So if you're a Brazilian national, and you live in the UK you don't have to isolate despite the fact that you can't get or carry Covid how does that make any sense

buck stops with Purslow. Why he sanctioned this is a mystery of epic proportions . Went against EPL instructions too. Shambles

Do you, or anyone, have a link to confirmation of this? Not a loaded question. Not sure it was decreed, or just advised, or what. Not sure who said yes, who said no.

So if you're a Brazilian national, and you live in the UK you don't have to isolate how does despite the fact that you can't get or carry Covid how does that make any sense

Not read up but I doubt that. Same if you are a UK national, if you leave for certain countries, you have to isolate when home. So you would imagine anyone coming from the UK - Brazilian or otherwise - would have to isolate for the 14 days talked about in Brazil.

So if you're a Brazilian national, and you live in the UK you don't have to isolate despite the fact that you can't get or carry Covid how does that make any sense

And we (the U.K.) were still letting these f’ing Brazilians fly in en masse only until about 6 months ago.

Basically yes. So if Doug had been called up he'd have been fine to play tonight. As for it making sense... It doesn't!!

We’re talking about Argentina here. They knew, they all knew.

And no doubt the Brazilians knew this too. All stinks of a set up to me, did they really not know they were travelling and there was a big international game due with high profile players from all over the world playing? Only realised this after the game kicked off?? They had no problem hosting the Copa America a few months ago. My guess is the Argies assumed an exemption would be given but then the Brazilians didn't give this for whatever reason. A total farce and failure from all involved.

Do you, or anyone, have a link to confirmation of this? Not a loaded question. Not sure it was decreed, or just advised, or what. Not sure who said yes, who said no.
There is nothing i can see on what Villa agreed to (or didn't). Maybe the players just went without any agreement ?? The EPL instructions were well documented and that was do not go to RED countries.

Basically yes. So if Doug had been called up he'd have been fine to play tonight. As for it making sense... It doesn't!!
It makes about much sense as giving British nationals from red and amber list countries up to a week to get back into the country without needing to isolate

Not read up but I doubt that. Same if you are a UK national, if you leave for certain countries, you have to isolate when home. So you would imagine anyone coming from the UK - Brazilian or otherwise - would have to isolate for the 14 days talked about in Brazil.

There's a long thread underneath this post all in Portuguese where the original poster and a Brazilian guy basically agree the law doesn't make sense.