The Wire | Vital Football

The Wire

mehmets_curlies

Vital Squad Member
Started watching this series again, for the 3rd time. Just finished season 1, and realised, yet again, just how good it is. Excellent writing, acting, some great comedic scenes (fuck, fuck...motherfucker lo) and a great theme tune. For a moment I thought Asaba had taken up acting as Omar's BF

Started watching this series again, for the 3rd time. Just finished season 1, and realised, yet again, just how good it is. Excellent writing, acting, some great comedic scenes (fuck, fuck...motherfucker lo) and a great theme tune. For a moment I thought Asaba had taken up acting as Omar's BF
One of the five best TV series ever. Enjoy.

Watched the first episode years ago but never got round to continuing with it, think it was when I was moving house/ cancelling sky. It's one of the many programmes I intend to watch, one thing I remember though is it's very hard to understand the language/slang. Makes it realistic though.

Watched the first episode years ago but never got round to continuing with it, think it was when I was moving house/ cancelling sky. It's one of the many programmes I intend to watch, one thing I remember though is it's very hard to understand the language/slang. Makes it realistic though.
Understanding the language was why I watched it again, and it becomes easier

I found subtitles a big help especially when they were using street slang. Didn't have a clue what a re-up was till I googled it

Incredible series, think I was quite fortunate that being into hip hop I was ok with the references/accent/slang. My username is literally named after a character.

Definitely a slow burn compared to say The Sopranos or Breaking Bad. Took me about 6 episodes but by the episode when Omar's bf is found on the hood of the car with his insides out I was hooked. The writing is truly masterful, Dickensian in scope.

Incredible series, think I was quite fortunate that being into hip hop I was ok with the references/accent/slang. My username is literally named after a character.

Definitely a slow burn compared to say The Sopranos or Breaking Bad. Took me about 6 episodes but by the episode when Omar's bf is found on the hood of the car with his insides out I was hooked. The writing is truly masterful, Dickensian in scope.
Idris Elba was superb, as were most of the cast. I think the guy who played Bubbles put in some incredible performances. Scary to see just how much these drug gangs control the slums/projects, and how utterly desperate life must be there

"I tell you to get someone, you're getting them - I ain't asking'

Surprised you think it is a slower start than Breaking Bad or the Sopranos though. The first episode of Breaking Bad is basically Bryan Cranston coughing, and it literally took me 3 goes to get passed the first episode of Sopranos.

I anyone likes The Wire I would recommend "Gommorah' which is similarly gritty and bleak (Naples instead of Baltimore).

Scary to see just how much these drug gangs control the slums/projects, and how utterly desperate life must be there
Have you read David Simon's books - (The Corner especially)? Definitely recommend if you haven't, the real life version is just as bad.

Surprised you think it is a slower start than Breaking Bad or the Sopranos though. The first episode of Breaking Bad is basically Bryan Cranston coughing, and it literally took me 3 goes to get passed the first episode of Sopranos.

I anyone likes The Wire I would recommend "Gommorah' which is similarly gritty and bleak (Naples instead of Baltimore).
Great shout: Gomorrah is on now and is also very good although missing one of the main characters this series.

Dominic West is incredible in The Wire. When you talk to americans they cannot believe he is english.

I read the book of how the Wire came about and the stories of the individuals that the characters are based on. It is hard to believe that people have so little to look forward to that they end up in a never ending spiral of misery. Really sad

Yea I was instantly hooked on the premises of both those shows in terms of what they're about whereas The Wire took a little bit longer for me, but I remember once I got the 2nd season just being completely obsessed with it.

Love Gomorrah as well. I would also recommend Top Boy which is getting a new series on Netflix, miniseries on inner city London among the same tone, thought that was excellent.

I've started watching The Wire again too- superb, up there with Sopranos for best TV series of all time IMO

A number of the supporting roles in The Wire were played by actual (and hopefully former) Baltimore gang members.

A number of the supporting roles in The Wire were played by actual (and hopefully former) Baltimore gang members.

Felicia Pearson, the girl that played Snoop was in jail for murder before the series started then got a suspended sentence for drug dealing after it ended!

Felicia Pearson, the girl that played Snoop was in jail for murder before the series started then got a suspended sentence for drug dealing after it ended!

She was the main one I needed subtitles for. Most of the others I could make out what they were saying, even if I didn't necessarily understand all the terms they were using, but Snoop might as well have been talking in Chinese, I couldn't understand a word of it.

She was the main one I needed subtitles for. Most of the others I could make out what they were saying, even if I didn't necessarily understand all the terms they were using, but Snoop might as well have been talking in Chinese, I couldn't understand a word of it.
I agree, I don't think they could have put up subtitles either