The What Are You Reading Thread! | Page 11 | Vital Football

The What Are You Reading Thread!

Only just got into the Jack Reacher books.

I'm trying to read them in order, on about the 4th or 5th one now.

Really good books that you don't have to invest much thought or effort into.

Just finished Ricky Pontings autobiography.

Good read very interesting.

Next up is David Walsh's book about Lance Armstrong. He is the journo who fought for years to expose Armstrongs drug taking.

I recently read a book called 'the 100 year old man who climbed out a window.' It's up there with the best books I have ever read! I recommend, no I urge! everyone who hasn't, to read it. Absolutely brilliant book.

Now, I realise I'm very late to the party on this, but after putting it off for so long, I've just finished harry potter and the philosophers stone (yesterday) and am already three chapters in to the chamber of secrets. I think it's fair to say I'm hooked!!

James06 - 18/2/2014 18:47

....I've just finished harry potter and the philosophers stone (yesterday) and am already three chapters in to the chamber of secrets.

..although I see with some of you it's a close run thing. :13:

The Fear - 4/2/2014 16:18

Couple of Jeffrey Archer Books, no use me trying to remember the names though!

Now a Ken Follet book based on a true story, On Wings Of Eagles, ... rescue of two captive businessmen in Iran.

As it says on the book cover would have been great if fiction, even more fascinating that it is true!

This is Follett writing for an America audience and it shows.

Every American belongs to the sort of perfect family, Hollywood likes to present.

I am a huge fan of Follett and the fact that they are flawed, predictable and full of clichés, never spoils the fun.

When I read Wolf Hall not long ago, I concluded that Follett could have made a better job of telling the story.

He is amazingly good at filling out the historical details without seeming to break stride.

In Fall of Giants, he manages to explain the origins of WW1, in a single drawing-room scene, and doesn't seem to miss anything out.

Hilariously clichéd but a master of his craft.

Saurat - 18/2/2014 20:00

James06 - 18/2/2014 18:47

....I've just finished harry potter and the philosophers stone (yesterday) and am already three chapters in to the chamber of secrets.

..although I see with some of you it's a close run thing. :13:

Spent years fending off people (of all ages and intelligience) urging me to read the Harry Potter series.
I was shocked when my mate (former buyer for JLR now buyer at coca cola) read them, when he had kids, and told me I should do so as they are so good.
It's taken me having kids, and being too tight to purchase new books so finally working my to them on the family kindle, to decide to finally do it.

I will happily hold my hands up and say I wish I'd done it earlier, they are great so far... and apparently get better?

and yes, I had exactly the same patronising snobby opinion as you before i had kids Saurat.
:35:

I wonder if Saurat could recommend some good books by black authors.
Not long complicated story lines though.Just something simple !

I`m on my 11th Lee Child Book now (The Jack Reacher series),Bad Luck and Trouble.I know you don`t have to read them in order,but I have anyway.Lee Child can`t resist naming his characters after Villa players/managers can he ?
"The Hard Way" has a Graham Taylor and a John Gregory in.

I'm in a reading slump but am away in May so have a few Simon Scarrow gladiator books set aside.

I am reading "The Chimp Paradox" by Steven Peters the sports psychologist who is going to help England at the world cup.

Just started but so far its fascinating.

I've just started Wounds of Honour by Anthony Riches. So far so good. I have a Simon Scarow put aside to read soon and 3-4 books in Norwegian by Jo Nesbø a Norwegian crime writer. I've not read anything of his before but he's probably the most popular Norwegian crime writer right now and crime novels are a big thing o er here, in partivular around Easter......it's this strange tradition they have. People who rarely read suddenly become avid consumers of crime novels.

In the English speaking world Nesbø is probably best known for a children's book he wrote, Doctor Proctor's Fart Powder.

sirdennis - 27/3/2014 15:35

I am reading "The Chimp Paradox" by Steven Peters the sports psychologist who is going to help England at the world cup.

Just started but so far its fascinating.

Surely England can't pick Bale.

Clubpaver - 28/3/2014 13:07

I`m on my 11th Lee Child Book now (The Jack Reacher series),Bad Luck and Trouble.I know you don`t have to read them in order,but I have anyway.Lee Child can`t resist naming his characters after Villa players/managers can he ?
"The Hard Way" has a Graham Taylor and a John Gregory in.

Glad you are enjoying Lee Child's alter ego Clubpaver. He is a very good character and it is a very good series. Yeah I think Graham Taylor was an FBI agent from memory? Can't remember now...

I've just finished reading A Dance with Dragons by George RR Martin. It is the 5th of 7 planned books in the series titled A Song of Ice and Fire which is what the HBO series Game of Thrones is based on.

Amazing series with so many intricately connected characters, plots, subplots and twists, it constantly leaves you guessing. Can not wait for the 6th book to be released. I am not one usually one to enjoy fantasy novels but these books are an exception.

Thinking about planning my future travels next year (yes, already) - I'm bored - and can't wait to get back...

So it's 'The Rough Guide to Southeast Asia' for me.......

Clubpaver - 19/2/2014 13:28

I wonder if Saurat could recommend some good books by black authors.
Not long complicated story lines though.Just something simple !

'12 Years A Slave' is topping the bestseller lists now, thanks to the Oscar winning film -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Twelve-Years-Slave-Collins-Classics/dp/0007580428/ref=sr_1_1?s=b

Also, a modern classic, 'Things Fall Apart' -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Things-Fall-Apart-Penguin-Classics/dp/0141023384/ref=sr_1_1?s

Villan Of The North - 27/3/2014 22:15

I've just started Wounds of Honour by Anthony Riches. So far so good. I have a Simon Scarow put aside to read soon and 3-4 books in Norwegian by Jo Nesbø a Norwegian crime writer. I've not read anything of his before but he's probably the most popular Norwegian crime writer right now and crime novels are a big thing o er here, in partivular around Easter......it's this strange tradition they have. People who rarely read suddenly become avid consumers of crime novels.

In the English speaking world Nesbø is probably best known for a children's book he wrote, Doctor Proctor's Fart Powder.

I really enjoyed Wounds of honour, the Simon Scarrow one is not as good so it's going slowly, I've not picked it up for about 2 weeks.