The What Are You Reading Thread! | Page 14 | Vital Football

The What Are You Reading Thread!

The Fear - 12/1/2018 21:16

I didn't know Michael Crichton had died?

Tis passed me by too. According to his wiki page he left us in 2008.

Villan Of The North - 12/1/2018 19:29

What did you think of Next? I liked it but found the ending a little wishy washy.

As for Dan Brown, I read The Da vinci Cose and that was enough for me, a really poor writer in my estimation.

just easy reading holiday books really. Thought Next was fine, can't totally recall if I'm honest, genetics and chimps, what more do you want though!

For any Villans that haven’t read it yet, Paul McGrath’s ‘Back From The Brink’ is the best footballer’s autobiography I have ever read.

Fascinating, brutally honest, no excusing himself.

I was genuinely in tears reading the chapter written by his birth mother about the circumstances in which she gave him up.

Brilliant sections from Graham Taylor (Words to the effect of ‘I’d never have signed him had I known how many demons he had but once I did I had a responsibility to help him’ and McGrath can’t speak highly enough of him) and Alex Ferguson (‘the most natural athlete I ever managed’).

Heartbreaking and brilliant- like the man himself.

The Moon's a Balloon by David Niven.

I first read this years ago and it is a fascinating Hollywood autobiography
from this very English raconteur and self confessed "sex addict" told in his own humorous manner.

Attachments

• ImagesCA42JX7J.jpg
    ImagesCA42JX7J.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 0
Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes. Fiction about the Vietnam War by an officer who served in it.
In my opinion a classic to stand alongside All Quiet on the Western Front, The Willing Flesh and The Naked and the Dead.

Dan Brown... Origin. I enjoyed it, I like the themes he brings up.

Also read Inferno. I liked the theme of that, how to save the planet from us (humans)

Read a book on the history of Che Guevara. I'd had it for ages and never got round to it, so now I have!

And then for a change of tone, Wilbur Smith .. War Cry. It's co-written and is a return to form. It's back to the old school... a story about one of the Courtney family.