The What Are You Reading Thread! | Page 13 | Vital Football

The What Are You Reading Thread!

I've just finished "We Chose to Speak of War and Strife" by John Simpson.
It's very good although perhaps 50 pages too long.
It also helped me appreciate (once again) what a great service we get from our libraries. Here's a book with a cover price of £25, published only last year, and an OAP like myself can borrow and enjoy it.

Yes, read the Secret Footballer also JPA... a fair while back. As you say, pretty interesting but there was something about the guy that wasn't very likeable!

BodyButter - 9/5/2017 12:48

I've just bought The Girl on The Train. I'll have a go at it tonight.

You might, on reflection, want to say what you intend in slightly less ambiguous language. :14:

I've just finished 'The Legend of King Arthur'.
I must admit that when I picked it up, I misread the title as, The Leg End of King Arthur', which had me wondering, which end of King Arthur's leg could warrant a book of some 6-700 pages length. I was all fired up to find out if King Arthur's hip or ankle would be the books theme, not only that but, which leg.
It took me three chapter's of reading to realise my error..
On the one hand, I was glad but, on the other hand, I was sad that King Arthur's leg-end was not going to receive any more attention.

Stand by your manhood by Peter Lloyd. Was well written and dispelled some myths around gender inequality. Made me think in a different way. Worth a read for many young men i recon.

Ffenestri, Welsh-language book. Basically very short stories about mundaine things for people who are crap at speaking Welsh like me.

"Lustrum" by Robert Harris.
It's the middle book in a trilogy about ancient Rome with Cicero as the main character. I got it as a gift so haven't read the first book so will probably order it from the library.
Meanwhile, my better half is reading "A Murder Is Announced" by Agatha Christie. I read it years ago and remember who did the deed so there will be no point in my re-reading it when she's done.

A few autobiographies.

Phil Collins... decent if you liked Genesis and his solo work.

Dalai Lama .. a life in exile. Fascinating modern history. Can't quite believe how Tibet was simply occupied and no one helped. Shame they didn't have oil I suppose.

Bear Grylls. Fabulous, the chapters about going up Mount Everest are superb.

Tom Ross.. The Game's Gone. Really enjoyable read.

The Fear - 5/6/2017 21:28

A few autobiographies.

Phil Collins... decent if you liked Genesis and his solo work.

Dalai Lama .. a life in exile. Fascinating modern history. Can't quite believe how Tibet was simply occupied and no one helped. Shame they didn't have oil I suppose.

Bear Grylls. Fabulous, the chapters about going up Mount Everest are superb.

Tom Ross.. The Game's Gone. Really enjoyable read.

The Dalai Lama went in to Pizza Hut and uttered those Immortal words.
"Can you make me one with everything" :3:

Started Wilbur Smith Paraoh and found it unreadable, just awful, didn't get through the first chapter. One of my favourite authors but hated the style of this one.

Reading Predator by him at the moment and that's decent.

Michael Chrichton Prey... nice easy read and a decent story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prey_(novel)

Went to The Works yesterday and found Dalai Lama 'Becoming Enlightened' which I'm looking forward to reading. Be a good follow up to the 'Life in exile' as I talked about above. That was more historic about growing up, China invading Tibet etc etc. This one is more about the faith so should be fascinating.

I know I need to read more but never seem to get the time, I do however read to the grand kids and love it.

I'm reading Big Ron's book - The Manager. Man, I love Big Ron.

Still, the book is interesting. It's written in the way that he speaks so credit to the ghost writer. He bounces across topics at 50mph. One paragraph is about players getting paid so much these days and the next is about Paul McGrath's drinking and the next is about Trevor Francis.

I have another one on the go called Through The Language Glass - Why The World Looks Different in Different Languages.

This one is a bit heavier. I'm 110 pages in and we have only covered why Homer describes sheep as 'wine coloured'.

Michael Crichton. Next. Quite like his stuff.

Reading a Dan Brown book, inferno, at home buy its a hardback so didn't want to lug it around.

Folks, if you love reading, then read this.

Folks, if you don't love reading, then still read this.

It's a remarkable story (by my Sensie/martial arts instructor). Gripped on every page.

This has to be made into a film.

It's Only Pain:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Its-Only-Pain-Andy-Hopwood/dp/142590422X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515770025&sr=8-1&keywords=it%27s+only+pain+andy+hopwood

Not started readig it yeat but I've just got the Conn Igguldon War of the Roses series. His two previous series, Emporeror and Conqueror were fantastic so I have high expectations.

The Fear - 27/11/2017 15:14

Michael Crichton. Next. Quite like his stuff.

Reading a Dan Brown book, inferno, at home buy its a hardback so didn't want to lug it around.

What did you think of Next? I liked it but found the ending a little wishy washy.

As for Dan Brown, I read The Da vinci Cose and that was enough for me, a really poor writer in my estimation.