The What Are You Reading Thread! | Page 16 | Vital Football

The What Are You Reading Thread!

Finding I'm struggling with fiction at the moment, liking real stories by real people.

Read the Ant Middleton, Ollie Ollerton and currently James Fox books. They are the former SAS guys who do the channel 4 programme. All very good reads, the Ollie Ollerton one is surprisingly similar to mine school wise. The James Fox one goes more into the PTSD struggles. All good reads.

I did read mine as a proper book (as opposed to sitting at the computer writing it, editing etc) and enjoyed the experience. Might sound weird because i knew what I'd written :lol: but was nice to just read it without thoughts of edits etc. Few bits and word plays that I'm actually really proud of.

I've been trying to read American Gods but I'm not enjoying it as much as I had hoped. 250 pages in and I feel like it hasn't got going properly yet.

So I started on Talking to Strangers by the excellent Malcolm Gladwell. I'm 100 pages in and loving it. I'll be finished it by the end of the weekend.

Paul Whitehouse, Bob Mortimer - Gone Fishing. Got bought it for xmas. It is a 'nice' book same as their program on bbc2 is 'nice'. I skip through the detailed fishing lesson, but the rest is just two good guys chatting. Pleasant read.

How to be a Footballer 2 by Peter Crouch..

Very funny and some of the stories make you raise your eyebrows very much

I read my first ever book since Janet and John a few weeks ago.
I get loads of books bought me, even my kids buy me books and even when I say when have you seen me read a book they just laugh.I've even got Fears's book
I read lots of stuff just not books, I listen to music, just not complete albums by the same person.

It's an attention span thing I think

Gone Tomorrow - It's a Jack Reacher book. I haven't read any Reacher books for a while. I'm trying to spend more time reading and exercising and less time on my phone. So far, so good.

The Fear Bubble.. Ant Middleton. It is ok, but I've seen his documentary on climbing everest, so have heard some of the details he's written about. A lot of the positive thinking stuff he puts in his book, is similar to my thought process and as put in my book. I must send him a copy! LOL

Yuval Noah Harari - Sapiens. A brief (it is very far from brief!!!!) history of mankind

Really interesting, looking at how mankind evolved, and also the massive destruction mankind caused 70 000 years ago. I always suspected mankind lived in harmony with the planet before the industrial revolution, seems not.

"Long before the industrial revolution, homo sapiens held the record amongst all organisms for driving the most plant and animal species to their extinctions. We have the dubious distinction of being the deadliest species in the annals of biology.'

First wave was the foragers (massive changes and destruction).
Second wave was the spread of farmers (agricultural revolution)

We are part of the third wave. Wonder if we will finish the legacy and finish off the planet, or if the planet will find a way to finish us off?!

Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes. It's novel about the war in Vietnam. Marlantes served there in the marines so he's writing from experience. Excellent!

Humankind - I'm about 5 chapters in and I'm loving it. I haven't read anything this good for a very long time. It's all about human nature and how we misrepresent ourselves in the media etc. It's fantastic (so far).

Still on the Sapiens book, been on and off with my reading lately and this is a loooong read. Good in places, rambles on in other parts!

Humankind - it's the best book I've read in a very long time. Bonus points because it's nonfiction. I can't remember another nonfiction book that I couldn't put down. I'd recommend it to everyone.

Angrynomics by Eric Lonergan and Mark Blyth

It's about our current economic and political climate and what we can do economically to remedy the situation. It's very interesting if you like a bit of economic theory. It's written as a conversation between two economists rather than an academic text book so it's a pretty easy read and Mark Blyth is always interesting.

Never Mind The Bollox, Here's The Science by Prof Luke O'Neill. It's a bit of a hodge-podge about loads of different topics. It's okay.