The What Are You Reading Thread! | Page 18 | Vital Football

The What Are You Reading Thread!

Used to love reading, I now don't read at all. Brain aches are mysterious things and I just don't have the concentration these days. Funnily enough, my dad couldn't understand that, no he has had his strokes, he is the same, and he used to read a couple of books a week.

I used to be a voracious reader too but then I got a smart phone.

"Needless Alley" is a debut novel by Natalie Marlow. It's set in Birmingham in the 1930s. It features a private detective called William Garrett. His office is in Needless Alley. You might say it's "Brummie Noir".

Last edited:
i picked up a book from a charity shop, solzhenitsyns, the gulag archipelago 3
its gruesome reading, but as i am a slow reader, the tragedies are getting to me,,
what shocked me, was that it happened in my life time. and i never had a clue about what was going on, i dont think i will be able to finish it, but should i for the sake of mankind,,seanie

i picked up a book from a charity shop, solzhenitsyns, the gulag archipelago 3
its gruesome reading, but as i am a slow reader, the tragedies are getting to me,,
what shocked me, was that it happened in my life time. and i never had a clue about what was going on, i dont think i will be able to finish it, but should i for the sake of mankind,,seanie

No, not a bundle of laughs, Seanie!

I started reading My Uncle Oswald by Roald Dahl. It's incredibly dated. It was first published in 1979 which isn't that long ago but it seems like something from the 1930s.

It is also very roguish and delinquent in that very charming Roald Dahl way.

The Big Short - I've seen the film a few times. The book is better. If reading about complex financial products and how Wall Street manipulated them to make themselves rich and the ultimately broke sounds like a good time, you'll love it.

The Big Short - I've seen the film a few times. The book is better. If reading about complex financial products and how Wall Street manipulated them to make themselves rich and the ultimately broke sounds like a good time, you'll love it.
Ive lost the reading habit. I used to be forever on the Internet ordering books, think I should start again. It was usually historical novels when I was reading.

Ive lost the reading habit. I used to be forever on the Internet ordering books, think I should start again. It was usually historical novels when I was reading.

Me too. I used to be a voracious reader but then I got a smart phone. I only bought The Big Short because I needed another book to get free delivery and I was ordering the latest one by the same author (Michael Lewis).

Me too. I used to be a voracious reader but then I got a smart phone. I only bought The Big Short because I needed another book to get free delivery and I was ordering the latest one by the same author (Michael Lewis).
Ah, yes, I meant to say that, the dreaded smart phone. Same here.