The Wesley Moræs Thread | Page 59 | Vital Football

The Wesley Moræs Thread

He naturally goes on the bench when he’s fit again not straight into the starting line up, so he’ll have to impress in the odd 20 minutes here or there he gets. He’ll get game time in more desperate times whether that’s chasing a game or seeing a game out, so let’s hope he’s worked on his all round game a bit more.

If he could work on winning first balls instead of squaring up to defenders all the time, or bringing the ball out of the air to the ground to bring midfielders into play - which his stature suits - I think he has a lot more value to our team as he becomes our Plan B.

Comparing him to Ollie is like comparing Red Rum to a donkey. I’ve see nothing in Wesley which suggests he can do what Ollie can do - become a natural goalscorer or flexible enough to play wide, even though he’s described as being someone who wants to play like Thierry Henry did.

I know a lot don’t rate Davis and I get why, but you can’t knock his ability to hold off a defender and bring a ball down. He’s as good at that as Heskey was (and that’s praise!). Davis is becoming a lost cause as much as I want to like him, but if Wesley can somehow become a hold up player and score goals, he has value to us.

Good to see Wes back in training, as much as he’s been a bit of a disappointment for a £30m player he’s much needed in the squad at the very least.

Hopefully he’s settled in Brum, he’s had the enjoyment of seeing snow for the first time (Brazilians love seeing snow), he’s seen players around him improve like Targett and Luiz even further this season, let’s hope someone works with him on his game.

I’m happy to write off my first impressions of him and give him a clean slate. Come on Wes! (but work on that poor first touch please) EABFC860-0F0D-457D-A023-9C24F85E77AB.jpegEABFC860-0F0D-457D-A023-9C24F85E77AB.jpeg

It'll be good to see him back and I'm sure even the people who don't rate him at all would be glad that he can get his career back on track. Year long injuries are not something you just comeback from the same though.

You never know this could be great. He has a cool finish on him.
Just needs to drop the falling over and moaning.

Makes such a huge difference playing in a team that is full of confidence and getting results. There have been several examples of players who were not getting glowing references last season that are now playing well.

Wesley deserves his chance to play in a team that seems to be a million miles away from a year ago. Then it will be fair to judge him properly.

And bearing in mind how long it took SJM to get up to speed he will need time as well.

Just a pity that his comeback will almost certainly be in a stadium with no fans. Imagine the reception he'd get from a packed Villa Park coming on with 25 minutes left and us 3 up. The boost it would give him, or any player, would be unreal.

Makes such a huge difference playing in a team that is full of confidence and getting results. There have been several examples of players who were not getting glowing references last season that are now playing well.

Wesley deserves his chance to play in a team that seems to be a million miles away from a year ago. Then it will be fair to judge him properly.

And bearing in mind how long it took SJM to get up to speed he will need time as well.

Only issue is that we a isolating Ollie like we did him. So he will need to understand that not much has changed. His job is to chase mostly lost causes that may pay off sometimes but it makes space for others.

Pretty much the role he didn't like before...

Only issue is that we a isolating Ollie like we did him. So he will need to understand that not much has changed. His job is to chase mostly lost causes that may pay off sometimes but it makes space for others.

Pretty much the role he didn't like before...

Yep. Its entirely up to him to adapt and move with us. Sink or swim time.

I'm looking forward to seeing him back. Starting on the bench will be good for him. The pressure is off and goals are a bonus.

Well, it doesn't seem good for Wesley does it?

He still can't sprint and his still working on his range of movement. After this amount of time, that's worrying. It could mean he doesn't recover 100% which would be a crying shame for the guy.

Looking at the bigger picture, it puts loads of pressure on Ollie Watkins as we have no-one else who can score..... and please don't say Keinan Davis.

Well, it doesn't seem good for Wesley does it?

He still can't sprint and his still working on his range of movement. After this amount of time, that's worrying. It could mean he doesn't recover 100% which would be a crying shame for the guy.

Looking at the bigger picture, it puts loads of pressure on Ollie Watkins as we have no-one else who can score..... and please don't say Keinan Davis.

As someone who's had the surgery and recovery, its bloody well difficult. There is a point for him where its going to be more mental than physical and thats what I've struggled with. Of course, doesn't help when you have a brilliant doctor and he tells you its one of the best surgeries he's ever done but doesnt want you to play again.

Anyway, there was talk of a complication during his surgery and I believe he had an added problem that it actually wasn't just his ACL but his PCL too. So many factors, whether they used a graft, did a hamstring or tendon replacement as well is another factor.

9-15 months is more the time frame, 9 being exceptional and 12 being fairly common. I think they're just being very cautious with him. He was a big investment and there is no need to rush him. For what? To sit on the bench and come as a sub to injured it again and be out for another year.

Its hard to know, they put him down for January 29th as his earliest return date. I wouldn't go writing him off yet. He is probably at the stage now where they are pushing his limits and preparing him mentally to do things he is afraid to do e.g. twisting and turning.

Reminds me a bit of Libor Kozak who picked up an injury (I think also on New Year’s Day?!) and just never returned to fitness. It was a different injury of course and I think in Kozak’s case he was terribly mismanaged by one of his doctors but just seems like it’s an injury that’s just rumbling on and on. Heaton had the same thing and is already back. I hope he can at least participate as a squad option at some point this season but it’s looking possible that he’s done for - at least at premier league level.