The Wesley Moræs Thread | Page 48 | Vital Football

The Wesley Moræs Thread

So Wesley has played 21 consecutive games and Davis hasn't played a full PL game but you've written him off because he hasn't scored?

How silly of me to expect a striker to weigh in with assists and goals.

I am also going on last season. Zilch.

And the fact we are apparently pushing onward and upward. To do that, we'll kind of need goals, or at least that is my understanding of how football works.

Not sure I've been in the woohoo, isn't Wes a great striker camp either by the way

I'm just an old fashioned kind of guy, I like my goalkeepers to save goals, my strikers to set up and score.

There's virtually no place for Davis at this football club if we aspire to do more than survive, it's really that cut and dry, they guy poses absolutely no threat in the oppositions box and that is untenable for a forward. Yes he does other things pretty well but he's a striker and needs to chip in with goals.

For all the good things Davis does can anyone imagine him making the runs across defenders that Wesley did when he scored vs Everton or Arsenal? Davis might have but he'd have done it a few seconds too late and nothing would have come if it. Gabby was the same but had a much better supply line and was so quick in his pomp that his speed of foot compensated for his slowness of thought.

You can have a striker that does nothing outside the box but scores goals such as Gary Lineker.
You cannot have a striker that is good in build up play but doesn't score goals. Because if you play one upfront you are relying on midfielders and wingers to score your goals.
I can't be bothered to look but I hazard a guess that top goalscoring charts across the world are routinely topped by strikers and not midfielders and wingers .

If it's satisfactory now to have a striker that is simply good at getting the ball and bringing other players into the game with a simple pass then shall we play Connor upfront because he does that. And the Brucey bonus is Connor can find the net.:wahey:

For all the good things Davis does can anyone imagine him making the runs across defenders that Wesley did when he scored vs Everton or Arsenal?

Yes, I can why not? He scored one against Crewe like that set up by Jack just the same.

I would have so loved him to come good, or at least to have got a goal in the last game. Nothing against the young man at all, quite the opposite. But if we are looking to truly push on - I hope the actions back up the words this summer - then we need to step up to the plate striker wise.

That isn't just Davis (and to be fair, this is meant to be the Wes thread) but also Sumatta, who looks poor so far, and Wes who hardly set the world alight - and whose injury is a worry. They aren't easy to get over.

Do you cut your losses on Wes and Sumatta? I don't have the answer to that because I don't know our budgets, our owners plan (how long to push on etc) or how they are in training, if they have had enough time to settle and so on and so forth. Totally in the dark.

I doubt any of them are what we need to push on.

I doubt any of them are what we need to push on.

This.

Maybe one or all can improve. But so far, they haven't been what we've been looking for and it would be asking for big trouble if we went into next season without somebody much better. Maybe use them as back-up.

Will be interesting to see what effect Shakespeare will have on the attacking side of things. Maybe he can use them more effectively. But we can't plan on that for next season.

I'm in the minority I know but I think Wesley will come good.
Wouldn't like to see him leave now, have a feeling he'd end up another that goes on to do well elsewhere. For me he shows much more promise than Davis and Samatta put together. Problem is we didn't complement it with someone for the here and now.

Goes without saying that we can't be going into the new season relying on him, which I'm sure we won't let happen.

I think he gets more stick than he deserves personally.

As far as I can see Wesley doesn't do headers, big minus for a forward. Davis just does misdirected headers. Samatta is the only one good at headers (great one against Man C). Samatta would do better if our players released the ball early for him, but we don't do that.

Seem to have wondered into a Wesley vs Davis debate... My only contribution would be to say they are both complete and utter dog shit.

As far as I can see Wesley doesn't do headers, big minus for a forward. Davis just does misdirected headers. Samatta is the only one good at headers (great one against Man C). Samatta would do better if our players released the ball early for him, but we don't do that.

I can think of at least 3 excellent headed opportunities in the last few games alone that he blazed over. Elmo sent in some beauts. I think his heading might be overrated. Not sure if Wes would have done any better, but he couldn't have done much worse.

That LC final goal was pretty great though...

I think there is a player in there with both of them. Davis needs to go out on loan and find the net. He has to learn where it is and how to finish. If not he will not make it at this level. Wesley needs to show that he is willing to work hard enough to be a Premiership player. The Prem is the hardest league in the world and the foreign players that succeed in it work their socks off to be a success. If either of them think they are good enough for this league already then both need replacing.

Agree with Dumble, I think Wesley will improve , he has way more potential than Samatta and Davis , albeit I like Davis as an option off the bench on 65/70 mins,